The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 16, 2014, 05:45 PM   #26
bedbugbilly

I had a friend that had one and it drove him nuts. We took it to the range and he handed it to me to see if I could get it to work and it drove me nuts. I had a number of different rounds to try in it - same problem with all of the ammo that you are discussing. He asked me what he should do . . . I was honest. "Get rid of it and get something that works.".

Sig was no help to him and he called them a number of times. He finally got rid of it and ended up getting a Ruger SR22. He is much happier now!

It's no fun when you have a gun of any description or make that gives problems. I once had a High Standard Sport King that I inherited from my Dad. He never shot it. I never could get it to feed correctly in spite of three different reputable gunsmiths looking at it. It had no sentimental value to me (I have several rifles that were my Dad's that do have sentimental value). I ended up selling it and buying a Ruger MKIII Target. Even though 22 ammo is hard to come by, at least I know I have a handgun that will work and is fun to shoot. I still enjoy my 38s more but if the availability / price of 22 ammo ever gets better - I will start shooting the MK IIII again.

I know it's easy enough to say when it isn't yours - but I'd get rid of it and get something that you know will work. A SR22, a MKIII, a Browning Buckmark - there are better ones out there that Sig's "insect gun" that "bugs" you.

Good luck - hope it all works out for you.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 16, 2014, 10:16 PM   #27
Fishbed77

Quote:
Of course good ammo is important, as with any semi .22LR.
Funny. My Mark III will digest and cycle any ammo I run through it.
Old July 17, 2014, 12:15 AM   #28
Sweet Shooter

Quote:
Fishbed77
Funny. My Mark III will digest and cycle any ammo I run through it.
As will our Mosquito. If you want to shoot wobbly, crap, golden-colored ammo that shoots shotgun patterns, go right ahead, be my guest.
-SS-
Old July 17, 2014, 08:11 AM   #29
gyvel

Quote:
As will our Mosquito. If you want to shoot wobbly, crap, golden-colored ammo that shoots shotgun patterns, go right ahead, be my guest.
-SS
If that's the case, then you are one of the fortunate ones.
Old July 17, 2014, 08:58 AM   #30
pilpens

If I were in your shoes, I would just sell the Mosquito and get another .22. There are many others with good reputation -- Ruger (MKxxx, SR22, 22/45) and Browning Buckmarks.
Old July 17, 2014, 11:26 AM   #31
7Cedars

Well, the comments made here have made me smile a bit. I guess its a good thing I can still laugh about it. I have contacted Sig and are awaiting a response. I really appreciate everybody's thoughtful advice and if after Sig can't fix it, you'll find it for sale. I won't bother to ask if anybody is interested, lol
Old July 17, 2014, 05:14 PM   #32
AK103K

Quote:
If that's the case, then you are one of the fortunate ones.
Having answered a number of these threads since they showed up, and hearing some of the comments, I have to wonder sometimes if people actually read and follow the "suggested" directions the manufacturers usually provide before the shoot the gun.

I noticed before, quite a few people were using improper ammo, or improper ammo for a given spring, didnt follow suggested break in, etc., and then got mad when the gun wouldnt function properly.

I understand you probably think the gun should work with anything, but you just have to face it, there are some guns out there, that have specific handling and ammo requirements, and it would probably be a pretty good idea to follow the makers suggestions if you want a pleasant experience.

I also have an early Walther P22, that like my Mosquito, has been pretty much a flawless shooter since I got it. It too has quite the internet record of being a troublesome gun, but like the Mosquito, has some things suggested by the maker, to help your experience be a positive one. If you choose to ignore that, whos fault is that?

All I know with mine is, I (initially) followed the suggested break in of using hot ammo, and didnt really have any problems with either gun in doing so. Switching later to cheaper, more standard .22's to see if they would work, proved out that they would, and thats what I stuck with. Was I lucky in the draw? Maybe, maybe not, who knows. I do know the guns work, and are fun to shoot.
Old July 17, 2014, 05:47 PM   #33
7Cedars

Well I would agree with you, but what happens when all manufacturer instructions were followed? I suppose it would be hard for a reader to actually know what was done from what was written in a forum. REALLY hard to say what wasn't done....just sayin. Sig says that there are not two different spring rates. And according to Sig, directly from their website the following recommendations should be followed:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/Faq.aspx

Are there two different recoil springs for my Mosquito?
No, There is only one recoil spring offered for the Mosquito Pistol. Initial production of the pistol noted two different spring weights. Mosquito's are shipped with spare recoil spring as a replacement and is the same as the recoil spring installed in the pistol.

