The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 1999, 03:02 AM   #1
Natty Bumpo

A Ruger Security Six is dependable, but its trigger pull is the pitts. There isn't much you can do about the "mile-long" travel, but is there any way to lighten it up and smooth it out?

As always, Thanks for the help.

------------------
><>
Old November 21, 1999, 08:24 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I bought a Clark adjustable mainspring (from Gil Hebard) and installed that in my Security Six. The mainspring guiderod was threaded and a nut installed on the end. By moving the nut, you adjusted the weight.

On the trigger, I slowly polished the sear, hammer and trigger on a hard arkansas. I also lightly polished the pawl (hand) and the cylinder stop. The mainspring guiderod (or is it called the hammer strut) which engages the hammer (the round part) was also polished. My polishing method was to lay the piece on the arkansas, keep it level and moving it slowly across the well oiled surface of the stone. This was done several times and the part refitted. A lot of testing (requiring reassembly) was required, and then it was disassembled and polished some more. The whole process was repeated until I was happy (and safety of the working mechanism wasn't compromised).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old November 21, 1999, 08:49 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Natty, the Clark spring unit is a good one but getting a light smooth DA pull on a revolver involves stoning/polishing 9 different areas. This is best left to a smith. George
Old November 21, 1999, 11:21 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Never was too fond of the spring replacement idea, but a Security Six I had years ago responded well to complete dissasembly, polishing all the wear marks out with a Dremel with a felt tip and Jeweler's rouge, lubing with Gunslick, wiping off all the Gunslick with a paper towel or clean lint free cloth and reassembly.

For good DA work, a light trigger is nice, but a smooth,clean pull's essential...
Old November 21, 1999, 09:32 PM   #5
Robert Foote

I went through a Ruger armorer's school some years back and have Kunhausen's book but never have felt comfortable doing much custom trigger work. If anyone knows of someone who does these and GPs exceptionally well I would be interested in a referral. I have a GP that has an absolutely beautiful trigger job--but the smith is no longer in business...

------------------