The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2015, 08:05 PM   #51
James K
Member In Memoriam

I never expect to even see one and could never hope to own one, but that is one beautiful pistol and its lines indicate it would feel as nice as it looks.

BTW, the markings appear to be etched, not stamped, a common European way of marking guns (pre-war Walthers were etched, for example).

Jim
Old September 9, 2015, 10:18 PM   #52
745SW

The AR I spoke of suffered a non functioning set trigger because the lube got gummy seating for years. I have not experienced this with standard/stock AR's. Just an example of the higher attention needed for such a thing. Reliability goes down.
Old September 9, 2015, 11:07 PM   #53
bac1023

Quote:
The AR I spoke of suffered a non functioning set trigger because the lube got gummy seating for years. I have not experienced this with standard/stock AR's. Just an example of the higher attention needed for such a thing. Reliability goes down.
Interesting. Is there some sort of moral to this story?
Old September 9, 2015, 11:19 PM   #54
lifesizepotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
BTW, the markings appear to be etched, not stamped, a common European way of marking guns (pre-war Walthers were etched, for example).
Are there tell-tale signs of that? I'm thinking that because the marks are so precise but fine, and maybe a stamp press/roller couldn't achieve that?
Old September 9, 2015, 11:23 PM   #55
745SW

Design limitation can be overcome by material and workmanship but at what cost, initial, long term in the form of maintenance and qaulity of ammo. It can be said better results can be had with the more suited design.
Old September 9, 2015, 11:38 PM   #56
bac1023

Quote:
I never expect to even see one and could never hope to own one, but that is one beautiful pistol and its lines indicate it would feel as nice as it looks.

Jim
Thanks Jim

I'm not 100% sure about the markings, but I believe they are etched. You can see it when you magnify them. They are very finely done, as is everything on the pistol.

The only other pistol I own that has markings so fine is my 9mm Korth.

Last edited by bac1023; September 9, 2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old September 9, 2015, 11:40 PM   #57
bac1023

Quote:
Design limitation can be overcome by material and workmanship but at what cost, initial, long term in the form of maintenance and qaulity of ammo. It can be said better results can be had with the more suited design.
I'm not following you. What is limited about the design?
Old September 10, 2015, 01:19 AM   #58
745SW

A dual sided trigger bar, design, will have less flex than a single sided. Everything else being equal the dual will be stiffer.

Last edited by 745SW; September 10, 2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old September 10, 2015, 06:46 AM   #59
bac1023

All else is not equal. The Korriphila HSP may just be the highest quality pistol ever built.

It's very certainly one of them. It has about the nicest DA/SA trigger I ever felt.

Last edited by bac1023; September 10, 2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old September 10, 2015, 09:41 AM   #60
745SW

How does the HSP workmanship compare to Paul L of pistoldynamics.com?
Old September 10, 2015, 09:56 AM   #61
lifesizepotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745SW
A dual sided trigger bar, design, will have less flex than a single sided. Everything else being equal the dual will be stiffer.
There is absolutely and literally no flex. A dual bar design would not improve it, so the current design is not compromised outside of the academic hypotheticals you're trying to construct.
Old September 10, 2015, 10:22 AM   #62
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745SW
But everything else won't be equal... And if the dual-sided trigger bar assembly is made from the same material, but is less thick than a single-sided trigger bar, why will the materials used in a dual-sided trigger bar be less likely to flex than a thicker single-sided trigger bar? The metal used in these applications isn't as flexible as you seem to suggest -- and gun designers DO understand what's needed.

Some guns have TWO hammer hooks (i.e.,two points of hammer/sear interface) while other designs use a slightly different approach and have a single point of hammer-sear contact. That one point of contact can be very narrow or very wide, depending on the design.

If there's only one point of hammer/sear contact, the trigger bar design seems less important than if there are two, because even if there IS flex in the trigger bar (not likely, given the materials used on most trigger bars) the sear and hammer are still going to move crisply, as they're kept precisely aligned by the sear assembly and the hammer assembly (how they are mounted) in the frame, and that doesn't allow the trigger bar to have much effect on alignment.
  • The gunsmiths at the U.S. Army's Marksmanship Unit have gotten great results with the Beretta M9, which has a single-sided trigger bar.
  • Wilson Combat seems to be doing a slightly less-involved civilian version of that type of tuning, now, on their Beretta, too.
  • The SIG P-210 has a single-sided trigger bar, and it's renowned for it's accuracy -- and long service life. It was designed as a SERVICE PISTOL!
  • The SIG X-Five and X-Six guns all have a single-sided trigger bars, and they are arguably as accurate as (or more accurate than) some of the best Bullseye 1911s. They also have a service pistol pedigree, but the X-series never were service pistols, per se.
  • And there are the many handguns BAC1023 has discussed (and done reviews of on other forums). Not all of them have two-sided trigger bars. All of them are outstanding performers; all of them have outstanding triggers!
For most of these top-performing guns, the trigger is only a PART of the mix that results in superior accuracy and performance. Special care in production and precision fit seem also critical parts of the mix.

