The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 2, 2015, 11:32 AM   #26
natman

It's said there were a very few Winchester 100s made in 358, although it's so few it's more like prototypes than production. I've never been able to find a catalog reference, but the subject is discussed in this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=621508
Old September 2, 2015, 12:17 PM   #27
dgludwig

natman, while attending a gun show a couple of years ago I actually saw and handled a Model 100 rifle that was chambered in .358 (I've always thought that this would have been a great idea) and was so marked. In all appearances, it looked to be an unaltered, factory-made, Model 100. From all of the information I've been able to find, however, there is no evidence that Winchester ever "marketed" a Model 100 chambered in .358 and the best guess seems to be that the few that have been discovered were, as you suggested, "prototypes". I'd really be interested in learning the "real" story behind this apparent anomaly.
Old September 8, 2015, 02:23 PM   #28
briandg

to mention something I haven't seen yet, the only practical difference is that the 358 is the short action. it fires the same bullets as the whelen at about a 10% lower velocity. A .308 could be rebarreld for the .358, but would it be worth the time? It's not going to have any serious alteration in performance on anything but the very largest of pigs. I'd use either a tipped bullet, or a big blunt one that will open up quickly. a traditional spitzer point may not get in enough expansion with such a heavy round within the first inches, and may even pass through without enough expansion to matter if the hog is smallish.
Old September 8, 2015, 02:55 PM   #29
fourbore

If you are looking to maximize your redundancy then here is the 9.3x62 offered recently by ruger and cz. And from cz was a kevlar model 550, that seemed very appealing before I came to my senses.

I never hunted hogs, seems like a good candidate for a 44mag marlin lever. But what do I know? The 44 hits pretty hard.
Old September 11, 2015, 09:35 PM   #30
Savage99

I got a Savage 99F in .358 Win. in 1966 and made it my primary big game cartridge. I have shot the most deer with the .358.

I started hand loading and deer hunting in 1953 and have rifles chambered for most hunting and some target cartridges. It feels cool woods hunting with a 358.

The bottom two rifles are .358's!

Old September 12, 2015, 04:12 AM   #31
jughead2

358 winchester

one question who needs an excuse to buy another firearm? if it doesnt take food from the table or cause a problem with rent money oh or get too far into the beer budget i buy the dang thing.
Old September 12, 2015, 07:44 AM   #32
gearhounds

If you like levers, and are just looking for an excuse, why not get something that is ballistically different instead of a caliber that approximates what you're already rocking?

Consider the 45-70. Unless you're routinely shooting hogs at well over 200 yards, the 18.5" Guide would be a hog killing machine. If you reload, the possibilities are limitless with faster bullet weights from 250 grains to slow moving monsters in the 500-550 grain range. Along with anything that walks the planet, hogs fall to the Gubmint all the time
Old September 12, 2015, 07:52 AM   #33
Boogershooter

I've killed quite a few with the 45-70. Its a fine choice but to be perfectly honest my 45-70 gets more safe time these days. Guess u could say I've spent my wad with it already and always looking at something new. I've looked in every gun shop around and havnt found the right used rifle yet in this round but I will one day. I'm headed now to the back yard to play with my newest play pretty. 26 nosler