The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 7, 2012, 06:28 PM   #26
MonsterB

I agree with the posters who advocate carrying whenever possible. I do, even though I live in an area not known for crime, and I also dont frequent bad areas. It seems to me some of the most heinous crimes happen in areas where you woud least expect it. On my days off, one of my carry gun is with me 100% of the time, and when I have to travel to Mass to work, as soon as I get home my 229 is out of he safe and with me instantly. For time when carrying the bi gun is not convienient, I bring a j frame with me in the pocket, but I always have something. If you are the sort that only has big guns, considder getting something small and reliable so you can always have an option if the need arises. I live in a good area, and yet my Mom was held up at gunpoint whe I was younger, and just down the street from where I work, two people were shot to death a few weeks ago in a robbery. The s can hit the fan anywhere,at any time, without any kind of warning, so if you have a gun, keep it with you, a much as possible, I say.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:57 PM   #27
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Archer 9505
When to carry?
Sub -Title: Can of Worms.

Carry as close to 24x7 as possible. Make it a habit 'cause when evil rears it's ugly head, it usually doesn't have an appointment. If I knew the date/time/place of when evil was going show, I would stay home...and if it was going to show up at my door and I knew this ahead of time, I'd call 911 and wait inside with an AK and a few extra mags.

Think about this - the last time you slipped and fell on your butt, did you know you were going to do just that when you woke up that morning?
Old September 7, 2012, 07:34 PM   #28
orionengnr

I will paraphrase the statements of several wise men (since I'm not sure if I can remember the exact quotations):

1. You will probably never neeed a gun. But if you do, you will need it more than you have ever needed anything in your life.

And my personal favorite, short and sweet...
2. Carry 24/7, or guess right.

Quote:
I think that the OP's question contains some excellent analysis.
There are downsides to carrying. You can't, for example, have an accidental discharge if you don't carry a firearm.
Sorry, but this indicates very limited reasoning. Taking this form of logic to its inevitable conclusion:

--If you never set foot in a car, you will never be in an auto accident.
--If you never take a bath/shower, you reduce your chances of slip/fall accident to near zero.
--If you never walk out your front door, you will not be struck by lightning.
--If you live in a cave without electricity or gas, your chances of a home fire drop to near zero.

And so forth, and so on.

Additionally, most "accidental discharges" are actually negligent discharges. Both are exceedingly rare, and you can reduce the chances of both to near zero by a) carrying a modern weapon in good condition and b) adhering to the Four Rules.

Bottom line: You cannot eliminate risk from life. You can evaluate and mitigate risk, and most people do so many times per day, without conscious thought.

There are things I can control, and things I cannot. Not carrying is abdicating control of one of the things I can control, and hoping that the best in human nature prevails.

The older I get, the less faith I have in human nature. And at 55, I sure can't run like I could at 25.
Old September 7, 2012, 08:19 PM   #29
irish52084

When I first started to carry, I only did so very rarely. I kind of felt that unless I was doing something that I felt elevated my threat level I didn't carry. As a year or 2 went on, I just decided if I was going to carry and train, I might as well carry as much as possible.

I had a few shifts in my carry methods from then to now. I used to carry very small pistols. Now, My smallest carry gun is an XDM 3.8 9mm, with full size grip. Basically a good holster and decent belt make it concealable even in a T-shirt for me. It will poke out if I reach my arms above my head or print when I bend over and touch my toes, but printing is not a problem in my state and honestly, I just don't do those things unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old September 7, 2012, 11:12 PM   #30
Sgt.Fathead

A good friend of mine for a great many years moved from NJ, our home state, to AZ long before I made the move to TX. In New Jersey there is no carry. None. NBA and NFL guys who live in NJ get "courtesy" permits from the Governor of course but for the average Joe, no go.

So whenever I would speak to my friend, who had a 2nd Gen Glock 19 in a biometric wall safe for years unfired and never carried, I would basically berate him for it. Eventually, it worked! He got out his Glock, went to the range, reacquainted himself with shooting and remembered that he loved it. He sold the 2nd Gen, bought two 3rd Gen 19s, an AR, a shotgun, etc. He became an NRA instructor and a gun rights proponent.

Once upon a time, I lived in a restricted state. Now I live in America again! I always carry. Always. The weight of my gun is lighter than regret.

Exercise those rights!

