The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old April 23, 2005, 11:40 AM   #26
1BadF350

Does this meet your definition of "modded"?
Old April 23, 2005, 11:46 AM   #27
1BadF350

Ok let me know when you go get your 10/22. I will go with you and look around for something for me. BTW there is a gun show at the Dulles Expo Center this weekend I think. I'll probably go once I get the details.
Old April 24, 2005, 01:46 AM   #28
IDriveB5

what no spinners? are those what, 37" tires? very nice truck. ive been trying to talk my dad into modifying his 2500 silverado. im planning to head out to a few local places(galyans, kmart, sports auth in g-burg) and see what kind of prices they have sometime this week, probably friday.
Old April 24, 2005, 02:00 PM   #29
1BadF350

Sorry guy's my internet has been down since 1:30pm yesterday.
Novus-yes the gun show was this weekend. I did not go.
IDriveB5- those are 38" tires. Forget going to Sports Authority in Gaithersburg, they don't have any firearms. Kmart doesn't either I think. Sports Authority in Frederick has a bunch.
Old April 24, 2005, 02:11 PM   #30
novus collectus

Quote:
Novus-yes the gun show was this weekend.
D'oh!

The Sports Authority in Bowie has rifles so I guess it's not statewide. They refuse to sell pistols here in Bowie though and I think all K'marts in the state have stopped selling pistols years ago.
Old April 30, 2005, 01:46 PM   #31
IDriveB5

thanks for all the info guys, i end up buying my 10/22 at Galyan's(now dick's) and my father, stepmother and i went out to On Target this morning. we brought two of his .38s, his .22 ruger Mk1 and my 10/22. it was an absolute blast.

this is me at 50', iron, wolf mt
Old May 6, 2005, 09:44 PM   #32
wayneinFL

"Rockville, Md. Gilberts Indoor Range requires that you shoot their ammo period. Whether it's a rental gun or your own personal firearm."

This sucks. I had one of the local ranges do this to me recently. I was planning to shoot a match over the weekend, needed 400 rounds of 40 S&W, and didn't have time to load any. So I bought 500 rounds of winchester white box at the last minute.

This is a different load than I usually handload for so I needed to adjust my sights. Wednesday night before the match I stopped by this range, because the outdoor range I have a membership to won't let you shoot past 5 p.m. So not only did they leave me out in the cold that day, but I can't practice in there with my handloads in the evenings either. For good.

Lo and behold there's a big sign prohibiting the use of anything but the shop's ammo on the range. So not only did they leave me out in the cold that day, but I can't practice in there with my handloads in the evenings either. For good.

It's a money thing- they want you to buy their ammo- sign spelled that out. I can understand this in a way. But I always thought of an indoor range at a gun shop as a loss leader, kind of like the gas pumps, all the old service stations used to have. Something to get people in the door, train them to shoot, get them shooting, then fulfilling their needs in the gun shop, and making money there. Selling ammo is great, but I think someone who brings handloads into the range is probably the type of guy who shoots a lot and buys a lot firearms and firearm accessories ....

Besides, I had a bad experience with the range reloads at another local range. I wouldn't use them again. I think I posted that on another thread a while back.
Old May 6, 2005, 10:56 PM   #33
fangtastic

Im not a huge fan of gilberts guns myself either.

I went to gilberts to try out some guns, so I rent an AR-15. I shoot it rather fast, to get a feel of it and for some fun. As i walk out of the room, one of the workers comes out and gets on my case about rapidfiring, and that he saw me "rising", though every shot landed on the paper(i counted one mags worth of holes on the paper). He rants about how I wasnt allowed to rapid fire, and if any damage is to the lane he'll charge me for it. What i didnt understand is why they would rent out fully automatic weapons if you cant rapid fire. This one guy was totally rude to me, possibly because im a youngster (20 years old), even though the rest of the staff was pretty kind.

