The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 10, 2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Motobie

Weak AR15 Trigger Spring for 7.62X39 Rounds

Hi folks. I have an AR15 that is chambered for the 7.62X39 cartridge. When I use Wolf or any Russian steel cartridges, I would have at least one failure to fire out of a box of 20. Sometimes I would have three misfires out of a box. The indentation on the primer looks normal and deep enough. There are no misfires when I use American made brass cartridges. Stuff I buy from Remington and Winchester has been 100% reliable.

I have heard somewhere that a stronger spring would help solve this problem. Where can I get such springs? Do I need to do something else to make my AR more reliable with Russian ammos? Thanks for any help.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Scorch

I seriously doubt it's the hammer spring (you called it a trigger spring, but the trigger spring doesn't affect how hard the hammer hits the firing pin). My guess would be either the dimensions of the cartridge casing is very liberal to prevent problems chambering in dirty chambers, or the firing pin protrusion is very short on your rifle. Maybe both.
Old November 11, 2008, 04:12 AM   #3
sadsack

I have the same problem with my AR. I used clymer head space guages when I chambered it, and it works fine with commercial brass loads. Is there a safe way to lenthen the firing pin protrusion? Or is there another solution?
Old November 11, 2008, 12:06 PM   #4
SRG

Go over to AR15.com or M4Carbine.net and do a search or ask the question. It seems to me that I recall folks having to get longer firing pins if they were going to be shooting the Wolf stuff.
Old November 11, 2008, 05:12 PM   #5
Motobie

Scorch, you're right. It's the hammer spring. I remember someone wrote about this issue saying that a stronger spring would help. I'm looking for a stronger spring but don't know who would sell that. A hammer spring replacement is a cheap and safe solution that's worth a try.

Sadsack, messing around with the pin is riskier and may have terrible consequences so, it's better to try a replacement spring first. So that's what I'm looking for.
Old November 29, 2008, 02:50 AM   #6
sadsack

New spring fixed it. When I added adjustment tabs to the trigger and hammer, I bent the hammer spring to help lighten the trigger pull. I had forgotten about doing that. I had always shot reloaded or commercial ammo and had no problems, so I never even thought about the spring.

Thanks for your help.