Last edited by Frank Ettin; September 7, 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: delete inappropriate language
Old September 8, 2012, 03:34 AM   #31
Viper225

I carry every day, and I live in a very low threat area. Living in a Rural Area, I live on a different Planet that City Dwellers. I fire my concealed carry handguns several times each year other than at the range. I shoot poison snakes, armodillows, deer hit by vehicles, maby a snapping turtle changing ponds now and again.
Probably the highest threat place I am at is Church. You never know when somebody will bring someone to church who is having problems with an abusive husband, of boyfriend.
We have an armed robbery every 5 to 10 years in the County I live in.
We do have a murder every year or so, but normally it will be a domestic, or a drug related incident.

By carrying every day, I am 100% comfortable carrying when I do go to an elevated threat area.

I also compete in pistol matches using my concealed carry equipment.
Competing with my carry weapons, really helps get the bugs out of carrying extra ammo to reload with, holster location, etc..

The more you carry, and the more familiar you are with your concealed carry weapon, the safer everyone is around you. By carrying you are the sheep dog in the flock, and not just another sheep.

Bob
Old September 8, 2012, 07:59 AM   #32
jimmyjackjones

Prior to home invasion last fall and subsequently shooting a bad guy, I carried part time. Now my Sig goes with me at all times. Sig, wallet, cell, and keys is my routine prior to leaving my home. I also practice, practice, practice. I'll bet there are many that carry 100% but in reality are very unprepared.

...jjj
Old September 8, 2012, 08:39 AM   #33
Sparks1957

Whenever I can legally. My work area is definitely off-limits, so I can't quite a bit of the time.

One never knows when trouble will strike, why take chances? I have found a pistol and a style of carry that is comfortable and easy to conceal, so that it is not a hassle to carry when I can.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:20 AM   #34
Yung.gunr

I laugh in the face of danger... Muwhahaha....

To me the the thought of needing it and not having it far outweighs the danger of an AD or the inconvenience of carrying.

After a while it becomes so second nature you completely stop asking yourself if today is going to be a carry day. Although I must admit it does make it easier when you carry a pocket .380 most days.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:52 AM   #35
Pilot

I'm in the carry when legally able camp. I have read accounts were people have been in life threatening situations, like a bank robbery where the perps start killing bank employees for not cooperating, and threatening the customers as well. One woman's account indicated she was kicking herself for leaving her pistol in the car, as her handbag was heavy that day, so she took it out. I fear that situation.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:07 PM   #36
dahermit

No matter how low the crime rate is in my area, as long as there are people who insist that their pit bulls are too passive to attack anyone, I will continue to carry every time I leave the house. Also, I will not bet my life on local crime rates, and I know that the gun I carry in my pocket is not going to increase, by some logic from anti-gun people, the chances becoming a victim of crime. On the other hand, if despite low crime rates, I am attacked, at least if I am carrying, I may have a chance to save myself.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:55 PM   #37
armed_librarian

"Its better to be prepared and hope and pray to God you never need it than not have it when you actually do need it."

My brother, while in the Rangers, went through training that focused on fighting and defending with a knife. This was something one of his officers always said.

Here is something to think about. While you might not put yourself in dangerous situations while you're out and about. What if you were to ever come home to a break in? This happened to my family when I was little.

I won't go into details and to make a long story short, we were all out and my father, who had run into a friend, almost did not come home with us that night (I think there was a game on and he was gonna get a ride home with the friend). Well he didn't go (thank God), and when we were about to walk in, we realized the door was ajar, my dad was able to sneak up on the guy and restrain him via force. It had turned out the man had a gun, but never had a chance to try and use it.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that as hard as you try to avoid dangerous situations, it is just not quite possible.

So after my little ramble. I myself carry everyday. If for some reason I feel like I really don't need it, I leave the big and heavy piece at home and throw my .380 in my front pocket.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:44 PM   #38
PH/CIB

I try to carry 24/7, sleep with firearms close by and 365 days a year. My car insurance is in force 24/7 and 365 days whether the car is in the garage or on the interstate in heavy fast moving lane changing traffic. My house insurance is in force 24/7 and 365 days whether it is a blue bird day or a tornado is spotted nearby.

Why should my concealed firearm be any different?
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old September 9, 2012, 08:29 PM   #39
Straightshooter629

My father's favorite line was "it's better to have it and not need it rather than to need it and not have it", and I follow that philosophy by carrying everyday, everywhere that I legally can, and, by the way, always with two reloads. Since I don't have the ability to predict when a dealy situation may occur, I choose to be prepared when I can.
Old September 9, 2012, 08:33 PM   #40
jimbob86

" 'Tis not the odds, but the stakes that are important."

