The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 13, 2011, 09:27 AM   #26
Nordeste

Quote:
Nordeste, we have a Constitution that says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I don't think you'll find too many of us who want to give the government any leeway to impose more restrictions on firearm ownership.

We generally favor the philosophy of holding people accountable for what they actually do, as opposed to what we fear they might do.

The standard for denying somebody a right has to be set extremely high; the burden is on the government to prove why they need to impose any restriction. There are many things that citizens of EU nations might find normal, that Americans would never accept from our government. Although a lot of Americans have been trending toward dependency on the state, in the last many years...

You've seen how well dependence on the state has worked in Greece. I fear their problems are going to spread through a large portion of the EU in the near future. I hope we can reverse our own trend before it really bites us.
Yes, I understand that, and please believe me if I tell you that I agree with a lot of your points of view. I've shared my time working alongside American cops on peacekeeping ops and I'm one of those -rare- Europeans that attracts weird looks when I defend your stands towards firearms ownership over here , and that I'd want the same rights for us. However, undergoing a medical test, under my point of view, it's not a limitation to a right, but perhaps a requirement to exercise that right given that someone else's rights might be affected.

However, what I can't fully understand is how a person can be denied a firearms permit based on an failed military entrance test or something similar, which I think it's what debated here, hence my surprise and suggestion.

Greece's problems, IMO, have been more related to the fact that they lied to enter the Euro zone and have been spending more money that they actually had for quite a long time, plus endemic corruption. Similar problems, though not as serious, affect other countries (including us) in the EU, and we have a few hard years of adjustments to come.
Old September 13, 2011, 11:39 AM   #27
MLeake

Nordeste, the idea is accessing records of people refused entry to the military for psychological reasons, or requiring DOD to make those records public for firearms restriction purposes.

Knee-jerk reaction to the Giffords shooting.
Old September 13, 2011, 12:04 PM   #28
C0untZer0

They have cars that won't function if the operator is drunk.

I am going to invent a gun that won't fire if the person holding it is Coo-Coo for Cocoa Puffs.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:17 PM   #29
Eghad

Quote:
However, undergoing a medical test, under my point of view, it's not a limitation to a right, but perhaps a requirement to exercise that right given that someone else's rights might be affected.
One again the constitutional standard here is that to lose rights you must be adjudicated mentally defective. A medical exam in not an adjudication process. I deal with medical readiness issues for the military as a civilian employee. I have seen many false positives come through the interview process. The doctor/medical interviewer asks some questions. A positive answer only indicates that you need to see a professional mental health person for further tests. These tests may not be right even. The medical proffesional could even be predjudiced against you because they beleive in gun control.

Which is why adjudication through an adversarial process is the best way to guarantee your rights and is the standard in this country.

NRA Life Member