The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 26, 2002, 08:01 PM   #1
TheActor

SOE Rigger's Belt

Anyone looking for a tough belt check out the SOE rigger's belt at www.lightfighter.com . I'm very pleased with it and their service as well. I'm intending it mostly for rigging work but it's a great gunbelt as well. Two thumbs up.
Old June 27, 2002, 02:10 AM   #2
blades67

I think the Wilderness "Instructor" belt is a better design and makes a better gun belt.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old June 28, 2002, 05:44 AM   #3
KPS

I agree with Blades.The Wilderness was the original and still the Best.
Old June 28, 2002, 07:20 PM   #4
corsair

I'd have to agree with TheActor, the SOE riggers belt is at the top. The Wilderness, Instructor Belt I think is in second. SOE uses probably the best scuba nylon on the market, topped by an unbelievable amount of back stitching and bartacking. It's a heavy belt, but if you need it to carry a weapon, and x-tra mags. SOE is the way to go.
Old June 29, 2002, 01:28 AM   #5
blades67

The SOE "riggers" belt is heavier I'll give you that. It also has a more cumbersome buckle and harness attachment point, but on the other hand the whole belt is weaker than the "Instructor" belt.

Nowhere on the lightfighter.com web site could I find any reference to any testing the "riggers" belt may have undergone. Testing of the "Instructor" belt can be read about here. The "Instructor" belt can also be rebuilt should it become damaged or the velcro become worn.

Show me some data that backs up your claim that the "riggers" belt is as good as you think.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old June 29, 2002, 12:33 PM   #6
Foxy

If the belt is anything like other SOE gear, it could probably suspend a tank. I have a Blackhawk rigger's belt that isn't as well made as the SOE one, and it is rated to 7000lbs. SOE's stuff is tougher.

Of course, that's a moot point if your belt loops aren't rated to 7000lbs.

As far as the buckle system - it looks exactly the same to me. Since I don't have the buckles sitting in front of me, I have to guess, but..

Wilderness buckle. The middle bar in the 'rectangle' section of the buckle probably moves back and forth. You loop the end of the belt through one side, over the movable bar, and back through the 'rectangle.'

SOE Buckle. You can see the middle bar section, which I would bet is movable. The only difference is that the 'triangle' section where you attach a carabiner or rope is seperate on the SOE belt. The metal buckle on the right side of the SOE belt is where you would clip the carabiner; it's velcro'd down so that it's out of the way.
Old June 30, 2002, 06:46 PM   #7
TheActor

Yep Foxy the attach point is seperate from the buckle. It's the same set up as the cmc rescue belt (cmcrescue.com). That's the standard for every rigger I've ever worked with. As for specs SOE uses the exact same webbing and buckles as used in military parachutes. I suggest contacting a jump school if you have to have numbers. As for load bearing all rigger's belts are designated emergency use and not considered a replacement for a harness. We use them to clip onto truss and scaffold for a temporary hold though I have seen a guy rappel with the cmc belt. The SOE is the same design but double the webbing. Makes a good gun belt too I wear mine everyday.
Old July 2, 2002, 03:32 PM   #8
corsair

Okay, back on while away couldn't respond.

"Show me some data that backs up your claim that the "riggers" belt is as good as you think."

Oh jeez, we're talking about belts here. What ever works for you. My SOE rigger's belt works cause I use it and my waist likes it. The Wilderness' model just didn't feel right, so I tried SOE's and my body approved. It held my gear comfortably, over a long period of time, while trapsing through Alaskan berry bushes, birch forests and underbrush.

I don't know if you're gonna find documented claims and expositions about it's greatness, but, judging by the responses here, I think it gets a general thumbs up. If the Wilderness' works for you than cheers and move on. No need to get into a d**k length contest about this.
Old July 6, 2002, 09:37 PM   #9
Stray1

I use an eagle industries "rigger" belt. I've had one for a couple of years. It was issued to my team for testing. Many of us in my unit had already replaced our BDU belt with a parachute strap belt. These were the first rigger's belt. The SOE, Blackhawk and Eagle belts are all very simular and will hold in excess of 7000 lbs. I have had to use mine in emergency situations and training ops and will never give it up. I do not have any data for you but I do have operational experience to back up my claims. I hope this helps.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Old September 30, 2002, 11:51 PM   #10
eggroll

theres enough chest thumpin

everyone whos had experience one company's belt over another, will echo whatever they feel is commensurate with their overall experiences.

I for one use the SOE rigger belt, and it works just fine, there is no need for me to justify whether SOE is up there with other offereings, and arguing this point by showing test values is just plan inane.

my opinion

EGG
Old October 1, 2002, 10:07 AM   #11
[email protected]
Wise Guy

I have both and the Wilderness belt did not impress me. It was stiff, granted - but so stiff that it was uncomfortable to wear. The buckle was extremely unfriendly to use as well - overall the SOE belt is IMHO better made and a better choice.

Kevin
Old October 1, 2002, 09:00 PM   #12
Lightfighter

Quote:
"everyone whos had experience one company's belt over another, will echo whatever they feel is commensurate with their overall experiences.

I for one use the SOE rigger belt, and it works just fine, there is no need for me to justify whether SOE is up there with other offereings, and arguing this point by showing test values is just plan inane."
Egg, that was a good way to put that. Nice Post.

