The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 26, 1999, 04:48 PM   #1
William N

I have a DWM 1917 marked artillery luger(8" barrel & tangent sight) with all matching numbers that has 1 1/2" long 9s routed into the grips(looks factory to me as they are exactly alike) and the frame looks to have been plated(nickle?) but most is worn off and the barrel/receiver is blued. The pistol belonged to my Great grandfarther and my Dad said that no modifications have ever been done to the pistol since he first saw it in the early 40s. My dad also said he thought that his grandfarther aquired it shortly after WWI. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.....William
Old September 26, 1999, 07:04 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

William:
My records indicate that this is also known as the Artillery Model 1914, the Model 1917, and the Long 08. Development began in 1911 and the weapon was intended to arm artillerymen, airmen and som fortress troops. Production began in Feb 1914 and orders for 144,000 were placed with DWM and Erfurt, though there is no record of exactly how many were produced. The Artillery Model 1908 was a standard Pistole 08 with a 190mm (7.5" bbl) carrying a tangent leaf backsight. The fitting of this sight demanded that a latereal step and to be cut into the barrel ring at the front of the frame, and this modification was applied to all frames made in Erfurt, so that it also appears on Erfurt Pistole 08 production of the period. The sight is graduated to 800 meters. A drum or snail magazine which held 32 rounds was introduced in 1917, though the standard box magazine could still be used. The provision of a flat board type of shoulder stock which could be fitted to the butt converted the weapon to a light carbine. Opinions as to the servicability of the drum magazine vary, but it is certainly a fact that the stancard flat tipped conical 9mm buller to the original Pistole 08 ammunition had a marked tendency to jam, as a result of which the ogival (round nose) bullet became standard for military use.

I cannot find where any were nickel plated, however, I have been told, by a soldier of the German Army of that time, that many officers either purchased their own or had the issued pistol plated.

HJN
Old September 30, 1999, 10:50 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, folks,

I agree with Harley that it is a pretty safe bet that no Luger pistols were issued to the German army with any kind of plating.

Fred Datig's book shows a "red nine" Model 1914 artillery model, and it appears to be factory. There seems to have been little reason for this, as the service Luger was never made in any other caliber, unlike the Mauser "red nine" which distinguished 9mm P. guns from 7.63 and 9mm Mauser pistols.

In any event, the "red nine" artillery Luger is a rare piece. Note that while this one is undoubtedly genuine, there have been reproductions of the Luger "red nine" grips, so buyers should be careful.

Jim