Your intuitive knowledge of how guns work and your understanding of the materials and techniques needed to make a gun perform well doesn't really trump the demonstrated performance of the guns cited above.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; September 10, 2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old September 10, 2015, 06:38 PM   #63
bac1023

Quote:

How does the HSP workmanship compare to Paul L of pistoldynamics.com?
Liebenberg makes an outstanding 1911, without doubt one of the best in the industry. I think refinement approaches and Korriphila and I think the fitting of the parts is probably about as good. Considering all Korriphila parts are machined from steel blocks, it's hard for much of any 1911 to compare in that regard.

While Paul has a unique flare that sets his guns apart from a standard 1911A1, the Korriphila is Budischowsky's own design. Again, it's hard for any 1911 to compete on that scale.

Hope this helps...
Old September 11, 2015, 03:51 PM   #64
Rinspeed

Quote:
Liebenberg makes an outstanding 1911, without doubt one of the best in the industry. I think refinement approaches and Korriphila and I think the fitting of the parts is probably about as good. Considering all Korriphila parts are machined from steel blocks, it's hard for much of any 1911 to compare in that regard.

While Paul has a unique flare that sets his guns apart from a standard 1911A1, the Korriphila is Budischowsky's own design. Again, it's hard for any 1911 to compete on that scale.

Hope this helps...

Pretty good answer Brian and after lusting after one of Paul's 1911s for quite a long time it really says something about the HSP. Especially knowing the level of your collection and having the privilege of checking out quite a few of them.
Old September 17, 2015, 02:26 PM   #65
bac1023

Quote:
Pretty good answer Brian and after lusting after one of Paul's 1911s for quite a long time it really says something about the HSP. Especially knowing the level of your collection and having the privilege of checking out quite a few of them.
Cool Jeff

Yeah, I really like the Korriphila.
Old September 17, 2015, 04:57 PM   #66
745SW

I still can't get a roundabout idea of the feel of the HSP trigger. Compared to an older Colt Python how does it differ In SA and DA?
Old September 17, 2015, 10:17 PM   #67
bac1023

Quote:
I still can't get a roundabout idea of the feel of the HSP trigger. Compared to an older Colt Python how does it differ In SA and DA?
The trigger pull is much shorter. I also find it more precise than a Python's DA pull.

Comparing it to a revolver is apples and oranges though.
Old September 17, 2015, 10:31 PM   #68
skizzums

I can't say I have ever seen another semi-auto offered in a frame machined from a solid block of Damascus steel. pretty cool.
Old September 17, 2015, 11:11 PM   #69
745SW

I generally keep trigger pull weight stock. Lowering the pull can cause a number of issues. One issue being inconsistent pull weight. Paul L appears to make a high consistency pull.
Old September 18, 2015, 02:46 AM   #70
bac1023

Quote:
I generally keep trigger pull weight stock. Lowering the pull can cause a number of issues. One issue being inconsistent pull weight. Paul L appears to make a high consistency pull.

It's not hard to give a 1911 a consistent trigger pull.

I'd be lying if I told you that I understood what point you're trying to make here. Could you please explain in layman's terms the meaning of your posts?

The trigger on the Korriphila is one of the nicest DA/SA triggers I own and I own quite a few. To use your word, it's not only great, but also very consistent.
Old September 18, 2015, 07:50 AM   #71
745SW

The rarity and lack of pro/con comments makes for difficult understanding of the HSP. It's like not having enough data points to go on. Just the same, appreciate your various reviews much.

Last edited by 745SW; September 18, 2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old September 18, 2015, 07:21 PM   #72
bac1023

Cool. I'm glad you like it.
Old September 19, 2015, 01:35 AM   #73
LockedBreech

Always worth the read, bac.
Old September 19, 2015, 01:17 PM   #74
Skans

Quote:
The trigger on the Korriphila is one of the nicest DA/SA triggers I own and I own quite a few. To use your word, it's not only great, but also very consistent.
I would like to get the opportunity some day to try the trigger on a DA/SA Korriphila. Since I generally prefer DA/SA to SAO, my quest has always been to try and find DA/SA pistol that feels like my Belgian Hi-Power in single action mode, yet has a smooth, reasonable length pull in double action. So far, the best I've experienced is the trigger on my Tanfoglio Stock 10mm.
Old September 19, 2015, 10:36 PM   #75
bac1023

Here's a range report my friend wrote up after we were done shooting today...

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/kor...e-day.1594373/