The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 22, 2009, 02:25 PM   #26
watchale

blind squirrel...lol

That made me laugh. & I really appreciate all the info.
To pete, I understand that a cross bow isn't going to give the power a rifle will I just figured "hits hard" meant hits hard enough. Thank u for the general ballistic data. I don't knowif ^ sounds right but u know what I mean. Thanks fellas.
Old September 22, 2009, 10:02 PM   #27
rantingredneck

In archery terms "hits hard" is hard enough to get a complete pass through on a good sized deer at acceptable ranges.

Last deer my FIL shot last season with his crossbow was a good sized doe. Probably 120lbs live weight. He hit her a little forward of the sweet spot and drove the bolt through both shoulders. He had an entry and exit wound but never found his bolt.

About a week later when we picked her up from the processor the processor says, "Oh by the way, I have something for you" and pulls out the last quarter of the bolt with fletching intact. It was the only thing left after smashing through both shoulders. We didn't find it when field dressing her as it was in the meat of the offside shoulder up under the hide. Front 3/4 or so of the bolt kept on trucking and we never found it.

She ran about 15 yds from where he hit her from a 35 yd shot.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 23, 2009, 12:03 AM   #28
Swampghost

Crossbows! What fun! My Dad once built one using a Mod. T leaf spring. At 100 yds. it would bury a 16" X 1/2" steel bolt into a palm tree. Just shoot # 4 or 5 rebar and it all depended on range and yaw, you really don't want to be the target.
Old September 23, 2009, 07:17 AM   #29
watchale

Nice story redneck.
Swampghost, that sounds like some southern engineering.
Old September 23, 2009, 07:55 AM   #30
jmorris

IIRC you have to have lost use of an arm to use a crossbow in TX. You wouldn't want to try to stay within one law only to break another one.
Old September 23, 2009, 08:00 AM   #31
watchale

U don't have to be handicap. They changed it where any1 can hunt with a crossbow. But I was just wondering about the felon thing. I just went to a hunter safety course & a game warden was there, told us that its legal to hunt with a crossbow now. But, I didn't think about asking about a felon.