The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Alpha Centauri

Sellier & Bellot: Very Nice 7.62x39 Reloading Brass

I'm one of those nutty folks that reloads 7.62x39 mm brass. Why?, you ask, given that you can get a case for about 300 bucks?

Well, I enjoy reloading for one. Sometimes the money isn't everything. Plus with an OAL gauge, some 1680, and a little TLC I have been able to produce some rounds well matched to my AKM.

Besides, I don't trust General Secretary Obama to "allow us" the continuation of a supply of 7.62 rounds in the future.

Afterall, nothing in the "Bill of Privileges" says that we can own an assault rifle.

OK, political diatribe aside, let me tell you this.

Besides the obvious (Lapua), the best reloading brass I have found for 7.62x39mm, extracted from once-fired rounds is Sellier & Bellot FMJ/No 2907.

It reforms nicely.
My AK brutalizes cases. The S&B takes a beating. It's tough, yet still easily reformable.

I pay about 14.00 a box for live rounds. That's 70 cents a round. But I've been able to reload it 3 times already. Not bad for a semi-auto!

It brings my average cost down to slightly below the price of Wolf.

Without being as filthy as Wolf or Silver Bear.

The worst 7.62x39mm casing in my opinion?

Winchester. Just not worth it. Tough to reform, can't reload more than once (or at least I won't), and you'll bust your knuckles trying to push it through a die.

Thought I'd share that for you crazy fellow 7.62 reloaders.
Old September 6, 2009, 02:01 PM   #2
kargo27

I'm glad that you posted.

I was going to reload 7.62x39 for my AK's, but after pricing just powder and bullets I was already at the cost of Combloc ammo. Didn't even count primers or brass yet.

Anyway, nobody can fault you for reloading your own because it's a hobby that YOU like to do! I think it's great!
Old September 6, 2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Alpha Centauri

Well thanks for the kind words.

But, should you ever decide to reload 7.62x39, or feel the need to, I'm just sharing with ya' all that the S&B seems to be a fine piece of brass (oops, hope that didn't come off wrong, ) to use for reloading. (Lapua kick you know what, IMHO it's the BEST 7.62x39 brass out there).

Personally, I think the Winchester brass is junk. But that's my 2 cents.