The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
PhilGarn

Problems loading HP ammo

I've always loaded solid bullets and had no issues but I just started reloading some 155gr Hornady XTP bullets in .40 S&W and the seating/crimping die is deforming the edges of the hollow point. Anybody offer a solution to this? Maybe expand the case mouth a little more prior to seating? I'm using a Rock Chucker Supreme press and RCBS carbide dies.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:46 PM   #2
serf 'rett

Are seating and crimping at the same time?

I have been using plated bullets and had some concern that seating and crimping at the same time would damage the thin copper plating. So I seat the bullets first and then make another past through the Rock Chucker to remove the case mouth expansion (taper crimping).

If you trying to seat and crimp at the same time, the seating stem may be pushing down on the bullet nose while the crimper has the bullet held tight. I’m guessing this may cause deformation of the bullet.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
PhilGarn

I am seating and crimping on the same stroke. I'll adjust the die higher in the press to seat the bullets well below the crimper just to see if that fixes the deformation problems then re-run them for crimping. I'll post the outcome shortly. Thanks for the input.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:31 PM   #4
PA-Joe

Most dies come with two seating pluggers. One for round nose bullets and the other for flat. They using the other plunger. PS Some plungers are reversible.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:39 PM   #5
PhilGarn

Adjusting the die higher solved the deformation problem. I just loaded 10 rounds with no bullet damage whatsoever. I guess I'll just buy another single-function seating or crimp die to avoid having to reset the seat/crimp die every time. Thanks for the help!
Old May 8, 2012, 08:41 PM   #6
farmerboy

I load on same press, same dies and loaded same bullets and never had any problems.
Old May 8, 2012, 08:51 PM   #7
PhilGarn

farmerboy, do you seat and crimp on the same stroke of the press? If yes, how did you set your dies to do so without damaging the tips of the bullet?
Old May 8, 2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Pat T

Noticed this last time I loaded Gold Dots. Tried to cut corners on a single stage press by seating and crimping at once. Make this two operations and no problem.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:12 PM   #9
farmerboy

Yes I always seat and crimp on same stroke, if I'm going to crimp. And of I do I just barely crimp because I don't believe anymore alot of crimp is not really necessary. Just light crimp, if any. I was gonna look at my 40 call plunger for seating but it's in the press right now I'm loading some Hornadys 155 grXTPs with Unique. And gonna seat and lightly crimp in same stroke.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:42 PM   #10
farmerboy

Feel free to call if you want to chat about it. My number is 903-388-9041
Old May 9, 2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Japle

I had exactly the same problem seating 135 gr .357 Gold Dots. My solution:

I chucked a SWC seating plug in my lathe and opened it up. I drilled a small hole in the center of the plug. I mixed some JB Weld and filled the seating plug, being careful to get some in the hole I’d drilled.

After an hour, the JB Weld had gotten firm enough. I installed the plug in the die. Using a new bullet (lubed with some silicon spray), I slowly pressed the bullet into the epoxy, perfectly forming the stuff to the shape of the bullet. I’d set the seating depth to where the die wouldn’t crimp the case.

When I was finished, I had a seating punch that wouldn’t deform the Gold Dots. I need a separate crimping die, but that’s no problem on my Dillon.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:54 AM   #12
mrawesome22

Use the flat seat plug.

Sent from MIUI using Tapatalk 2.
Old May 9, 2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Japle

Quote:
Use the flat seat plug.
It mashes the edges of the HP. If the manufacturer wanted mashed edges, he'd have desidned the bullet that way.

If you're shooting paper, it doesn't matter. Of course, if you're shooting paper you're crazy to buy premium JHP bullets.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:23 PM   #14
mrawesome22

I use the flat plug and XTP's with 4 different cartridges and have never "mashed" any edges.

Sent from MIUI using Tapatalk 2.