The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 18, 2009, 08:38 AM   #1
clrmegne

.380 options – locked breech

What options in a 380 semi auto would you suggest for a lady who is recoil sensitive and has very small hands? Looking for a soft shooting, compact 380 with the following characteristics:

Locked Breech design
DAO / DA/SA
Intended for carry (but not a micro pistol)
smallish grip / trigger reach

I know there are many options that utilize a blowback design, but these characteristics seem to limit options. She owns a Taurus PT138 that fits this description. The Walther PK380 also seems to be a candidate. What else should be considered?
Old October 18, 2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Walt Sherrill

I'm curious about the locked-breech vs blowback question, too.

My experience has been limited to the P3AT, some Makarovs (so-so), a CZ-83 (blowback but very reasonable to shoot), a Grendel P12 (bigger than the P3AT, but still a beast), and similar guns.

I've come to believe that how the gun fits your hand (width, grip design, etc.) is the biggest issue, but the ones that fit the hand the best aren't really suitable for pocket carry -- the only reason I bother with these smaller guns.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; October 18, 2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:06 AM   #3
kristop64089

I highly recommend a Bersa/Firestorm .380. Seems to fit the bill(other than being blowback), and they are inexpensive. Recoil is minimal at best.
Features are:
- DA/SA
- Decocker
- slim but controlable design
- utilizes many PPK accesories
- simple breakdown

May I ask, why locked breach? That really limits the choices.

Last edited by kristop64089; October 18, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:31 AM   #4
d sage

I have a Sig P230 which is blowback and a Sig P238 which is locked breech. The P230 has much more recoil than the P238 even though the P230 is a slightly bigger, heavier gun. I really like both of these.The P230 is more accurate but gets a little painful after a few magazines. A rubber Hogue grip helps a little. For someone who is recoil sensitive the P238 would be the best choice of these two. Plus it is smaller and easier to conceal. It was a pain to break in but now with 250 rounds down the tube it is extremely reliable and fun to shoot.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:59 AM   #5
clrmegne

Quote:
May I ask, why locked breach? That really limits the choices.
The preference towards the locked breech design is based primarily on the belief it will reduce felt recoil. As an example (bit apples and oranges), she felt the recoil of both a Springfield xdsc 9 and a sig p232 was objectionable. In general, some opinions believe that a blowback 380 can have as much or more felt recoil than a compact 9. As example, I have read opinions on a Bersa forum that the Bersa 9 UC has less felt recoil than a Bersa 380. Ideally, she could have a chance to hold and shoot many, but not always easy to accomplish.

Hopefully, with more shooting and practice, she will graduate to a different platform in the future.
Old October 18, 2009, 11:41 AM   #6
PSP

Look at the brand new Walther P380... I think it's locked breech.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...ochure_web.pdf

Edit...
I forgot, the Kahr P380, DAO, locked breech, short trigger reach... that's the ticket.
Old October 18, 2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

The P3AT, Ruger LCP, Colt Mustang variants, SIG P238, Star variants, and older Llama .380s are locked breech.
My suggestion for your situation is not a .380, but the Keltec P32. They are very easy to shoot. Just sand the checkering with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to smooth it out a little.
Old October 18, 2009, 04:56 PM   #8
dreamweaver

the new sig p238 would be a good choice. modelled after the colt mustang and is like a mini 1911. very easy operation and soft recoil. easy concealed carry. I picked one up as a BUG, but the mrs got hold of it and i can't get it back!
Old October 18, 2009, 09:08 PM   #9
cavnamvet

I agree that the .380 recoil is no softer than the 9mm, when using standard
pressure loads. That said, the kahr pm9 or p9 is worth looking at.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:25 PM   #10
itman

I took my new p238 to the range to day. I love it. After 100 rounds I still wanted more. It is the first gun that I have ever fired that after the gun recoils the sight are right back on target.

But with the safety it takes a little extra training then, say a LCP or a revolver.

Good luck.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

WHO really knows, and how would you measure -- the difference in felt recoil between a blow-back and locked breech? So many variables can affect how that gun will feel in the hand.

In the final analysis, I can't help but feel that the recoil has got to be about the same if the guns are about the same weight -- given the same ammunition -- and the differences are ergonomic ones: how the gun interfaces with the hand. (Gun weight, bore axis, barrel length, recoil spring weight, gun size (grip width), grip design, grip materials, etc., etc.)

I really don't think there's a answer to this question.
Old October 19, 2009, 12:31 AM   #12
bakon

All things equal a locked breach shoots easier. I have a Mustang pocket lite which is easier than the heavier SIG P230 I had.
Old October 19, 2009, 01:11 AM   #13
WagonM

+1 with Kristop64089. I have a Bersa 380cc, I am NOT convinced that other 2x (or >2x) 380acp are 2x better than Bersa on both quality and performance scales. Bersa 380s are surprisingly accurate and pleasant (low) recoil.

