The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old April 29, 2007, 10:16 PM   #1
2afreedom

Anyone still dealing with Cheaper Than Dirt

I bought some mags and ammo a couple of years ago from them and had a good experience. I have been getting their catalogs since and lately their prices are through the roof. I am not talking about ammo which is up everywhere. Even the surplus junk they used to have is 2 or 3 times what it used to cost. They do seem to have a decent selection but for the last year or so I can always find it cheaper somewhere else. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old April 29, 2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Widder

I agree. Their prices are high. Their ammo prices are not really competitive. They certainly are NOT "cheaper than dirt".
Old April 30, 2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Johnc

Once in a while I come up with some good buys there. I find you really need to shop . I go from them to Natchez and Sportsman's Guide also.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:40 AM   #4
69MachOne

Should change their name to Higher than the Sky.
Old May 18, 2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Mak308

Lol. yeah I have one down the street from me and they are expensive and they always send me to Military Gun Supply.
Old May 18, 2007, 10:27 AM   #6
wolverine350

Its hardly possible to get any good deals on line shopping any more with firearms stuff
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old May 19, 2007, 02:03 PM   #7
fairview mick

cheaper than Dirt +++++++

I just got my order of Remington Golden Sabers -20 boxes(.45 and .40). They were by far the least expensive on the web. They've always been close to or the cheapest and very reliable when there is any kind of question.
Mickey
Old May 19, 2007, 09:38 PM   #8
BoneDigger

My issues

My problem with Cheaper Than Dirt is that their shipping charges are rather high on most items, plus since I live in Texas I get charged tax as well as shipping. However, the one time I ordered from them I had no problems.

Todd
Old May 21, 2007, 11:17 AM   #9
MD_Willington

Actually I can get dirt for FREE and crushed rock for just under $6 a TON...

Nope, I don't buy anything from those guys.. they are not cheaper than dirt...
Old May 22, 2007, 10:27 PM   #10
BigGun97B

I've bought a few things from Cheaper Than Dirt, but it's been awhile. I got a shoulder holster from them that's made entirely from that ballistic nylon stuff. Now, it does look a little cheap, but it is almost infinitely adjustable. I really like it. Only cost $18 back a year or so ago. I know a lot of stuff is quite a bit more expensive these days. Gasoline is one of the biggest reasons that prices are going up. Remember that suppliers and shippers have to pass those costs on to the consumer. I do Stained Glass panels for some extra cash and the lady who owns the supply house that I buy my stuff from has been bitchin' for the last year about prices. Solder, way up in the last year. Foil, that's used for the Tiffany style stained glass, it's copper, way up in the last year. All plastics, way up in the past year. She claims it's the gasoline but also back before gas went crazy the war was starting to affect prices on all the basic commodities. At the local WalMart a 5lb container of 80/20 hamburger cost $11.88 for the past year up to two weeks ago. Now it's $14.57. Life sucks when stuff costs too much.
Old May 23, 2007, 05:17 PM   #11
FM12

I've never used them because I felt their shipping was too high.
Old May 26, 2007, 02:10 PM   #12
westernamerican

Been in their store and shopped! NOTHING I saw was "Cheaper Than Dirt"!
Old May 26, 2007, 05:17 PM   #13
XDHANDSTER

Bologna

Crazy shipping fees.

Shipping from two different locations and expecting the customer to pay the price is hideous!?!

That's called bologna!

Old June 2, 2007, 08:43 AM   #14
Wynterbourne

I used to shop at their retail store all the time. I've easily spent a couple of grand there. I quit when they took a magazine out of my box on a new pistol purchase and lied to me about it.

They haven't seen a dime of my money since, all over a $35.00 magazine.

"You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or use any other word you think will work, but I’ve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much the universal language." - Clint Smith

9mm. Because no matter how you try to rationalize it, .45 ACP is still for people trying to compensate for -something-.
Old June 5, 2007, 12:14 AM   #15
tgstoken

SHippig costs are exactly why I buy my ammo from Sportsmans Guide. I just love paying $12.99 shipping for 2,000 rds of 8mm Mauser.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:25 AM   #16
tazmss

Because more and more people are purchasing items there, the management felt the need to increase the prices(the store has been expanded, etc...) - the feeling is that their captive audience will pay the increased prices....I still shop there, but for certain items. Cheap on some items, yes, but not necessarily "Cheaper than Dirt"....
Old July 16, 2007, 03:41 AM   #17
oldbillthundercheif

They have a few deals here and there, but they used to be a lot better. Amongst other things, I ordered five boxes of 124gr 9mm a few weeks ago, but they sent me six boxes of 115gr 9mm from the same manufacturer. They ended up giving me an extra $8 worth of ammo, though, so I can't get too irritated about it.

