The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 18, 1999, 09:26 PM   #1
UZI4U

When was this gun first made? How can I determine when this particular gun was made? I purchased this puppy a couple of days ago and it didn't come with an owners manual. I tried contacting H&K with no luck. They don't have an email address and their 1-800 number isn't working. I mailed them a letter so far no reply. Can anyone tell me how this gun is disassembled. I heard that this gun is almost indistructible. Is that true? How reliable is the VP70? Does anyone out there have a wood stock for this pistol or any extra magazines? If so email me at [email protected].
Old October 19, 1999, 02:09 AM   #2
Jeff OTMG

I believe it came out in the mid to late 70's and was discontinued in 1984. It was still available until around 1987 if memory serves me correctly. I assume this is what you were looking for timeline wise as you did not give a serial number and even if you did I do not have that info. H&K will send you the manual if they have one. I bought a P9S Target in .45 ACP and sent it in for any upgrades and they sent it back with a factory owners manual. The pistol reminded me of a Buck Rogers ray gun. The one I shot had what I believe may be the worst trigger pull on any pistol I have ever used and it was the first mass produced example of a plastic frame, about 10 years before Glock.

Now this is special. If you are in the U.S. and the gun has a shoulder stock slot you may have a VP70M not a VP70Z. When you install the shoulder stock it becomes a full auto machine pistol. Without the stock it fires semiauto only. If you have an unlicensed Class III machine pistol you are risking severe penalties. If it is not a machine pistol and you attach a shoulder stock you have created a short barreled rifle. This is also a Class III firearm and you are subject to the same severe penalties as if it were a machine gun. BE VERY CAREFUL UNTIL YOU FIND OUT WHAT YOU HAVE if you are in the U.S.
Old October 20, 1999, 07:56 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

From W.H.B. Smith's Small Arms of the World:

Remove magazine and pull slide back to insure that pistol is empty. Release slide and pull the retaining catch, located just to the rear of the trigger guard bow, down and pull slide to the rear. [4V50 note: It's appears to be on the left side of the frame and right above the trigger]. Lift the slide off upward and to the rear and guide it forward and off the barrel.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt