The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old October 15, 2005, 09:48 AM   #51
siotwo

Hi guys....just read the thread...WOW.

I'd say you have to use the.45, ya know, in the spirit of the thread.

Somebody challange me to hunting with my 7mag
Old October 15, 2005, 09:56 AM   #52
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Plans are set!

Hunting camp has been cleared for the weekend of the 21st thru 23rd. My hunting pard, Ashley "HawgBoy" Emerson, will be up there early doing some scouting.

I have long wanted to see someone put a feral hog down with a defensive caliber handgun under field conditions. At last we have a man with the talent and experience to do so.

Harley-
Don't let us down on this. Schedules have been rearranged on your commitment. At $4.90 per gallon of avgas, I'm in for >$2K in fuel expenditures alone.

We WILL have a blast.
Rich
Old October 15, 2005, 10:51 AM   #53
Harley Quinn

Hi all not to worry, I sent you a return e-mail earlier

I was not sure if this would happen but it appears to be a real deal.
Rich, I will give it my best shot and all that. LOL

Keep the post's up regarding the shooter and caliber, I am into the spirit of things myself so....

Harley
Old October 15, 2005, 02:31 PM   #54
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Gotta love a boondoggle, so long as hunting is involved!

Looks like I picked myself a World Class Ringer. Just checked out Harley's bio and he's certainly got all the real world skills. My kinda hunting pard. Hunting party is coming together with some little excitement....like little boys about to engage in a food fight!

Look forward to pics and reports right here. We'll look forward to a great time with some newfound comradrie.
Rich
Old October 15, 2005, 05:08 PM   #55
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

We're on!

Rich, I accept the role of witness/six-watcher/photographer/whatever, and thanks for the opportunity!

If Art can work his schedule around to return from GA in time for the hunt, I'll happily defer to him. - - He's gone outta his way to show me a good time in the past.

Lemme see if I understand the situation - -
the arrangement/challenge has to do with a test of hunting/stalking/handgunning skills, as demonstrated by taking a wild hawg with a defensive-caliber handgun, .45 ACP or less. I respectfully suggest you bring something larger than a 9mm, but, suit yourself.

I hasten to insert: I am NOT part of the challenge. I will bring along a substantial rifle for security purposes, but only to back up Harley. Unless, of course, he's "filled his license" and I get an opportunity . . . . And, no, I don't go outdoors without a handgun of some kind, preferably one the bore size of which begins with the numeral "4."

I'm still trying to get my remote e-mail hookup to function, but no joy so far. It will happen in due course.

Harley, please check your PMs - - I'll send contact information.

Best to all,
Johnny
Old October 15, 2005, 06:12 PM   #56
Harley Quinn

Hi Johnny...I got the PM and replied.

I am looking forward to this. I will keep an eye on the Post's hope it picks up a little. Boondoggle, yea I can understand your thinking. Cobray kinda summed it up when he referred to (ladies) LOL...

I think more would feel it is a pis***g contest and all that. Not really though.
I get to the range of 25 +or- it is going to be a-go.

I just need to hold to the game plan and not shoot to quick. Keep telling myself I have 3 days, I have 3 tries. It would be nice in the 1st hour but that does not happen with out some good scouting, but hey we will definitely find out.

I am not familiar with the area and the lay of the land any good hunting store's in Paducah? I will be looking for some good cologne "as in boar bait". That way they will look for me, instead of the other way around. Anything starting to bloom? (scent)

Heck I got back up, no problem.. LOL

Harley
Old October 15, 2005, 09:06 PM   #57
Harley Quinn

Anyone got some information they want to share

I am trying to get some activity on this so I am asking again.
What and why as to the caliber and bullet. I have it pretty much figured but since the thread was about 45 cal. Any thoughts? I figure I am fine with both/either. I just like the groups out of my 17L 9mm better.

Harley
Old October 15, 2005, 09:08 PM   #58
CobrayCommando

I would definately take the Glock 9mm and use that to get your first one (if I remember correctly there is no bag limit), that will build up your confidence and take off a lot of the pressure, then use the .45 and see how that goes.

Hopefully this will add enough fuel to the caliber wars to keep them interesting LOL Although if you are going for surgical CNS shots calibers probably don't mean too much.

Its cool that Rich is so generous to offer up the challenge and use his own money for it!

And whatever you do,

Use the Force young Jedi...

Old October 15, 2005, 09:52 PM   #59
Harley Quinn

Thanks Cobray

I believe that is good information and it does follow my own thought pattern...

Yes I believe It is a nice situation. I am glad I made the decision to do it, appears not many others are inclined.

It just so happens I can take advantage of this great offer. Anyone want to post odds on this

Harley
Old October 15, 2005, 10:17 PM   #60
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

ROFLMAO!!
5 to 1 on the hog, Harley! (Just kidding )

Seriously, a college roomie hunted boar in TN with a .44 mag. Approx. 20 yds. and a good solid hit right behind the shoulder. Boar returned fire with .50 cal. tusks . Split him from mid-thigh to mid calf, needed over 200 stitches, and months to get over the infection . Good luck, good hunting, and y'all be careful, hear?

No matter who wins, there's going to be some interesting reading on TFL around the 25th, & I wouldn't miss it for the world .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 16, 2005, 01:06 AM   #61
Harley Quinn

You mean these domestic hogs have tusks

Well, that is what I call a surprise. I thought they only had that kind down in Arkansas. Are you sure about that? Tusks huh, how big do they grow? The tusk's I mean. Are they relative to the size of the boar? So I should skirt the big ones and only pick on the little one's? Do they hang out together or are they solo type animals?

