The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 16, 2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Mitroxis

Old Glock 23 Maintenance & Revival

I bought this Glock 23 at a pawn shop. It seems to be in pretty good shape for 24 years old. It definitely needs a new recoil spring. I detailed stripped it and it seems all of the parts are in order. The springs seem to still be good minus the recoil spring. There is almost no peening on the slide. The barrel is good. The slide has thin rust on the back right side by the cover plate. The frame has a few minor scratches. I'm not sure what to do about the slide. Maybe take a brass bristle brush and knock off the ugly with some hoppes and then cover it in oil? The locking block has lost some of the plating and is a little black (not from powder burn). The pins are straight. Front sight was missing but I already installed a new one.

So here's what I'm getting at...what should I replace on this pistol, if anything, to make it reliable for a ccw? Just because its old and all original. What would you do?

Old January 16, 2014, 10:38 PM   #2
Mitroxis

Maybe I'll have an electroless nickel finish put on the slide or maybe have it cerakoted. Does anyone know of a good place to have this done?
Old January 16, 2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Any reason you couldn't just replace the RSA, and then by a potload of ammo so that you can just shoot the snot out of it? How bad is the rust?
Old January 17, 2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Mitroxis

That's a possibility. I was just thinking about putting that type of finish on it for ccw.
Old January 18, 2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Roughedge

I would just love it and shoot it like it is , If you carry it everyday the finish is going to get dinged up anyway.