The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 10, 2012, 07:58 PM   #26
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_auto
Utah was behind for over 20 years even under the old version, and is even further back now!
When I compare where I can legally carry in Utah against Louisiana's many restrictions, I'll stick with poor ol' backward Utah.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:18 AM   #27
carguychris

Quote:
Don't think that will be a problem. We're talking about the same people that made the 1911 pistol the official state firearm for its 100th birthday.
Just because it's not a problem now doesn't mean it won't be a problem later.

The UT amendment basically says "Possession and use of arms is lawful except when the Legislature says it's not". IOW the UT legislature has very broad authority to determine what is and isn't lawful.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:23 AM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 Auto
Good luck with allowing your legislature to define "the lawful use of arms". Better hope that enough Diane Feinstein type Californians don't move there to take advantage of it.
Quoted for truth.

I was in a discussion with the rule-writing segment of my town's government a few weeks ago, over a municipal code provision that effectively bars mere possession of any loaded firearm on any municipal property. No definitions, so it has been argued that this applies even to public streets throughout the municipality. This is in a state that has a 2nd Amendment-like provision in the state constitution, and which issues concealed carry permits. And the municipality's attorney told the board that "state law does not allow firing a gun in self defense outside of the home."

When ordinary citizens (well, okay, extraordinary citizens) understand the laws better than the lawyers who are getting paid big bucks TO understand the laws ... it shows me that this country in in deep doo-doo.