Thanks Capt I needed that. Now we know why I will be having a back up to take care of this naive California Son.
I am planning on wearing some snake guards hopefully they will help if they get to close.

The magazine is a high capacity, Glock 17L 9mm, all the more reason to carry it. At 20 yds I hope to be putting it in his ear.
Thanks for the advice.

Harley
Old October 16, 2005, 12:08 PM   #62
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry I can't answer your questions Harley. I've never hunted boar myself, which is why I haven't chimed in before this. No knowledge to contribute. If memory serves though (this happened around '75), he was hunting European Wild Boar that have escaped and were getting established in TN and NC then. I could be WAY off base here, if so, someone please enlighten me. The only thing I remember for sure was that horrendous wound. Sort of left a lasting impression, ya know .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 16, 2005, 03:17 PM   #63
Joven

Harley, I am glad you picked up the gauntlet. My opinion is .45. Whatever you shoot best. Good Luck. Can't wait for the results.
Old October 16, 2005, 03:54 PM   #64
sm

I'm in AR.
Tusks, yeah some do for sure. Our barefoot & pregnant wimmin' just use a broom when they into the wash on the line. Toss a bucket at 'em and hams, sausages and chops for supper.

Reading this thread with much interest. Always wanted to try this Hawg hunting, never have.

Folks tell me they use 250 - 255 hard cast .45 ACP ammo running 1000 + fps. The biggest trick is the stalk, tree climbing skills, and letting the back up fella with 45-70 do his thing if need. Oh...good tennis shoes seem to be popular...

Like I said some day I hope to try this type of hunting. Yeah most likely be toting a 1911, or something starting with a "4".

Kinda partial to 12 bore and slugs anyway...seems like a good starting pc of lead for me if and when I do get to go...

Good Luck and have fun!

Rich, this is such a great deal - Thank You Sir!

Use Enough Broom

Steve
Old October 16, 2005, 06:51 PM   #65
Long Path

Quote:
The magazine is a high capacity, Glock 17L 9mm, all the more reason to carry it.
Speaking as someone who admittedly blew a stalk on some hogs that Rich and Ashley put me on while trying to get close enough to employ my Blackhawk .44 (on the far end of the herd, and spooked the near end), I would like to express my hope that your intent is not to use the "fill the air with lead" method. I doubt that you meant it that way, but only mean that quick followups are nice if the beast should charge. For, while I don't personally believe that nine milimeters are appropriate hog medicine, I know that any hog might succumb to a hail of gunfire from a high-cap magazine, just as African poachers take down rhino and elephant with AK's.

I agree with Art Eatman that there are hogs, and then again, there are Hogs. And while a 200+ lb hog may be a little bit too much mustard for a .45 acp to handle, a nice tender shoat of 50 to 80 lbs may be just the thing for it. But, as Rich and I have noted over discussions past, the problem sometimes is identifying size. I once pulled a stunt with an underbore caliber on a good-sized hog, because I thought that it was a much smaller beast than what I managed to kill. I thought that I was tagging a smallish 100lb swine, but when my buddy and I dragged it back, we found that I had popped a 200 lb one. While the "behind the ear" trick worked on her, I wouldn't have necessarily bet on it if I had realized her size; I simply misjudged. As good as we may think that we are in judging distances, it's easy to be off. And when you (as I) think that you're making a 50 yard shot offhand at a hog that happens to be over 80 yards away, you're bound to blow the size estimation.
Best plan is to carry a gun that will handle the larger hogs as well as the smaller ones you may be hunting. (Though I'm looking for the biggest ones I can find-- I haven't found any problem with the meat from the larger ones.)

The question is: if you carry a minor or intermediate pistol caliber, are you self-disciplined enough to pass up shots on monster beasts (even when you're out of their danger zone), and are you sure of your ability to judge which swine are of the appropriate size/weight/toughness for your questionable caliber?
Old October 16, 2005, 07:17 PM   #66
Harley Quinn

Yes sir good adice Long Path.

As stated in another post on the same subject not to rush, get the best shot and go for it. This is where my bow hunting skill will help.

Extra bullets if he comes at me. If he takes off on a dead run in a northerly direction well if I feel I got a good shot into him, noise and puff of dust near area I aimed at, I sit back and give him a few minutes and then the big stalk is on. Blood trail and all that. Binocs help.
That is why I will have my short barreled 12 gauge with slugs,00, and #4s. I am ready gentlemen.

Or Johnny pulls out his smoke poll and dispatches this insulent piggy. Then we go again.

That is the difference with not enough gun and too much. Shot placement is the key.

Thanks for the heads up I appreciate it.
I will have a pitch fork (no Broom) if he gets to close, three gun bearers and my camera man will throw themselve's in front for distraction and I can shoot again <(*-)

We are in this together right???

Harley
Old October 16, 2005, 09:01 PM   #67
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, regrets for being stuck in Jawgia until the weekend of this great and glorious hunt! I'll have to go out the next week and do something about the excess number of quail running around my pasture. Console myself.

Art
Old October 17, 2005, 06:40 AM   #68
Rich Lucibella
Staff

OK, we've moved past Challenge Acceptance to the Challenge itself.

Suggestions, comments, planning tips, caliber and ammo suggestions can be made Right Here
Rich
Closed Thread