The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2008, 08:37 AM   #1
BigBlack

Range Trip Spoiled

This week I hustled each evening doing enough honey dues so I could spend a little time in the Mans Den working up a few reloads. It was not until yesterday I remembered a family reunion today, therefore no range trip this weekend. I did however workup the following

.223 30 round (fine tuning sweet spot) using H335 and Hornady 53gr match HPBT

.243 21 rounds (still working on finding sweet spot) using H4350 and 100gr Sierra Game Kings

8x57mm 33 rounds (first time with this one) using Varget and Hornady 150gr SP

30-06 33 rounds (first time with this one) using IMR4350 and 165gr Hornady SST

Why 4 at a time, well it is hard to sit there and wait for a barrel to cool so I will alternate the 4 rifles, 3 shots each then walk out to the 100 and replace targets and once back at bench record all my data on the individual targets and start my next series. Does this sound like a good plan? Wish me luck!
Old September 20, 2008, 11:39 AM   #2
BurkGlocker

Are you going to start with the big boys first and work your way down or vice versa?

Yesterday I went to the range, and I would fire a shot out of my rifle and then go down to the pistol range and slow fire with my 9mm. After a mag I would go back down to the rifle and check the barrel to see if it had cooled enough. I always take multiple firearms out to the range when I am sighting in or testing loads, gives me something to do whilst I wait.
Old September 20, 2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Lavid2002

I love ur plan, sept for the walking down thing....I got a spotting scope : D
Now I put up as many targets as I can fit on my board, shoot until theres no paper left, reading every shot and recoring..THEN when I have to walk down ill walk down. Ill use the time after I walk down to have a snack and a drink as walking a couple hundred yards rises my heart rate a little and with that goes my breathing and my reload information is no good if i cnt shoot.
Old September 20, 2008, 03:22 PM   #4
BigBlack

wharsmahhummer, I am most excited about the 223 load, last trip I printed a .6" 5 shot group so I will have to shoot it first. I am next very excited about the 8x57 which I am doing for my father. He will be with me so it may get laid in the vice first. The 30-06 is a work up for a brand new Ruger Hawkeye that a friend purchased so I am really excited about being first on it as well. The my 243 is my hunting rifle and I have to get my load ready for gun season in a few weeks. All that said I really do not know what I will start with, I am ecited about all of them.

Lavid2002, I need the exercise. A year ago I was running 6 miles a day and would fully recover heart rate in about 5 minutes or less. After my walk back I will be doing a lot of documenting and shold be able to recover my heart rate from a slow walk. I hope to get back to running in the next week or so and try to be in shape by hunting season.

Any way good to be at the range and even better with pills I rolled
Old September 21, 2008, 05:46 PM   #5
BurkGlocker

I loaded up some .308 loads, and was very excited when all of my loads printed @ less than .750" @ 100 yards. I will be trying for some more umph out of them while trying to maintain accuracy.

But I started loading 9mm first, and that very first trigger squeeze was almost as good as something else I enjoy that heck out of. Almost... Theres nothing more satisfying than making your own loads and popping em off.

I must a be a little lucky, because our range has caleche covered road ways taht we can drive out to the targets, and its especially helpful when I have to hang a target @ 200-300 yards, but I usually walk out to the 100 yard mark.

Hope you have fun with your new loads BigBlack!