The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2012, 09:20 PM   #1
CrustyFN

Holy smoke what a deal.

They built a new Cabelas in Charleston WV and we went down today. We stopped at Gander Mtn first and I was very impressed with their newly remodeled gun department. I asked to buy a jug of WST. The guy opened the cabinet and the price said $129.99. I thought that wasn't bad for an 8 pound bottle of WST. I looked closer and the bottle said 4 pounds. I look at the guy and said $130 bucks for four pounds of WST, are you freaking kidding me. Well we went to Cabelas and they didn't have a very good selection of powder so I came home empty handed.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:27 PM   #2
1stmar

Good selection and products but prices are not good.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:53 PM   #3
jef2015

Midsouth Shooters Supply has free hazmat on $250 or more powder/primer purchases through the 3rd.

From the email:
"Offer valid Friday, August 31, 2012 8am CST until Monday, September 3, 2012 at midnight CST.
No Hazardous Material fee on orders of $250 or more worth of powder and/or primers.
MUST ENTER PROMO CODE: FREEHAZ
Your order can have non-hazardous items in it, but it must have at least $250 worth of powder and/or primers.
In stock items only. Savings cannot be applied to back orders.
Savings cannot be applied to previous orders"
Old September 1, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Kevin Rohrer

I went to Cabela's in Michigan last year. Their powder was in a relatively small cabinet, and I have more on my basement shelves than was in that cabinet. Reloading did not seem to be a priority for them.

There are smaller chain stores in my area who actually like to sell reloading components.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old September 3, 2012, 04:41 AM   #5
dacaur

the prices on reloading stuff at the cabela's near me is in line with other places around.... And they have some stuff there that I have not been able to find ANYPLACE else locally.... They have the best price on berry's bullets around that I have found (again, locally)

Most of the guys at my work dog on cabelas prices, but I have found some of the best deals there, go figure....
Old September 3, 2012, 11:35 AM   #6
math teacher

Is there a Sportsman's Warehouse or Wholesale Sports in your area? They usually have a good selection of powder at reasonable prices.
Old September 3, 2012, 04:30 PM   #7
CrustyFN

Quote:
Is there a Sportsman's Warehouse or Wholesale Sports in your area? They usually have a good selection of powder at reasonable prices.
The only reloading supplies close to me is Walmart, so no I don't have anything local. The GM and Cabela's around 90 miles south of me didn't have much. The Cabela's 90 miles north of me is a big one and has a good powder supply last time I went but being that far away it's cheaper to buy on-line.
Old September 3, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
hooligan1

I feel you man,,, I have to purchase my powder locally, because I don't spend that money they want for Hazard Matt.... But I have some reall good places to get powder, about five I believe,,, And if I want to buy fuel I go to Cabelas in Kansas City Kansas,about thiry minutes from the house here,, and they have good selection but, I ususally take a sales flyer from another store and Bass-Pro will honor it,, thats' how I stock the ole powder shelf....
But I like to purchase bullets from Midway USA..
Old September 3, 2012, 06:55 PM   #9
tobnpr

I guess Cabela's got my info from an NRA mailing list, because I've never bought anything from them before.

Maybe if there was a store nearby, and I needed something in a hurry...

Otherwise, the "stuff" I checked prices on weren't even close to being competitive. Circular file for their catalog...
Old September 5, 2012, 01:19 AM   #10
Sphawley

+1 on Sportsmans, so lucky to have one down the street from me!!
Old September 5, 2012, 07:21 AM   #11
wingman

Long ago gave up on purchasing supplies local mostly buy in bulk from powder valley, good vendor.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Don P

Pretty sad state when you can buy of the net paying shipping and hazmat and save money over buying locally. Really a shame. Guess it tells us they are not interested in re-loaders.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Doyle

Gander Mountain is about the highest on anything. The only time I actually buy anything from them is when they mark it down on sale or clearance.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:13 AM   #14
dahermit

Quote:
Gander Mountain is about the highest on anything. The only time I actually buy anything from them is when they mark it down on sale or clearance.
Being offended by their high prices, I try not to buy anything from them. I do go in there to window shop occasionally.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:18 AM   #15
ragwd

I dont have a Cabelas in my area. I do have a Gander Mountain and a fin, feather, fur here. Gander is very high and dont really carry much reloading anymore, I do buy a occasional jeans or camo shirt from them, maybe some ammo if Im in a hurry. Fin, feather, fur has very good prices on primers and powder. High on actual hardware, as is everyone else. I always say , I will be right out, but seems as I wander around the stores much more than I intended and usually spend more more than I intended.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Ambishot

Quote:
Good selection and products but prices are not good.
In regards to Gander Mtn, this ^ is the truth.