Please try these basic trouble shooting tips before requesting service: *Please make sure the recoil spring is installed correctly. The narrow end of the spring MUST be on the guide rod first...pointing towards the rear of the gun. If it is not, this will cause feeding, extraction and firing issues. *Like many .22 LR’s, Mosquito’s can be sensitive to ammunition used and to cleanliness and lubrication. Be sure your Mosquito is cleaned and lubricated regularly and before the first use. *There is a lubrication port on the right side of the slide for the extractor, be sure you add a drop of lube in this hole every hundred rounds or so. Make sure the gun is very clean. *Some Mosquito's benefit from a break-in period. *Be sure to use factory recommend ammunition - CCI Mini-Mags. Winchester Super-X, Remington Golden Bullet, Federal High Velocity etc...also usually work well.
Old July 20, 2014, 03:02 AM   #34
gyvel

Whether you follow manufacturer's instructions or not is irrelevant; If I (personally) see a number of a particular gun having the same problem, then it tells me to stay away from that particular gun.

There are many other similar guns that are proven generally reliable, and it only makes common sense to have one of those than something that may or may not work, and all the more so when "manufacturer's instructions" dictate the use of certain ammunition, or a particular type of lubrication or "break in" periods or what-have-you.

In the case of the Mosquito, what makes it even less attractive is the cost-cutting measure of making the gun out of Zamak.

"Mosquito" was probably an accurate moniker as a mosquito will irritate the heck out of you and, in the end, bite you.
Old July 20, 2014, 06:27 AM   #35
AK103K

Quote:
Whether you follow manufacturer's instructions or not is irrelevant; If I (personally) see a number of a particular gun having the same problem, then it tells me to stay away from that particular gun.
Whats to say you didnt personally see a number of people who didnt follow the suggested break in, ammo, spring, or any of the above, and were having issues due to it?

Lets face it, how many who own them, actually read the manuals before they took them out and shot them?

As much as we hate it, the makers usually suggest certain things for a reason, even if it is a cost cutting thing on their part, like "break in". Sorta like those 1911 (and a few other makes) that tell you you need to shoot a couple of hundred rounds to break the guns in on your dime. Ive had a couple of them, and they cost considerably more than my Mosquito, and they never worked right, even after following the instructions.

I guess Ive been lucky with my SIG and Walther. Ive had them a little over 10 years now, and they have worked as well as any of the other .22's Ive had (and Ive had at least one of most of the big makers), and in some cases, better. Right now, they are the only .22 pistols I have, and I usually shoot a brick or two out of them each year.

Ive heard the pot metal complaints ever since I got them, and havent found that to be an issue.

The only one I saw that did have an issue, was a Mosquito that had a suppressor improperly mounted early on and the slide was impacting the rear of the can (a no-no), causing it to crack. The barrel was improperly threaded by the owner (pre factory threaded barrel), and allowed the can to snug up to the slide.

Then again, I have a pic around here somewhere, of a SS Springfield 1911 where that slide cracked and separated in the same place, and it didnt have a suppressor mounted.

Would it be better if they were aluminium or carbon steel? Whos to say? I guess well never know at this point.
Old July 20, 2014, 06:54 AM   #36
spanky509

jam-o-matic

I too had one years ago. The only gun I traded in.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:04 AM   #37
Darker Loaf

I too was an unhappy owner of a Sig Mosquito. I tried both springs. Of course the gun was clean. And I used CCI and hot rounds (round-nose, no less, not hollow points) to no success. I called Sig and got no help from customer service: they blamed the very ammo (CCI Minimags) that they suggested using.

I agree. Sell it.

Buy a Ruger or a Buckmark. I own a Ruger now and wish I had never traded up to a Sig Mosquito from my trusty Buckmark. Sadly, I thought my Mosquito would be more reliable.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:52 AM   #38
boltomatic

I would call sig and have them take a look. .22 pistols are notoriously finicky but usually not that bad and they sig is one of the better ones.