Ammo prices are also way to high, so I joined Izaak walton league. Thier ranges arent the best, but it sure is better than going to gilberts and having your wallet eaten. The range is only open on the weekend, after 1pm i believe, unless you take the range officer class which entitles you to shoot whenever you want. Im also a student at MC, which entitled me for the cheaper 40$ fee/year to join izaak walton league. Izaak has the people youll ever meet, plus a bunch of other stuff like fishing, archery, trap, and whatnot.

On the other hand, does anyone know a cheap FFL transfer dealer? Im trying to buy a rem 700pss .300winmag, but dont really wanna pay the 1000$ that atlantic guns charges for it (can get it for around 700 online). Atlantic guns told me that they cant transfer over a gun they stock, so no luck there. Though the people at atlantic guns are very nice indeed.
Old May 7, 2005, 05:39 PM   #34
molonlabe

Bad service is bad service. There are a lot of places to shoot in Maryland.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=170135

I Don't want you in here period...Patricia Konie NOLA 2005
Old May 9, 2005, 07:52 AM   #35
hntbambi

the one in Springfield, VA is not much better.

I suggest you check out the various IWLA clubs. I have belonged to the Arlington/Fairfax Chapter for 6 years now and before thatI belonged to the Alexandria Chapter. They are much more economical places to shoot. Annual memberships vary by the clubs. There are a couple choices in the PRoM. http://www.iwla.org/chapters/chapter.asp
Old May 9, 2005, 01:28 PM   #36
1BadF350

fangtastic, I've been eyeing that .300 for several weeks now, so don't get any fancy idea's about buying it!! It is a nice gun isn't it. I'm just kidding about buying it. I already have a .300 WinMag.Ruger MArkII stainless composite. It's definitely a mule kick.
Old May 16, 2005, 09:20 PM   #37
earlsimmons

I think that ammunition requirement is bull - I can't find any such regulation in the Code of Montgomery County. If not for the ammo price-gouging, it would be a nice range. I think it's the only indoor range in Md that allows rifle cartridge use.
Old June 25, 2005, 09:34 AM   #38
one shot

Gilbert Indoor Range, Rockville, Great Place to Shoot & Buy guns

I am new to this forum and have read your comments on Gilbert Indoor Range. I am a annual member at the range and find it a great and safe place to shoot in a clean enviroment. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. The ammo prices are fair, I pay $8.95 for a box of 9mm. Sure, I can buy it cheaper at Wal-Mart but I can't shoot there. However, the one day members do get slammed on the pricing of ammo. I asked them about the Montgomery County Regulation about buying the ammo there, and it is not a County Regualtion but a requirement under their Special Exception granted by the County to open the range, it was based on some safety issue.

As a member I can buy any new gun at their cost, I bought a new Glock 19 for $434.00 plus shipping and tax. I was even able to shoot the gun during the waiting period. In addition, I got a extra month added to my membership for buying a gun there. I wouldn't buy a gun any where else

I will place some of these comments in their suggestion box, they generally response in a positive manner in addressing customers concerns.
Old July 7, 2005, 04:34 PM   #39
1BadF350

So this is you're only post? Either you work there or own the place...either way it SUCKS! I steer every shooter I talk to away from your range.
And what BS safety concern has to do with the ammo sales.?
Oh and another thing.....YOUR VENTILATION SYSTEM SUCKS!
Old July 7, 2005, 08:51 PM   #40
41special

Well it's not a Maryland or a Gilbert's thing, I'm convinced it's an east coast thing period.

I've searched all over hell's half acre to find a range where you at least get a little respect and I've only found one.

Blue Ridge Arsenal out in Fairfax.

Shooter's paradise (springfield) - they know so much there's no room for you to know anything

MDSA (Upper Marlboro)- watch the local's don't try to 'cap' you

NRA Range - if you want to wait all day

Clark Brother's - too far away, only their ammo, crappy range.

Try blue ridge, if it's not too far from you guys, their down to earth people.

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal.
Old July 8, 2005, 09:57 AM   #41
johnbt

All I want to know is...is O'Brien's BBQ still on Gude Dr. near Gilbert's?

When I lived in Rockville we'd just go up-county and find a farm to shoot on. It took a little asking around, but it was worth it. Do they still have farms?

