The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 2014, 01:11 AM   #1
hoss1969

New Ruger SR9 internals

Just picked up a SR 9 from a buddy new in box. He bought two then wife saw the SR 9c. So this gun never made it out of the box. So its been sitting in the safe for a little and as any new gun I stripped it to inspect it.. feed ramp had sharp edges and definitely needed a good polish. The trigger group was packed with gunk and fine particles. NOTE TO ANYONE who is going to remove the trigger from the frame..... There is a tiny little wittle wire that just sits on the side between the frame and trigger group. It just kind sits there. Easy to not see or have it disappear...

. So it got a good cleaning and treatment with seal1. The firing pin got taken out and mag safety put in the box. This is where I was shocked... the firing pin assembly and receiver was packed with gunk and flickered in the light with all the little flakes in it. Cleaned it out and treated with seal1. Put it back together and checked the trigger pull.... its a amazing 4lb-4.1lb pull!!!

No ghost trigger or anythig replaced yet. Just a deep clean and pulled the magazine safety. Questions as follows... it this normal for a D magazine release SR9, or just lucky? To clarify its a repeated clean pull and break at 4-4.1lbs. Next has anyone fine sanded or the striker rod? Did it make a difference?

Last questions.... any gunsmith have any experience with a gun coming out of the factory like this? Should I do the ghost? Not so much for the pull but for the reset? Or should I just be happy and dont screw with it?

Im kinda afraid while I may get a better reset, I screw up a great trigger. Honestly, I'm usually the guy going " lucky S.O.B..wish that was me". Its completely different on this side of a post.
Old October 11, 2014, 09:18 AM   #2
g.willikers

The newer full sized versions, the ones with the D shaped mag release, instead of the earlier round types, do have an improved trigger.
The compact models always did have a good one.
From my experience with some rental guns, it would seem hard to improve on the trigger for every day use.
For competition, maybe.
And it is amazing how filthy new guns can be.
Old October 11, 2014, 02:49 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
To clarify its a repeated clean pull and break at 4-4.1lbs. Next has anyone fine sanded or the striker rod? Did it make a difference?
You stated the trigger pull twice as if it's so good it's hard to believe and put three exclamation points after it one of the statements.

It seems something of a contradiction to be so amazed by an out of the box striker fired gun with a very good trigger pull and then, in the same breath, ask how to improve it. If it's not keeping you from shooting it accurately, and if it's truly amazing enough to warrant three exclamation points and reiteration then maybe it's good enough to use just as it is.
Quote:
...the firing pin assembly and receiver was packed with gunk and flickered in the light with all the little flakes in it.
My nephew has an SR9C. After shooting it, I stripped the slide. The extractor plunger channel was so packed with crap that the plunger couldn't be fully depressed. As a result, I ended up damaging the plastic cladding on the striker plate cover in the process of removing the striker plate. That, combined with the damage done by the assembler forcing the plate past the extractor plunger made replacing the cover plate a necessity. Using a paperclip, I removed a considerable amount of what appeared to be blasting media that was packed in the channel. I saved the offending detritus and sent it to Ruger. They replaced the striker plate cover, but did not make any comment about the root cause.

That's not the only time I've run into that kind of thing. I once found the takedown lever recess on a brand new Beretta 92FS filled with some sort of garbage.
Old October 11, 2014, 04:21 PM   #4
hoss1969

Well we all try to keep improving. Is good ever good enough? Isnt that why we keep practicing our draws and shooting skills. If someone has smoothed the striker rod and it improved the trigger is that not something worth looking into? My main reason on the thought of the ghost is not to improve the trgger pull, all though would that be bad if it did?

Why do some people detail their cars instead of just wash it in the driveway? Or professionally tune a factory tuned car? IMHO its to get the most you possibly can. But when to stop? At what point does a artist say " yep, its finished"

The thing I'm looking for will it improve the reset of the trigger. I know sometimes that a item is manufactured so well that no one knows how it happend... example Ive read a of a gulfstream 5 owner that has two engines that are well past rebuild hours but still performs well into spec's that he refused to send in to the manufacturers to rebuild, they even offered hem two new ones so there engineer coud figure out what they did so right with them.
Old October 11, 2014, 06:52 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Is good ever good enough?
Yes, actually it is. In fact, there's a saying that goes: "The best is the enemy of good enough." The point of the saying is twofold. First, that when something is good enough, you can leave it alone and focus on something that's more important. If everything has to be the best then you can never finish anything because you always think you can make what you're working on now just a little bit better. Second, that there's always the chance of making something worse than it is when it's already good enough and you try to improve it further.

You'd be better off spending your time training--dryfiring, working on your draw or shooting at the range than trying to improve a trigger that's already so good that it's worth a double-take and a triple exclamation point. That's without getting into the possibility of messing up that "amazing" trigger in the process of trying to make it super-fantastic amazing instead of just amazing.
Old October 11, 2014, 09:18 PM   #6
DT Guy

Actually, I'd always heard it as, " 'Good enough' is ever the enemy of better", implying that people who stop at 'good enough' hinder the efforts of those who strive for more?

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old October 11, 2014, 10:03 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Obviously it can go both ways, the key is knowing when good enough isn't actually good enough and when it really is. I'd say that as a good rule of thumb, something that's so good it's "amazing!!!" is probably actually good enough.
Old October 12, 2014, 12:08 PM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Then there is the old saying, "Don't fix it if it isn't broken". A 4 pound pull is very good to excellent as compared to some. A 3 pound pull is considered the cut-off weight for safety in sidearms.
Old October 12, 2014, 08:15 PM   #9
hoss1969

First 7 rounds at 7 yarda(21')

Yep, think I'll leave it alone..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141012_171809_038-1.jpg (68.7 KB, 28 views)
Old October 12, 2014, 10:19 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Good shooting.
Old October 12, 2014, 11:27 PM   #11
hoss1969

Thanks. I try to keep it tight. Happy with the gun after the first group. Its my first striker and as much as I dragged my feet to buy one I have to give it its due. Its now my primary CCW gun and going to order a shell swap for my Alien gear holster.

With 18 rounds of USM4 (liberty civil defence) its a whole 1lb 14 & 5/8 ounces. Put some of the USM4 through the chronograph from the SR9 highest was 2093 fps. And lowest was 2032 fps.

While I wasn't to happy how dirty it was from production and test fire, I have to say first impression is what I expected and a lot more from ruger. Next weekend I'll try different brands and weights of target ammo and see how she chews thru them. But not expecting any problems as it ate the 115 gr Winchester White box and loved the High speed USM4 Rounds.

Tags
ghost , sr9 , trigger , trigger work