The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2002, 09:51 AM   #26
Coronach

RANGE REPORT

OK, the other thread reminded me I have yet to post the range report from my recent trip with The Wife.

We hauled out the gun in riot configuration, and sent 25 rounds of light game loads downrange. This was mostly just a shakedown cruise to see how well Wife and Gun perform together, and the results were decent. Her form (ahem...her SHOOTING form) is a bit rough, but thats to be expected. She also needs work on the manual of arms for the weapon and has difficulty hitting the action release lever properly. Ithaca seems to recess this part just far enough against the trigger guard that she has to pause and deliberately push it when needed. She also is not used to the trigger, which has a much different feel from the positive slap-*CLICK* of the 870. She short stroked it twice (again, minds out of the gutter, please ), but it was easily unbound by flipping the gun over and re-racking. Once she figured out that the gun needed to be racked with a little bit of authority, she had no further problems.

The gun did its part every time. Patterning is uncertain. There was no patterning board, and the range we used has a limit on how close you can put your targets (my PD range is currently closed down for in-service training). We weren't exactly using defensive loads, anyway. The gun handles wonderfully...it takes a bit of adjustment after using the Ninja-ized 870 which now has the ergonomics and aesthetics of a T-55 MBT.

I'll work with her on form, and will probably be tweaking the stock a tad. If anything its just a hair short for her, which is OK. Adding spacers or changing out pads is easy.

Oh, one small bruise on the arm where she failed to shoulder the gun properly. Still keeping the loads light, to avoid magnumitis.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old May 24, 2002, 04:04 PM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good start,Mike. If I may....

Leave the stock alone. Lots of folks work into their stocks, their form improves so that a stock that was just right ends up a tad short. For a "Serious" shotgun, no disadvantage. If it does go a bit too short add spacers 18" at a time.

Have her learn clearance and loading/unloading drills. And throw some clays, she will get really hyped when she busts her first one.

Gamebore offers some 2 1/2" light recoil/low noise loads in 16 gauge. Mo' costly than K mart, but the advantages will be well worth the few bucks spent.
Finally, be a mature and sensitive individual and congratulate her when she outshoots you(G)....
Old May 24, 2002, 11:57 PM   #28
Coronach

heh.

She already shoots my P232 as well as I do, just not as quickly.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein