The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2011, 10:09 AM   #1
fishhead1

Berry's Kinetic Bullet Puller

Just an update to my less than desirable experiences with kinetic bullet pullers as previously discussed on this forum. Decided to try the Berry's Kinetic Bullet Puller that is offered on their site. One thing I liked about it is the fact they include four different sized collets (color coded O-rings) which looked like a pretty good idea. In addition, on arrival, found that the Berry's puller includes detailed instructions for correct use (which my previous puller did not have). I immediately noted some things I had been doing wrong in my technique. For wrong thing, they recommend using "firm, sharp taps" as opposed to "strong, heavy blows", to dislodge the bullet. I also tried using a block of treated 2x6" (held end-wise in a vise) to absorb the blows.
Glad to report that my initial experience with this puller have been successful and surprisingly easy. Initially tried some .41 Mags I had on hand that needed pulling. Found that it usually took only 2-3 sharp raps (as per instructions) for them to "give up" the bullets. Also tried some older .38 Special wadcutters that I had previously tried pulling without success. These also "gave up" the bullet with only 2-3 sharp raps with the Berry's puller.
Based upon my initial successful efforts, I believe this bullet puller will definitely be a "keeper".
Old June 2, 2011, 10:13 AM   #2
spacecoast

Good to hear, and nice job with the wadcutters. Those can be a bear.
Old June 2, 2011, 05:28 PM   #3
wncchester

"I believe (Berry's) bullet puller will definitely be a "keeper".

I've had two previous impact pullers before my Berry's. There's no massive difference - can't be in such a simple device - but I also prefer this one. The four sets of collets is nice, so is the rubber button in the bottom of the cavity and so is the rubber coated hand grip.