The SOE Rigger belts are made from Type 13 1.75 inch nylon webbing (standard issue from any rigger shed) and Milspec parachute hardware (also found at any rigger's workstation). The Belts are called "Rigger Belts" because this style originated as 'home brew' designs Military Parachute Riggers would make for their buddies (and many later turned into businesses for themselves). You won't find 'load data' for this style belt but for the genuine material that it is made from.

The reason that I like the SOE belt over any stiffened belt (I have been known to use the Galco Instructor belt with stiffener from time to time for my Glock) is that it is sturdy enough to hold the weight of a holstered sidearm; but is not, for lack of a more poetic way to say it; stiff. It is pliable and soft, yet strong and rigid -- much better for use with firstline kit in my opinion because of comfort and usability. The drawback of the SOE, and the reason that I use a Galco periodically, is that the SOE is too wide to fit through some belt loops (more specifically, the Royal Robbins 5.11 pant).
Old October 2, 2002, 07:44 PM   #13
Northwest Cajun

I made my "riggers" belt from a CDS(Container Delivery System) about 10 years ago while supporting the USAF C-130 school house with air-drop training. It hasn't failed me yet.

Cajun
Old October 3, 2002, 07:36 PM   #14
eap

if you have a gut the soe belt will pinch you in two places. if it only comes in 1.75 it's worthless to most.

i had one of soe's pouches and wasn't impressed, especially for what i paid.
Old October 3, 2002, 08:39 PM   #15
Lightfighter

There are many very nice brands of tactical gear and everyone has opinions and favorites. I have yet to meet another person who has the same preferences as I.

Sometimes all of my experiance with using and selling Tactical nylon still can't persuade people to like the same things that I think are best. If SOE is not one persons favorite, there are others who will do anything for just one more piece. I happen to think SOE is the most rugged and bomb proof tactical gear that money can buy; but again, there are others and I am glad to have them too.
Old October 4, 2002, 12:16 AM   #16
Blue Jays

Willing to try both...

Good Evening All-

My current leather belts are from Andrews Custom Leather and my nylon ones come from The Wilderness. I've been very, very happy with both.

The SOE Riggers belt looks great, too. I'm in the market for a black nylon belt. My current nylon (beige/tan) is the 5-stitch version of the 1.5" Instructor belt. Typically, I wear this belt with khaki shorts or khaki pants. How would y'all compare the stiffness between this model and the SOE? Advantages and disadvantages?

Also, can anyone tell me what color the hardware is on a black SOE belt? From the pictures, it looks like stainless steel on the olive drab version...it might be cool to get this belt just for sake of variety.

Any additional input from folks who have experience with both would be greatly appreciated.

~ Blue Jays ~
Old October 5, 2002, 04:50 PM   #17
Blue Jays

Velcro backing looks helpful....

Good Afternoon All-

One more thing just jumped out at me after reviewing this thread again. The velcro backing on the SOE Rigger would likely be pretty helpful in keeping holsters, magazine pouches, and knives stationary.

Methinks you can get this extra option on The Wilderness Instructor, but I'm not 100% certain. As always, additional insights or opinion on these two models is appreciated. I'd like to purchase another nylon belt in black to accompany my tan one....us gunfolks gotta' stay color-coordinated, too!

~ Blue Jays ~
Old October 6, 2002, 01:37 AM   #18
TheActor

Mine is the black belt and it appears to be raw steel on the hardware. Mine is currently rusting I do wear it everday for concert rigging etc. I'll have to figure out some way to protect it or look for something with protected steel. I fear for the effects on the webbing since I do hang off this thing at times. I'd hate to give up on it as I like the design best of all. The link is "captured" rather than simply sewn in. If you're looking for the same style but not as stiff look at cmc rescue's belt. http://www.cmcrescue.com/cmcrescue/d...6WGN26D7RPET7B I know a lot of rigger's use this one and they seem to hold up very well. We abuse them quite a bit.
Old October 15, 2002, 11:32 PM   #19
Blue Jays

Good Evening Everyone-

Thanks for the feedback, TheActor. Moderate stiffness in a belt seems more comfortable to me....so my decision is really between the SOE and 5-stitch Instructor for a black nylon belt. I already have the 1.50" width, so we're talking about an apples-to-apples comparison for the 1.75" models.

Does anyone know of a retailer that stocks both of these manufacturers? That way, I could order both belts and keep the "winner" of the showdown. It seems such a waste to pay for shipping to two separate vendors when you know you'll be sending one back.

Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks, everyone.

~ Blue Jays ~
Old October 17, 2002, 09:49 PM   #20
tommygun45

no 1.5" buckles

I've been wearing an inch and a half riggers belt made by Tactical Tailor everyday for two years. It is without a doubt my favorite belt, primarily because of its 1.5 inch width. I've been searching for a new one in a smaller length (damn diet finally kicked in). Apparently Tactical Tailor dosent make the 1.5 any more, SOE doesent make one at all and Wilderness is having problems with their buckle supplier and are backed up for at least a month and mabey more. I have a 1.75" Wilderness but it dosent work with my 1.5" Ky-Tac gear. I prefer to save my RafterS sharkskin belt for dress occations. So the question is who has a 5 stitch 1.5" riggers belt in stock? I've tried Dillon, SKDTAC.com, and a few other places without much luck.