Their website is very odd. There are multiple listings of the same item with different prices, misleading descriptions, and other strange things, but you can sometimes find a deal or two not listed in the calalog.
Old July 16, 2007, 07:52 AM   #18
casaventana

It seems that everyone on line is charging high prices for shipping. OnPoint in St. Petersburg, FL when questioned about their UPS charge blamed the carrier. I went to the UPS sight and got a quote. UPS quoted approx $7.50 vs OnPoint of almost $12 on a 1.5 lb package. The owner clains I got a better price than he could. Right.
Old July 19, 2007, 09:34 AM   #19
westernamerican

Stopped shopping with them a long time ago! As someone said earlier, they need to change their name to "Higher Than The Sky"!

Old July 22, 2007, 12:06 PM   #20
dogtown tom

casaventana:
Quote:
... I went to the UPS sight and got a quote. UPS quoted approx $7.50 vs OnPoint of almost $12 on a 1.5 lb package. The owner clains I got a better price than he could. Right.
He might be right. I believe there is a lawsuit against UPS by some of their franchisees. Seems UPS sold them a store and then undercuts them on price at the UPS website.
Old August 5, 2007, 02:14 AM   #21
chadpengar

UPS

If the guy has a UPS account the MOST he will pay is what you find on the UPS.com website. Most people negotiate discounts with UPS which come off the standard rate as found on the website. HOWEVER, if you bring it in to a UPS Store or Depot you will pay what is called the counter rate, which is like 35-40% more than what is shown on UPS.com (actually, depending on how you input the data on UPS.com it may show you the counter rate or the standard rate).

Chad
Old August 5, 2007, 02:27 AM   #22
chadpengar

CTD Digital Cammo Holow Fiber 50x80 quilts are cheaper

Most of the stuff they have is kind of cheap stuff if it is cheap otherwise they are often more expensive. But the digital camo quilts 50x80 with the hollow fiber filling are cheaper at CTD than anywhere I have found and shipping off the website is OK too.

Chad
Old August 5, 2007, 08:56 PM   #23
wooderson

No reason for me to order online - shipping+tax, no dice.

In-store, the gun prices are high, the knife selection is lousy, customer service is terrible... the ammo prices border on okay, but most of the time I can Magtech or Sellier & Bellot cheaper up the road at Cabela's.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:47 AM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Just saw this...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=293904

ADMIN / Moderator; this isn't personal, it's Bad Buisness. If it's too inflamatory edit the last paragraph

This morning I was looking through my Bank Statements from the past 2 months (I've been busy), when I noticed a $10.00 charge on 08/02 and one from 07/01 something called VISA-WLI*RESERVATIONREW800-7327031 I called the number to find that Cheaper Than Dirt Had enrolled me into this program with out my knowledge.

This is one of the links I found on this RIP OFF SCAM

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1303811/posts

This Link has this company for 556 cases of this type of unauthorized transactions.

http://badbusinessbureau.com/searchr...&submit=Search

I'm not saying anything bad about Cheaper Than Dirt, personally I won't do buisness with them again, I've ordered from them twice and neither order was correct, wrong colored products, damaged products, returns on products took forever, I even called to ask why my money wasn't refunded to be told the delivery never came, which it was and I had the name of the person who signed for it as well. Now to top off my bad buisness with them, they've tried to rob me blind. To bad for them, Being an "Infantry Weapons Instructor" I'm enraged and will inform the 200-300 students I get a month on my experiances with this company.
Old August 6, 2007, 02:27 PM   #25
hj28rules

I live in Fort Worth, Texas where Cheaper Than Dirt has a store-front and a gun store. Their prices are not that good any more. I don't shop there anymore. Also they have an indifferent and sometimes rude staff.