If you are interested in a new .22 pistol similar to the mosquito (in looks), I just got a ruger sr22 and after the first ~500 or so rounds (federal bulk and mini-mags) I have not experienced a single jam, plus the fixed barrel is great for suppressors.

Winchester NRA branded wildcat ammo on the other hand would FTF every few shots. With .22's ammo is really the most important factor, and federal bulk 525 and all of CCI's stuff has never let me down.
Old July 20, 2014, 02:00 PM   #39
DannyB1954

I have a Walther P22. Wanna trade junk for junk?
Because of the lower power I guess it is tough for the manufacturers to get it right.
Old July 26, 2014, 09:51 PM   #40
Spooler41

I'm going to start this reply on a high note, I love my "MOSQUITO". I've owned
it about 18 mo. and no problems with it. I've feed it a steady diet of CCI HV
ammo , mostly Mini Mags and Stingers. I clean and lube the gun after every outing. I have fired it about 2200 times and only recently tried other brands
of ammo. Remington golden .22lr HP have worked well. I will say, I've never tried any standard velocity ammo in it.
So far it's not lived up to much of it's poor reputation. I've read 100 of pages of disparaging reports and a few reports of good performance.
It seems I got a good one,and thats all good for me.

........................Jack
Old July 26, 2014, 11:12 PM   #41
S&W-Keeper

I have the Sig Trailside,I sent it back to the factory 2 times, before they dropped it.I don't shoot it any more. I just look at it now and then.I had the trigger guard break off once, and the back sight once.I could never keep the plastic piece from slipping off the front after about 25 rounds. I ordered the metal piece, but it did not make any difference.I also have 2,220's,2, 229's,1 230,and 1 226, no issues.
Old July 27, 2014, 04:02 AM   #42
gyvel

I just purchased a Browning 1911-22, and, in spite of my dislike of aluminum, it has so far proven to be a real hoot. It hasn't malfunctioned yet, and has eaten any garbage .22 I have put through it, including some old CIL and Hawthorne.
Old July 27, 2014, 05:54 AM   #43
rightside

In this class of pistols I'm going to have to say , my Ruger SR22 with the aluminum slide has proven to be an excellent little weapon.
Old August 24, 2014, 07:18 PM   #44
cryogenic419

I had nothing but problems when I first got mine, so much so that I put it away for 3 years. Dug it out a few weekends ago, didn't even bother to add any lube just figured it would jam up like always. I had the weaker recoil spring installed and managed to get off about 150 rounds of Velocitor, some Aguila hyper velocity, and the kicker....Remington Thunderbolts. Thunderbolts were the most accurate in the gun and didn't jam up until the very end. I think the lack of lube was what stopped the gun, I'd fire and the slide would stay back, not locked into position. Just had to tap it forward and it would chamber the next round just fine and fire. Decided to give it good cleaning and lube it with Mobil 1 grease on the slide,, guide rod, rails, part of the hammer the slide runs across and barrel. I've been using this KG moly dry lube on some of my other guns in areas where triggers and anything to do with the firing system, you brush it on and it dries. Got that in as many places as I possibly could on the Mosquito. I'm not going to say the trigger went from crap to some match grade trigger, but there was definitely a improved feel. Still a crap trigger pull though. Took it to the range today and out of 500 rounds there was 1 issue, a round didn't ignite. Put the round back in the mag in a different position for the firing pin and the round fired. Not one jam, hiccup, FTF, FTE, nothing other than the 1 round that didn't fire first time around (I'll blame the ammo on that one). all with Thunderbolts. I don't know if the gun just needed an extra long break in period, or if running it without lube fixed the issue or what. Just know that it works finally.
Old August 27, 2014, 06:13 PM   #45
Spooler41

Cryogenic, sounds like you are getting enough rounds through that
Mosquito to have it broken in soon.It's good to hear some one else
is getting the little Sig to work well.
I hope it works out for you and that you have a lot of fun with it.

....................Jack
Old August 27, 2014, 07:59 PM   #46
Joe_Pike

Put a can on it. I've talked to a guy that has a Mosquito and never had any luck with it at all. He stuck a suppressor on it and he claims it will now eat anything.
Old August 28, 2014, 04:17 AM   #47
cryogenic419

It had over 1000 rounds through it prior to me breaking it out of storage. I'd think that would be enough to break it in. Who knows, maybe whatever lube I was using was doing too good of a job to keep the break in from happening in a timely fashion.