If you Carry always, and never need it, what is lost?

If you Carry seldom, and need it but once, and do not have it that one time ..... what then?
Old September 9, 2012, 09:04 PM   #41
Dwight55

Food for thought:

A whole bunch of people went unarmed to Luby's for a meal, . . .

Abraham Lincoln did not take his sidearm to the Ford theater, . . .

Bill Hickock only got slack once in his situational awareness, . . .

John Kennedy played the odds in Dallas that said a middle aged, white, president of the United States had never been shot while riding in an open convertible in Dallas.

Personally, . . . I think they were all bad decisions, . . . but you need to decide for yourself, . . . and then ask youself: "How safe did they think that they were?"

May God bless,
Dwight

Now you know why I carry every day, . . .
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 9, 2012, 09:57 PM   #42
Single Six

This is a pretty easy one. I never know if, or when, I may need my sidearm. Ergo, I always have it with me. There's a lot to be said for avoiding "trouble" areas, paying attention to your surroundings, etc...but if it comes down to fighting back, I need the wherewithal to do so. Hence, I'm always armed.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:07 PM   #43
9mm

24/7 unless forbidden by law/state/federal.

I wear my seat belt all the time in the car, never I been in a wreck myself. I do not know when I will be or some clown will hit me, so I wear it. Just like I carry my gun because some basket case could try to rob me or try something around me and I have to fight out of it.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:28 AM   #44
scottd913

when I'm awake i carry. i get out of bed get dressed including my pistol when i go to bed i get undressed and put it on my nite stand. but then i dont have the luxury of living in backwater usa. i also hardly ever leave the house but I'm not looking for a gun in the event of a home invasion occurs.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:02 AM   #45
Cheapshooter

Every day, every where! A minimum of my Elsie Pea in a pocket which is completely unnoticeable.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 10, 2012, 09:49 AM   #46
FJ4ZROX

+1 for whenever I can.

I can't determine when/if the need to defend myself or my family will arise. So best to be armed when I don't need it, rather than be unarmed when I do need it.
Old September 10, 2012, 03:09 PM   #47
JN01

Quote:
When ever you have in your possession and control of a device that if mishandled can cause harm or death, there is a level of inherent risk. Training and conscientious safe gun handling practices and rituals can greatly mitigate that risk but not eliminate it completely. It only takes one brain fart or moment of complacency. Have you ever ran a red light or pulled out in front of another vehicle? Or dropped a cup of coffee in your lap?
Ah, I see. That is true to an extent, but is largely dependent on your carry method. If you put on a holstered weapon, leave it on all day, and don't remove it or otherwise fiddle with it, the risk is close to zero (assuming you were paying attention and safely holstered it to begin with). Stick it in your pocket, without a holster, and with a bunch of other crap, much more risk.

Risk of a ND is probably greater when you are using a range as you are loading/unloading/manipulating the gun numerous times, as opposed to it being immobile, strapped to your side.
Old September 10, 2012, 03:21 PM   #48
Steviewonder1

Every day all day. I did a "Shoot with SWAT" at my membership range earlier this year and the team leader in his opening remarks said "We are all Pro 2A and need more folks doing CCW". FBI stats show more civilians kill bad guys than Law Enforcement. Think about it, you have a greater chance of getting into a gun fight than a Policeman does.
Old September 10, 2012, 03:59 PM   #49
scottycoyote

first rule to winning a gunfight, have a gun with you

as others stated, i pretty much carry whenever its possible and whereever its legal. There really arent any more or less dangerous times, crime/disaster/confrontation could happen to you anywhere anytime...from someone robbing the convenience mart you happen to stop at, to a road rage situation, to a drunk hostile person, etc. I remember the case of some young lady in texas i believe, she was in a restaurant with her parents, a guy comes in and starts shooting people, she had left her gun in her car.....she lost her parents and she was really crushed knowing she might could have changed the outcome.
Old September 10, 2012, 04:30 PM   #50
jasmith85

I almost never carry. I mostly got my carry permit for going for walks and making it much easier to transport a gun. I think too many people carry as is. I'm not saying responsible people that practice with their firearms shouldn't carry, but I do think the course that is taken should be much more strict. When I took my course there was a girl there that not only completely missed her target multiple times but once hit a target a good foot or so to the right of hers and yet she still somehow passed the shooting portion. Thats not even mentioning the fact that the instructor told everyone the answers to the written portion while we were taking the test.
Closed Thread