The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 1, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Big Tom

Looking for a CHEAP reliable revolver...

I will be turning 21 on Nov 26th and I want to get a cheap and reliable revolver. I was looking for a .357 or .38. I have never shot handguns before mind you but I know I can handle more than a .22 as I have 3 .22 rifles in my house. My budget CANNOT EXCEED $250-300 NOT A PENNY MORE. As I just dont have it right now and wont for a very long time. This guns primary purpose will be plinking and home defense. Perhaps if reliable enough for concealment purposes so I dont want a barrel exceeding 4" but I want a barrel that is not less than 3". I no it sounds picky but out of all the guns out there surely someone knows something that can help me....
Old July 1, 2010, 02:40 PM   #2
azredhawk44

Charter Arms revolver.

However:

Quote:
I want to get a cheap and reliable revolver.
Pick one. Unlikely to get both.

Quote:
This guns primary purpose will be plinking and home defense. Perhaps if reliable enough for concealment purposes so I dont want a barrel exceeding 4" but I want a barrel that is not less than 3".
You have two choices in this price bracket, new: A Taurus, or a Charter. The Taurus has a high probability of being a lemon and needing to go back to the factory. You'll end up paying that expense. Possibly more than once.

A charter is less likely to INITIALLY need to go back to the factory. But, their frames are made from aluminum alloy rather than steel, which means they aren't as strong. They'll wear out, eventually. A Charter is not a "range gun." You put a thousand rounds a year through a charter and you'll wear it out.

Consider this:

A box of .357 magnum cartridges will cost you northwards of $20, for 50 rounds.

That means 200-250 rounds = $100. That's two range trips, plus range fees.

If you forgo a cheap revolver and get a Ruger GP100 or SP101 when you have the money (about $425 last I checked) then you'll have a good gun to go to the range with, that will last HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of rounds.

It'll cost you the wait of 3-5 range trips.
Old July 1, 2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Big Tom

I heard about charter arms having crappy guns as well and that one customer had a gun with scratches(lots) on the cylinder and barrel, and another had rust. BTW I heard something about EAA and Rossi? And wut I mean by reliable is no jamming up if I had to defend myself. And I suspect I wouldnt put more that oh maybe 500 rds a year on it wut with all the other guns I will be using as well.

I hit the Range at a max of 3 times per month usually and in winter our ranges are all closed so...
Old July 1, 2010, 02:51 PM   #4
glock199mm

look for a used ruger or smith and wesson like a model 10 the used ruger or smith will be better then a cheap new gun
Old July 1, 2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Big Tom

I truely believe that that they would be except people get to nuts with biidding alot, transfer fees are a pain in the *** and my local gun stores have rep's to be very untrustworthy. Its hard to do that when you cant trust them to deliver a working product at all.
Old July 1, 2010, 03:02 PM   #6
longranger

What glock199mm said,

I just bought a damn nice used S&W Mdl. 10 for $190.00 off G.B., $30.00 shipping, $25.00 FFL transfer, $245.00 grand total. Police trade ins are the deal, carried alot shot very little.You will never do better than a S&W Mdl 10 for your price range.
Old July 1, 2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Fiv3

As mentioned before, look for a cheap police trade in .38 or .357.
If you are looking for affordable, these old .38s can be had for close to $250 out the door. They are usually carried a lot and shot little and have a lot of life left in them.

Most folks generally want a .357 over a .38 in a full sized revolver due to being able to feed it several kinds of ammo. However, if all you have money for is a good old .38, you shouldn't feel undergunned. With a good ammo choice and a 4" barrel, you have an effective manstopper and plinker, especially if it will handle +p loads.

I know for my own personal protection needs, a 2" snubbie chambered in .38+p is very comforting.

Good luck
Old July 1, 2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Big Tom

To be totally honest I would lean towards the .357 for the obvious reason BUT a .38 would not bother me either I would take either one without complaint, problem is idk where u guys are getting ur guns cuz budsgunshop.com and gunbroker.com really dont have much to offer me. I just see a bunch of damn stupid daringers and they are just an eye sore to me.
Old July 1, 2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Fiv3

J&G sales sometimes have cases of used police/milsurp coming through. However, I generally don't buy online. By the time you pay for shipping and a transfer fee you are pretty close to buying one from a brick and motor shop.

Maybe shop around your town? I have a gun store here which doesn't have internet prices, but they tend to treat repeat customers fairly. Sometimes (and this very very rare) you can find a good deal on a used gun from Gander Mountain, but try a local guy first. I know I got my LCR from my gun guy for $399...Gouger Mountain wanted $549
Old July 1, 2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Eskimo

A used Smith & Wesson model 64 from jgsales.com is pretty much your best bet..

No reliable new revolvers come to mind for 300 bucks.
Old July 1, 2010, 03:36 PM   #11
jimbob86

My $.02.........

.... if money is that tight..... look for a used ruger sp101in .357 ...... I got mine for $400 last year. Then invest in a Lee Loader in .38, so you can aford to shoot the thing.

It will work for what you want it for (plinking and home defense, and is small enough for CCW). It will likely outlast you.
Old July 1, 2010, 03:57 PM   #12
gb_in_ga

For a reliable wheelgun in your price range, I'd advise you to consider the used market. If you look around, you may be able to find a used 4" S&W K frame for that much. They used to be easy to find and cheaper than that, but times change... FWIW, a few years ago (back in '05, IIRC), I spotted a 4" S&W 15-2 (that's a .38 Spl K frame with adjustable sights) that was in serviceable condition (just some holster wear, the ejector rod needed tightening, and the main spring adjust screw needed tightening) for the princely sum of $180 in the used gun display at the LGS. It currently resides at SWMBO's bedside, and it's one sweet shootin' revolver.

