The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 11, 2012, 03:33 AM   #1
flgunguy

Russian Kobra red dot sight - can anyone review?

I'm looking at getting one of these for a milled arsenal slr, and side mounting it.

I saw the Kobra brought up on a few other threads and was wondering if anyone has one, and can give some feedback.

Also, where do u order one? The only place I've seen them is here.

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/kobra1.html
Old November 11, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Kobra

http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scope...ide-mount.html
Old November 11, 2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Technosavant

I have an EKP-8-02. I have heard that the previous models with the other type can fail under recoil (the spring gets too compressed to keep the batteries held securely). The coil cell model doesn't. Mine sits on a Saiga 12 and works just fine.

It works well, I like the variety in reticles, but the batteries are a slightly odd size and while findable, they aren't at Walmart. The body of the optic is rather bulky. The battery doesn't last a super long time and the elevation/windage adjustments aren't as easy to use as those on Aimpoints or EOTechs.

IMO, if you can find one at $300ish, it's a good and worthy optic. If the cost is much above that I'd give it a miss. An Aimpoint PRO can be had for about $350; toss in another $100 for the side mount rail and you've got a better optic. Ditto an EOTech at about $400-500. At Kalinka's $450 for the previous model, I'd probably go with one of the others... not that the Kobra is a bad unit, but that you're going to get something that is not all that common and is not as easy to get service if needed.
Old November 11, 2012, 09:13 AM   #4
wogpotter

I've used one for several years on a semi-auto .308 with zero problems except for a poorly-made on/off switch. The switch knob is plastic & there is a small, thin pin, designed to stop over-rotation. The pin wears rapidly but if you replace it with a small roll pin it's good for ever.

Mine is the flat button cell (CR2325)version & I've had no battery-related issues. The batterys are availiable all over the internet & Radio Shack usually has them in stock.
I like the chevron/dot retiucule because I find it easier to "pick up" the style than just a dot. Incidentally if you zero for 100yds with the dot then the tip of the chevron is good for 200yds using a .308 load.

I had no problems with the adjustments, but you do need to understand the process fully before starting & the manual isn't really clear. What you do is set the zero, with the turrets centered. Then slacken off the turrets a hair, re set them to zero & use the finger knobs to make minor changes from there on in. They say they use this dual adjustment system to allow for "wide variation in the side rail fittings" Odd as my version is for a top rail, not a side one. You absolutely needthe "special tool" which comes with the kit, but never use it to unscrew the battery compatment cover. The O-ring seal is very tight & you'll burr up the coilo slot immediately. Use a quarter instead.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 11, 2012, 09:15 AM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
An option I'm considering for my AK

MI Universal Handguard
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MWMI-AKH-BF

Burris Fastfire
http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-f...ire-sight.html

The handguard allows cowitness lower 1/3 with the optic, so in the event of failure the ironsights can still be used. The Trijicon RMR can also be used but that's a $500 optic and I won't have $500 to spend on an optic anytime soon....