(what he said
I highly recommend a Bersa/Firestorm .380. Seems to fit the bill(other than being blowback), and they are inexpensive. Recoil is minimal at best.
Features are:
- DA/SA
- Decocker
- slim but controlable design
- utilizes many PPK accesories
- simple breakdown
Old October 19, 2009, 01:47 AM   #14
si vis pacem, para b

Go with a bersa very cost effective and great for small hands.
Old October 19, 2009, 02:48 AM   #15
Bill DeShivs

Shoot an NAA Guardian .32, and then shoot a Keltec P32.
The Guardian is quite a bit heavier, and it is thicker through the grip, and the barrel is shorter than the P32. It is also a blowback.
The Keltec is very thin through the grip, and very light.
Felt recoil is noticeably heavier with the NAA gun.
All other factors being equal (and sometimes not!) a locked breech gun has less felt recoil.
Old October 21, 2009, 08:18 PM   #16
porkskin

Man you guys are slow...the beretta 84 and 85 are your only other choice in breech style .380 weapons. The glock 25 is but I've yet to see one in the states. I have owned the beraetta 84 and speak highly of it, however recoil is no worse than a decent 9mm. My sig 232 recoils less and is a fairer weapon in my opinion. I would have to disagree against a cocked and locked pocket gun for a woman who it would seem is not a big shooter to begin with. That had ND written all over it. A .32 or .22 revolver might be more appropriate
Old October 21, 2009, 10:14 PM   #17
PSP

Quote:
Man you guys are slow...the beretta 84 and 85 are your only other choice in breech style .380 weapons.
The Berettas are blowback action, not locked breach.
Old October 21, 2009, 10:15 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

The problem with guns like the Beretta 84 and some of the other larger .380s (even the CZ-83) is that they are almost as big as some of the smaller 9mm guns. They aren't that cheap, and they aren't that small.

The only reason I carry a .380 (which I sometimes do) is that it can be smaller and more concealable. I had a P3AT in my pocket all day today, as i was driving around the state, and it just didn't draw attention to itself, nor did I notice it. If I'm going to carry something larger... I might as well go for a larger caliber, too.
Old October 21, 2009, 11:36 PM   #19
DasFriek

I love my P238,best micro gun i could imagine buying.
My 75 year old mom wants a new gun,she says my P238 is too small and wants a Mid sized frame 9mm.
But if i can get her to the range i think she would change her mind.

The P238 shoots so controlably and dare i say softley recoil wise id say most lady would love this gun,plus its cute.They love cute things!
I call it sexy myself,but they will call it cute.
Old October 22, 2009, 07:29 AM   #20
Sevens

There is on other B-I-G plus to finding a lock breech pistol over a blowback that hasn't been mentioned-- it's a helluva lot easier to rack the slide on a locked breech pistol of the same caliber as a blowback one.

For a woman or a person of smallish stature or lack of strength or muscle memory, the locked breech gun will be easier to manipulate.
Old October 22, 2009, 07:38 AM   #21
AirForceShooter

My daughter CCW's a 1911
She won't touch a .380 in any shape or form.
Hates the recoil.

AFS
Old October 22, 2009, 12:08 PM   #22
dirksterg30

Quote:
The problem with guns like the Beretta 84 and some of the other larger .380s (even the CZ-83) is that they are almost as big as some of the smaller 9mm guns. They aren't that cheap, and they aren't that small.

The only reason I carry a .380 (which I sometimes do) is that it can be smaller and more concealable. I had a P3AT in my pocket all day today, as i was driving around the state, and it just didn't draw attention to itself, nor did I notice it. If I'm going to carry something larger... I might as well go for a larger caliber, too.
Exactly. With the compact 9mms available today, I don't see the point of a .380 the size of a PPK/SIG P230, when you have the Kahr MK9/PM9, Walther PPS, etc in 9mm for roughly the same size.
Old October 22, 2009, 01:26 PM   #23
Bart Noir

As mentioned, the fit of the gun to the shooter's hand is a crucial one, especially for somebody who is recoil sensitive. For example, the P3AT is short and skinny in the grip, and it hurts.

The Walther PK380 has a very nice grip, like a P22 but scaled up a little. And since it is locked breach, it doesn't have the quite strong recoil spring that the blowback guns have. That means it is easier to manually open the slide.

I think the PK380 meets all the requirements in the first post. And the one I saw in a local shop (Ben's in Renton,WA) is only $320 before taxes.

Bart Noir
Who evaluated both trigger pulls on the PK380 as being a little heavy.
Old October 22, 2009, 01:55 PM   #24
PSP

Quote:
I don't see the point of a .380 the size of a PPK/SIG P230, when you have the Kahr MK9/PM9, Walther PPS, etc in 9mm for roughly the same size.
Logic follows that there is no reason or point to the 1911A1 then, or any other similar .45acp pistol for that matter, because the Kahr PM45 exists... ergo; we should all be carrying Kahr PM45s.
Old October 22, 2009, 02:38 PM   #25
HisSoldier

Quote:
modelled after the colt mustang and is like a mini 1911.
Externally only, internally there are many major differences.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.