Sad to see that it's a company-wide mentality, I thought that it was only the store in my area was outrageously high. It seems that they are hell bent on selling at or above MSRP prices.
Old September 5, 2012, 04:24 PM   #17
tobnpr

Quote:
Pretty sad state when you can buy of the net paying shipping and hazmat and save money over buying locally. Really a shame. Guess it tells us they are not interested in re-loaders.
I've got a reloading supply house fifteen miles from me that charges ridiculous prices. Like $29 for a pound of Varget...
Are you kidding me?
These guys buy in bulk, making hazmat fees negligible, and getting quantity discounts on top of it. I don't know how they stay in business, I guess there's enough people that run short on a pound of powder or primers and don't have a choice.

I know the brick and mortar stores need to charge more, but come on...
Old September 5, 2012, 04:47 PM   #18
jef2015

Quote:
Agreed. The local stores have a 50% markup over what I will pay when ordering from the internet. I am assuming a store gets a better price from the distributor than I can from the internet. If not I can point them to a couple sites with good prices and great service

Also, out of fairness to LGS, I do not include local taxes when comparing prices.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:27 PM   #19
tobnpr

I will add, in fairness, that markups from some of the online vendors are definitely tight...

P.V.'s pricing- is right with my dealer account pricing from Graf's...in some cases- P.V. is even cheaper.

But, it's really obvious which online retailers choose to be competitive in the reloading arena, and which don't.

My biggest problem isn't price, it's being able to find everything I need at the same place...

One's outta .308, 175 grain SMK's...
The other's got them, but no CCI 200 Primers...
The third's got the .308 SMK's and the Primers, but not the 7mm SMK's....

Jeez, I gotta set up a spreadsheet before I start...
Old September 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #20
dacaur

Quote:
I guess Cabela's .....

Otherwise, the "stuff" I checked prices on weren't even close to being competitive. Circular file for their catalog...
Thats the attitude of the guys at my work, but like I said, I have gotten some of my best deals there. All the good stuff I have gotten wasn't advertised stuff. Like when I was buying a GPS unit last year, I researched and decided I wanted a garmin E-trex vista HCX, So i checked online prices and online prices for the stores near me (sportsmans warehouse, REI, cabellas, big-5, etc) and the best price I found was $225 at REI. I went there and they were out of stock.... So I decided I would have to wait or pay more somewhere else. Then we decided to visit cabelas, its a 20 min drive but the kids like to see the fish and I like to look at the used guns..... We get there and they have the E-trex vista HCX in the normal box for $300, typical cabelas overprice.... Then around the corner hanging on a peg they have it in a blister pack, with a case, SD card, and the 100k topo map cd ($the map cd is $100 on its own) for $200! Score! I also got my intex seahawk II boat in the bargain cave for $75.... (the good grey one not the crappy green one) because the carry bag was ripped..... And of course they are the only shop i have found that carries a decent selection of lee reloading stuff, including my turret press kit for $105......

Sportsmans is better on some things, cabelas is better on others.... But dont dismiss cabelas out of hand..... you can get some killer bargains.....
Old September 5, 2012, 10:13 PM   #21
mrawesome22

Last GM I went in, the 18 year old working there asked my opinion on what they should stock. I told him powder. Not a single bottle in the Renoyldsburg, OH store.

sudo passwd root
Old September 5, 2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Sure Shot Mc Gee

CrustyFN:_ I know first hand your local Gander Mtn store made a mistake in their pricing concerning Winchester Super Target-wst >4lb jug. The actual price should be $68.00. You might want to go back and have them check their powder listing and correct there shelf pricing. I'm quite sure they will indeed apologize for your inconvenience and again Thank you, for bringing their incorrect powder pricing to their attention.
Old September 6, 2012, 04:41 PM   #23
CrustyFN

Quote:
CrustyFN:_ I know first hand your local Gander Mtn store made a mistake in their pricing concerning Winchester Super Target-wst >4lb jug. The actual price should be $68.00. You might want to go back and have them check their powder listing and correct there shelf pricing. I'm quite sure they will indeed apologize for your inconvenience and again Thank you, for bringing their incorrect powder pricing to their attention.
My GM isn't local it's 90 miles away. We went down there for a few different reasons and I thought I would stop by GM and the new Cabela's while we were there. Unfortunately I don't have any place local to buy reloading supplies.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:17 PM   #24
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Oops 90 miles one way. Oh my. That's a whole lot of distance. Maybe you know someone headed that way possibly in the near future that could save you a trip? (neighbor or relative?) A haz mat charge for a to the door delivery. I feel your pain CrustyFN.