I still think it is your best bet.
Old July 1, 2010, 04:10 PM   #13
BigJimP

A used S&W ( model 10 ) in .38 spl is possible around $ 250 .....and a good buy. They're great guns / and they just are not popular unless they are in near unfired condition - but there are a lot of them around that were carried by law enforcement officers with the parkerized finish worn off from holster wear - that are still mechanically sound.

Just find a decent used gun shop in your area / talk to the owner -- and see if they can find you what you want. Shopping on the internet or auction sites is a waste of time for utilitarian guns like an old model 10 usually.
Old July 1, 2010, 04:19 PM   #14
JakeSnakeSlim

A good used Ruger or Smith in 357 or 38sp is within your budget.

I would look for a snub nose 2" all steel blue (heavy) revolver, that way you could use it to carry if you want, but a 4 " is better for a range gun. Lots of people have gone to the light weight 2" snub's and traded these in or are willing to sell the older (in my opionion better) heavy guns. 38's especially may be a better buy than going to a 357. If money is an issue, it is now for most, the 38 is the what I would look for. 38's are fun to shoot and cheap to shoot. With 38+p ammo or good old standard 38 special Wadcutter ammo, if it is not rated for +p, they make a very adaquate self defense weapon.

Also don't pay the price a dealer has on a used snub. Make him an offer at least 25% below the asking price. Check gunbroker or one of the other on line auction sites for what they are going for so you will know what's resonable to pay. Personaly I would not buy used off the net.

Check out the what to look for in a used revolver sticky.

Good Luck
Old July 1, 2010, 04:24 PM   #15
aarondhgraham

Quote:
A charter is less likely to INITIALLY need to go back to the factory.
But, their frames are made from aluminum alloy rather than steel
Au contraire mon ami,,,
Only their lightweight models are aluminum alloy,,,
All their other models of guns are stainless steel or blued steel.

For my money I would not hesitate to buy a new Charter,,,
Just keep saving and wait until you have another $100.00 stashed away,,,
Buy a new Charter Arms pistol, keep the money in America, It's not a bad gun.

Used S&W is the way I would go though,,,
If you are patient and haunt the used gun displays,,,
You can get a used Model 10, 15, or the stainless versions for $300.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 1, 2010, 04:59 PM   #16
Dave R

Another vote for buying used.

Just be sure to read Jim March's excellent sticky about buying a used revolver.

Enjoy!
Old July 1, 2010, 05:33 PM   #17
Charles Ellis

Charter Arms revolvers are not the junk that many think.They are not as well finished as some of the other brands,but I never had any problems with the ones that I have owned.If you decide to look at used guns then check J&G Sales' web site.They have a number of S&W police trade-ins in 38 spec for prices ranging from $210-$259.Shipping and transfer fees from your FFL dealer would likely add about $50-$60 to that cost.
Old July 1, 2010, 06:00 PM   #18
Eskimo

Charles, MOST people don't have problems with taurus or charter arms (95%), but I believe their failure figures are still much higher than S&W or Ruger.

You probably won't have a problem with whatever you buy.. but why buy the one that MIGHT fail?
Old July 1, 2010, 06:02 PM   #19
EdInk

Here you go:

http://www.jgsales.com/advanced_sear...sort/3a/page/3
Old July 1, 2010, 06:10 PM   #20
Shipman515

My local shop has used Smith 36s for sale ranging from 250-300.

(And maybe I should read the entire post before recommending a 2 inch barrel.)
Old July 1, 2010, 06:14 PM   #21
oneounceload

Did J&G run out of those model 64's for 250? A nice 38, while 4", will suffice till you have the money to shoot more
Old July 1, 2010, 06:24 PM   #22
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I want to get a cheap and reliable revolver.
AZ Redhawk nailed it dead right. Pick one or the other as you likely won't find both in a new gun.

I'm with the rest and suggest a used S&W or Ruger.
Old July 1, 2010, 06:34 PM   #23
Couzin

Yep - used SW as suggested. Use the revolver checkout sticky at the top of this section. Question - if you are in Delaware (a 'may' issue State), will they actually issue a concealed carry permit to you? I know they do stuff like make you post a notice in the local newspaper (with home address) that you are applying - just how difficult is it?
Old July 1, 2010, 06:35 PM   #24
JonathanZ

I know you said revolver, but if money is that tight I would look at a Hi Point in 9mm. The compact version is the only one in right now at Buds and it's $169 shipped. You could probably find one at a local shop and use that price to negotiate and save the hassle of the transfer.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/48302

20 out of 22 reviews there give it 4 or 5 stars.

Now, I have never shot one, but the reviews say it's a great gun for the money even if it's ugly and heavy. I would like to get one to leave in my truck at all times and not have to worry about losing a $500 gun if my truck gets broken into.

9mm ammo can also be had for $9.50 for a box of 50 from wal-mart while 38 special and .357 mag run in the neighborhood of $16 to $17 for a box of 50.

I personally would like to get a GP100 next, but if money is tight then 9mm ammo is way cheaper regardless of what gun you get.
Old July 1, 2010, 06:41 PM   #25
Big Tom

lemme just throw out I dont mind buying used so long as I can get 3-5 years out of it. But I only found S&W 10 at around 350 which is just a rip off once you throw in the extra fees.

btw lemme also throw out that I want a gun that is not gonna need lots of cleaning or has low jamming problems which is why semi's are out the door for me. PLUS I LOVE REVOLVERS! Huge Clint Eastwood fan!