John
Old July 8, 2005, 07:17 PM   #42
HKdude223

Hello and good day to all.
I just joined up on the forums and was searching around and came across this thread. I live in Maryland and frequent Gilbert's range often. I have been a member for over 4 years and find this facility quite attractive. I was a member at Isaac Walton for over 10 years and enjoyed shooting there, but find the indoor environment much more appealing at Gilbert's.
I find it hard to believe that so many members have complaints. I admit I don't like the idea of having to buy my ammo their at retail prices, but I think it's a small price to pay for the convenience of having a range literally in my backyard. I do know for a fact that the ammo restriction was a "Special Exception", #S-2184 that had to be meet in order for this range to be approved by the Montgomery County Board of Appeals. I actually looked it up, and I encourage looking it up yourself before assuming that it's a BS policy with the sole purpose of forcing shooters to buy ammo at the range. Keep in mind folks that when it's 95° in the shade or Snowing it's a@@ off outside, Gilbert's range allows us shooters the convenience of a controlled shooting environment. I feel safe & comfortable when I bring my family or friends there to shoot for many reasons. I have seen the staff confront shooters that were not practicing safe shooting, and I for one am grateful that they either addressed the issue at the firing station or in several cases removed the shooter for the purpose of better educating them outside the shooting lanes. I would also like to mention that Gilbert's range has in place the finest fresh air filtration system. I'm confident than when I'm shooting in these lanes that ALL the contaminants from the powder burn along with the lead residue is appropriately drawn down range and collected in there massive filtration system. This is important to me as I have brought my family and friends to shoot, and it's a peace of mind knowing that I'm not breathing toxins while shooting.
I have to admit that over the years there have been some employees that have been less than polite. But I for one have called Mr. Gilbert and addressed my complaint, and was pleasantly surprised to see that employee replaced within a couple weeks. I think the staff he currently has in place, primarily Shane and Brian, are class acts. They have always been on hand when I either needed help or advice.
I think that often times we as end users forget the massive operating cost for a facility like Gilbert's in this over regulated county called Montgomery. It's truly amazing to me that he was even allowed to build it in the first place, and as I understand, is constantly under the gun (figure of speech) of the overwhelming number of "Anti-gun" residents and constituents in this county that are hell bent on closing it down.
I believe it's time we stop thinking just about our pocket books, and think of the incredible job Mr. Gilbert has done providing us shooters with a safe place to shoot. I don't see Atlantic, Wal-Mart, or anybody else building a range, so if it means that I have to spend a couple extra bucks for the safety and convenience of using this multimillion dollar facility, then so be it.
I personally commend, not condemn Mr. Gilbert for his efforts.
Old July 8, 2005, 08:04 PM   #43
IDriveB5

yes, o brien's is still on e gude, havent been there in a while tho. the NRA range is great, you just have to go at a time it isnt busy.

on target is also another nice range, not the best in the world but the staff is friendly, unlike gilberts, everytime i go in the(with the exception of one time) they look at me like they wonder why i am in their store. spend a dollar there? i think not.
Old July 9, 2005, 07:46 AM   #44
1BadF350

So is it a coincidence he joined TFL the same day as One Shot did?
Old July 10, 2005, 10:49 PM   #45
IDriveB5

guess he had to call in for back up gotta love trolls.

went to the NRA range today, the nice thing about that place is you pay for an hour, and if theres no one waiting for a lane, theyll let you shoot until youre exhausted. their ventilation system is also perfect(i think they worked on it during the time they did their renovations)

350- been shooting lately?
Old July 11, 2005, 09:45 AM   #46
DT Guy

"Mr. Gilbert..."

Oooh, I wanted to see if he'd turn around.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old July 11, 2005, 01:38 PM   #47
1BadF350

Idrive, no. I sold my truck memorial day weekend and have been spending alot of time building up my new Tahoe. Dad and I are supposed to take out some groundhogs in the next week or two at his place.
Old July 11, 2005, 10:05 PM   #48
IDriveB5

cool, be sure to post pics up of the tahoe
Old July 12, 2005, 12:35 PM   #49
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

This thread has more than run its course.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Closed Thread