The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 8, 2006, 04:24 PM   #1
shaggy

Lakeside LM-7 shipping!!! (.22 beltfed AR15/M16 uppers)

Received a call from my dealer (and confirmed with Lakeside) that the Lakeside Machine LM-7 is now shipping; mine will ship out today or tomorrow. I ordered some spare belts, a 7.5" barrel, and a loader this afternoon. I'll have pics and (if someone can host it) video of a full-auto LM-7 in action in about 2 weeks.

Probably be the best new toy of the year. Anyone else got one on order?

www.lakesideguns.com
Old June 9, 2006, 01:30 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Glad to see you didn't fall into the Abyss.....(or at least made it back )

I can host the vid for you if you like. Fire me off a PM and we can talk.
Old June 9, 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
shaggy

Thanks!

I won't be able to get my hands on my LM7 until next weekend, but I'm planning on giving a good workout when I do with plenty of pics and video. With the cost of ammo lately I think this thing is going to quickly become a favorite. I also have a stainless CAC-22 suppressor I'm going to be putting a F4 in on so maybe by the end of the summer, I'll have a nice short barreled and suppressed beltfed that I can actually afford to shoot as much as I want.

It comes with one or two 200rd belt boxes, but I'm not sure I like the design - they look a little big and awkward. Otherwise, from the pics on Lakeside's website, the LM7 looks like a real winner. I hope it shoots just as well as it looks.
Old June 20, 2006, 09:28 AM   #4
shaggy

A few pics...

Old June 20, 2006, 11:26 AM   #5
oderus1671

Oh My God! That has got to be the most beautiful thing in the world! I think I'm in love!
Old June 20, 2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Asmodeous

Nice floor. or is it a countertop?

The upper, however, really needs a handguard. I'm on the minimal deposit list, so I should see mine about the same time you get bored with yours
Old June 20, 2006, 01:45 PM   #7
shaggy

Granite countertops.

I would have liked a handguard on it also, and it does come with a set of CAR length handguards and delta ring for the standard 16" barrel (included), but with the extra 7.25" bbl, you're on your own. I may get an aluminum tube and have it cut down so I don't burn myself on the barrel. The grip should do fine for the short term, however, and even with both left and right belt boxes attached, it really isn't as clumsy and unweildy as I would have thought.

Overall, I'm impressed with the design and execution of the LM-7. The only gripes I have are the bolt body being mostly plastic...but I know thats a necessary part of the design. A metal bolt (even aluminum) would probably be too heavy for it to cycle reliably. The bolt is somewhat large for a .22 and I'm certain they had to find a way to cut down on the weight of the bolt.

The metal box that fits in the mag well has attachments points on both sides for the 200rd belt boxes. The left feeds the belted or linked ammo, the one on the right catches the spent links. The box itself catches the empty brass (which drops through the mag well) and has a hinge on the bottom plate so it can be emptied without removal from the firearm.

There is a quick change barrel mechanisim - push the silver button on the right side of the upper receiver and slide the barrel out.

Of course, you don't need to use either the belt boxes or the metal box in the mag well if you don't want to. Without the boxes, its a nice slim design, but I'm sure the boxes help keep the belts from getting tangled and causing feeding problems.

Here's a few more pics...

Old June 20, 2006, 02:30 PM   #8
psycho nut

That is very cool.

How many RPMs will it do?
Old June 20, 2006, 04:24 PM   #9
Asmodeous

Only need one of these...

Last edited by Asmodeous; June 20, 2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old June 20, 2006, 04:24 PM   #10
Asmodeous

Nice Berber

Oly makes their FIRSH in a 4" length for use with their pistol barrel uppers. That would give you a handguard and a place to mount a forward grip.

Of course, I ordered a 6.5" 9mm upper with that handguard in December and I still haven't seeen it, but that's probably because I ordered the FA bolt/carrier and that always screws up their ordering system. I should probably give them a call...
Old June 21, 2006, 02:05 PM   #11
cosmolinelover

Very cool man! How many rounds do they rate the plastic bolt body at? It looks solid enough... is it cheap to get replacements from them?

I can't wait to see some video!
Old June 21, 2006, 02:13 PM   #12
Ben Swenson

Very, very cool.

I'd love one of those.
Old June 21, 2006, 02:34 PM   #13
shaggy

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but hopefully laterthis week I'll get some time to get to the range, so I'm not sure on the cyclic rate or how well it'll actually work. Lakeside has plenty of experience with miniture versions of the Browning 1919 design though, so I'm fairly confident it run well (though having some experience with .22 MGs, I wouldn't be surprised if it needs a little tweaking or break-in period to get running good. FWIW, it cycled perfectly by hand).

I don't think the bolt has a set number of rounds before it'll need replacement. It seems very sturdy. The face is (obviously) steel so the body only provides support for the bolt face and the track for the cam pin in the topcover (which operates the beltfeed system). The back side of the bolt actually seems like a fairly low-stress part, just there to actuate the feed mechanisim.
Old June 23, 2006, 10:57 PM   #14
OneInTheChamber

Just a quick ?- would that upper function on a semi auto AR too? Would it be legal? And how much do they run? Thanks
Old June 24, 2006, 08:08 AM   #15
gunslinger555

also can you get it with a 16 inch barrel so i dont have to fill out any paperwork? that is if its legal to put on a semi
Quote:
would that upper function on a semi auto AR too? Would it be legal?
same question hire
Old June 24, 2006, 09:08 AM   #16
VUPDblue

If I may answer for Shaggy:

The beltfed upper is not an NFA firearm. It is an upper only and not a machinegun. If it is mated to a registered machingun lower, it will function in full auto mode. The standard barrel it comes with is 16.5" but SBR barrels are available. Their website says that it will function on an AR15 or an M16. Check it out here.
Old June 24, 2006, 12:55 PM   #17
gunslinger555

i know what dad is getting for christmas now