The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2013, 03:36 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Cast bullets for 460sw

Looking for lead bullets to reload for 460sw. From what others have said they change trajectory substantially with light loads so I will probably shoot for around 1500-1700fps as my light load. I can get the jacketed Hornady XTP's but I would like to fire something a little cheaper. Also a source would be great. Will they have to be gas checked, if so am I saving anything over the hornady offering? If its not a substantial savings than its probably not worth it.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 22, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

If you are going for that kind of velocity I would suggest getting gas checked bullets. Avoid the hype of going for a harder alloy. Fit trumps hardness by a wide margin. Slug your cylider chambers, and barrel. The cylinders should be a couple of thousandths larger than the bore diameter. Find a bullet that is at least a thousandth if not two thousandths over the diameter of the cylinder chamber.

Also plated bullets can be pushed a little faster than plain ungaschecked lead. I have had good results with Berry's in .41 Mag at full on jacketed veloctiies. Though I worked those up carefuly.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
buck460XVR

You will find that good gas checked bullets and premium hard cast bullets acceptable for performance in your .460 will cost you at least as much as jacketed bullets if not more. So unless you cast your own, or prefer premium hard cast for dangerous game, you're better off stickin' with jacketed. If you want to save some monies on jacketed for lower recoil loads, you can use cheaper, thinner jacketed bullets intended for use in .45 Colt. Just don't drive them to legitimate .460 velocities.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:38 AM   #4
BoogieMan

Thanks guys. I am going to stick with the jacketed offering for now. 460xvr are you using mag large rifle primers or LRP?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 23, 2013, 10:18 AM   #5
rogerxvr

large rifle magnum........
Old February 23, 2013, 10:19 AM   #6
buck460XVR

Quote:
460xvr are you using mag large rifle primers or LRP?
Depends on the powder. With H110/W296 I always use LRM primers. With IMR4227 I use LR. I rarely use any other powders nowadays for the .460. Some folks claim that with the large capacity of the .460 cases, one does not need the Mag primers with H110/W296, but they give me better consistency and I tend to use the .460 during hunting seasons when temps get below zero. That said, I've been slowly weaning myself towards all IMR4227 because it does not seem to be nearly as temperature sensitive as H110/W296. It does not give me the velocities of H110/W296, but accuracy is as good and it can be downloaded further safely. Problem is it's generally more expensive than H110/W296 and takes just as much. When one only get 150-200 rounds per pound you are talkin' maybe $4 a hundred difference.