The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 25, 2014, 12:29 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

S&W model 36

My wife's model 36 started to experience light primer hits. Eliminating the ammunition as a source of the problem, can I assume the hammer spring and/or firing pin needs replacement?

Anyone have a source for these parts?
Old September 25, 2014, 02:09 PM   #2
SmokinTom

I`m thinking those have a main spring tension screw on the front of the grip frame. Take the grips off and have a look.
Old September 25, 2014, 03:04 PM   #3
SaxonPig

My advice on any malfunctioning gun is make sure it's clean. I have seen guns fail to fire from grease and junk built up inside the actions. Then make sure screws are tight.
Old September 25, 2014, 03:35 PM   #4
glenncal1

J frames have a different spring set up than the K or N frames. The Have a coil spring not a leaf spring. I don't know of there is a tension screw on the J frames. You might ask at the smith-wessonforum.com. Really doubt its the firing pin unless the gun has fired thousands of rounds. Has anyone done anything to lighten the trigger?

Many K and N Frames
Old September 25, 2014, 03:59 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Clean it, and oil it. Should solve your problem, presuming your ammo is not the issue.
Old September 25, 2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

The Model 36, like all J frames, has a coil spring, not a leaf spring. There is no tensioning device, no strain screw, a conventional strain screw would not work with a coil spring. Coil springs like this are just about indestructible. I have never heard of one getting weak. I also doubt there is anything wrong with your firing pin, I doubt it has gotten worn down. If the pin isn't broken off, it should be fine.

What about the ammo? Factory or handloads? If handloads, high primers are always a possiblility. High primers rob the firing pin of some of its energy because the firing pin seats them further as it strikes them. Have you checked your primers? They should be just a couple of thousandths sub flush of the case head.

How old is the gun? Did you buy it new? Could it be that there is old oil inside that has hardened over time, making the action sluggish?

Old September 25, 2014, 11:59 PM   #7
DaleA

Quote:
The Model 36, like all J frames, has a coil spring, not a leaf spring. There is no tensioning device, no strain screw, a conventional strain screw would not work with a coil spring.
Talk about your picture being worth a thousand words! Nice illustration.

Now flip it over, take off the side plate and show us how all those little tiny parts come out and go back together again.

But really, thanks for the very good picture.
Old September 26, 2014, 05:38 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I`m thinking those have a main spring tension screw on the front of the grip frame. Take the grips off and have a look."

A model 36 doesn't have a mainspring tension screw.

"My wife's model 36 started to experience light primer hits. Eliminating the ammunition as a source of the problem, can I assume the hammer spring and/or firing pin needs replacement?"

When was the last time it got a THOROUGH, sideplate off cleaning and relubrication?

I've seen more than one completely crudded up revolver give light primer strikes.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 26, 2014, 08:30 AM   #9
BfloBill

Mine was having the same problem and I was blaming the handloads I got from a Co-worker. Then I took the sideplate off and soaked it with CLP breakfree, let it sit for a couple hours, soaked it again, let it sit, then blasted it again. When I finally dried out all the excess lubrication it functioned like a new gun and I never had the issue again.
Yes - I know I should have used a different product and it would have made the cleaning easier (getting the excess off took FOREVER), but I used what I had on hand.
Quick Version of answer: Read Mike Irwin's post
Old September 26, 2014, 04:29 PM   #10
jrothWA

Every other year...

DETAIL IT!

It is not hard and you can get the tool for dealing with the rebound spring.
Old September 26, 2014, 05:45 PM   #11
ammo.crafter

Thanks all.

Yes all "J" frames have coil springs and not leaf, though you can convert to same.

The gun is very clean and has been totally disassembled/reassembled numerous times. I would judge the gun to be approx 45 years old.

I am shooting reloads and doubled checked primer seating whaioch appears proper.

Just ordered a new hammer spring at 8,5 pounds (factory) and will see if that does the trick.

If not, she says she'll be taking my Hi Power
Old September 26, 2014, 06:26 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

My Model 36 is well over 50 years old, has had thousands of rounds through it, has never had a part replaced, and still functions perfectly. I suspect yours might just need a good cleaning.

Jim
Old September 26, 2014, 07:08 PM   #13
Carmady

"If not, she says she'll be taking my Hi Power"

Cherchez la femme.
Old September 26, 2014, 08:46 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

If you're using reloads and the primers are seated correctly . . . any chance you had some small rifle primers get mixed in? They are harder than pistol primers. Just asking . . . :roll eyes:

On another forum, a guy was having trouble with his Colt 32-20 not going off as well . . . first thing he suspected was a weak main spring. My first question was what ammo he was using and if it had rifle primers instead of pistol primers . . . guess what . . . he was using 32-20 loaded for rifle with rifle primers. More than once I've seen and heard of a sleeve or rifle primers getting mixed in with pistol primers when a sales clerk has "consolidated" sleeves to make a brick.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 26, 2014, 11:47 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Yes all "J" frames have coil springs and not leaf, though you can convert to same."

Say what now?

Converting a J frame to a coil spring is possible, but it certainly isn't feasible.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.