The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 9, 2015, 09:03 AM   #1
baddarryl

How many rounds to trust a new carry gun?

Hi all. I am going to switch my G19 out for a CZ P07 and am wondering this question. I need to sell the Glock to finance this, but will not part with it until I am sure.
Old April 9, 2015, 09:36 AM   #2
g.willikers

There's no guarantee, of course, when or if a shootin' iron will fail to deliver.
From my own experience, the ones that proved themselves a poor choice did so within the first 500 rounds or so.
There's a big difference between a gun of poor quality and flaws and one that just needs maintenance to run perfectly.
To add to the confusion, some are just picky about ammo.
Nothing wrong with them after discovering what they digest and what they don't.
Old April 9, 2015, 10:00 AM   #3
rickyrick

I say at least 200 but probably more...

I've shot lots of new pistols that hang up in some way first on the first couple of magazines. It should be of no alarm if the first 200 have a hiccup... After that, if it don't run smooth, sell it or send it back for warranty or whatever...

Stoppages can happen at any time, but they should be minimal.
Make sure it runs on whatever hollow point or defensive ammo that you will carry. Some ammo feeds better than others
Old April 9, 2015, 03:45 PM   #4
10-96

On another approach...

When our agency transferred from Beretta to Sig- it wasn't so much a question (by the agency) of trustworthiness of the pistols as it was familiarity. I can see that- kind of a big difference between the two.

What they determined was a safe way to go was to implement a 200 draw (familiarity with new holster), a 250rnd familiarization shoot, and a 50rnd qualification.

I don't think it would be fair to say that the $$ you paid or the reputation of the pistol (loosely grouping the terms) deserves a blanket statement of "You bought a handgun- you MUST have X number of rounds through it to determine if it passes muster." You bought a CZ P07, not a Kel-Tec P11, Leinad, Jennings, etc- That said, I kinda suspect that 50 rounds ought to tell you if the pistol will work or not. And another 150 should determine if you can work well with the pistol.

I applaud the guys who have the time, $, and resources to say they never trust a weapon until they have 500-1000 (or whatever magical number)rounds down range. Truth is- you bought a pistol with a good track record, and may be hindered by having to jump straight from the Glock to the CZ without having another (or whole drawer full) of backup weapons that have a magical number of surety rounds fired through them.

In my opinion? Clean the CZ, lube as normal, squirt a box of 50 through it. If there are no major hiccups, then give yourself some time for practice draws and dry fires.

Enjoy your new CZ!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 10, 2015, 04:05 PM   #5
baddarryl

Quote:
You bought a CZ P07, not a Kel-Tec
Funny you say that. My last Kel Tec (P3at) experience is what has me suspicious!
Old April 10, 2015, 09:00 PM   #6
KyJim

I think some of it depends upon design. A modern service weapon like a Glock or SW M&P takes less rounds through it to insure reliability, IMO, than any 1911. And I often carry a 1911 and love them.

For reliability, 100 trouble free rounds or so through a modern designed full sized pistol with a good reputation. About 200-250 trouble free FMJ rounds and 50 trouble free rounds of the specific hollow points to be used from a 1911.
Old April 10, 2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Dashunde

On that CZ I'd say 150... start with 100 of the cheap fmj and if its 100% move to the expensive stuff.
Old April 11, 2015, 08:31 PM   #8
X_shooter

I honestly expect a gun to go bang every time I pull the trigger from the first shot to the next. Now my comfort level goes up after I pass milestones like 250, 500, and so on. I usually start carrying after 250. The only time I had issues was with ammo so every time that happens comfort level drops back down.

I practice drawing and dry firing so muscle memory is less of an issue so I can focus on mechanical failures.
Old April 11, 2015, 09:09 PM   #9
JERRYS.

general rule of thumb for a semi-auto is 200 trouble free rounds in a row.
Old April 12, 2015, 09:44 AM   #10
1-DAB

so i know what the recoil is like. none of the pistols i've bought recently call for any 'break in' period. clean off the grease and they are good to go.
Old April 12, 2015, 10:26 AM   #11
Onward Allusion

I'm old school. Unless it is a revolver, 300 to 500 rounds for any semi auto to be used for self-defense. It's not just about reliability but also getting used to the fit and function in my hands.

BTW ^^^^^ "1", I seriously hope that was tongue-in-cheek or it was being said about a range toy.
Old April 14, 2015, 08:51 AM   #12
vito

I would think about 100 rounds are adequate to determine if the gun was manufactured properly and is in expected firing condition, but reality is that semi-autos are not as inherently reliable as a quality revolver. I have an old Ruger P97 that never, ever had a problem for many years and then had a FTF at the range (using the same ammo I have fired for years). I have NEVER had a single failure of any kind with any of the five S&W revolvers that I own, even when I have fired one after letting it sit untouched and unlubricated for a few years. That said, my most commonly carried handgun is a Ruger LC9s that has been flawless so far, and I started carrying it after firing about 150 rounds at the range and found it is a gun that I can fire well and enjoy shooting (has an excellent stock trigger, in my opinion).
Old April 15, 2015, 12:08 PM   #13
jasmith85

50 rounds is plenty for me to trust a gun. I also primarily carry while hiking and hike in areas with very few predators though. As a current student and future teacher, I rarely make a trip that will not involve going somewhere that carry is illegal.
Old April 15, 2015, 12:30 PM   #14
Skans

Old April 15, 2015, 01:34 PM   #15
TxWheels

I don't own any revolvers, so I haven't any opinion there.

On all my semi autos I'll normally shoot 150 rounds of ball ammo through them. Then I'll load 4 magazines with ammo of varying brand and bullet configurations and shoot them. If the pistol will shoot through those 4 magazines without a FTF or FTE I consider it safe to carry.

I've never had one I've done that way fail me.
Old April 23, 2015, 10:41 AM   #16
jpalmer2

I have had a CZ P-07 for several years now. Absolutly love it! Natural fit, no abusive kick and it goes bang evey time no matter what ammo i put in it. Can't say that for the first 100 rounds thru my 1911r1s. By the way, great trigger. That Omni trigger is great out of the box. You may have trouble finding mags for it. Only factory ones out there.
Old April 24, 2015, 03:51 PM   #17
Magnum-

I run 4 clip fills.... none stop , once a month @ 15 yds...... If no" FTF's in those 4 clips.... I'm good ..... Other Wise Any" FTF's , through Any of the 4.... That clip Must go , and replaced ! .... 4 clips should get you through most gun battles .
Old April 24, 2015, 04:57 PM   #18
Sparks1957

Quote:
4 clips should get you through most gun battles
What happens when 4 clips just isn't enough?