The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 24, 2016, 02:25 PM   #1
win-lose

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40

Hi Folks,
Figured I'd share this... There has been a lot of threads on Mobil 1 automobile oil and grease, but not much on Motorcycle oil. This stuff seems to be a great lubricant, a very good rust protector, a decent cleaner, and not very toxic. Granted I haven't done any extensive testing. But, so far, I like it....

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/product-...iew=20&Page=1"

So how is Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oil for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

First, let's be clear about the overall benefits of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:

• Superior long-term engine protection
• Superior high-temperature stability
• Excellent low-temperature starting
• Outstanding engine performance
• Low volatility/low oil consumption

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1™ motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences between the two Mobil 1 motorcycle oils.

• In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation.
• For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers.
• Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum.
• Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of anti-wear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).

What are the overall advantages of Mobil 1™ motorcycle oils?
In addition to the overall benefits listed above – specifically, high-temperature stability and low volatility/low oil consumption – Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oils also offer superior anti-corrosion performance compared to conventional motor oil, which is important in many parts of the country where bikes may sit in garages for several months of the year. Compared to conventional oils, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils provide superior wear and high-temperature protection, and promote engine cleanliness and lower oil consumption. Once you get beyond these general advantages, you have to consider individual motorcycle oils to understand the benefits of each.

Mobil 1 Racing™ 4T 10W-40 is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multicylinder/multivalve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 motor oil has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage. The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads. In addition, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has a high performance dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MSDS_176556.pdf (119.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by win-lose; January 24, 2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old January 26, 2016, 08:51 AM   #2
win-lose

ok... I may be talking to myself here....

Doing some more "playing", I found that I actually prefer the mobil 1 15w50. I like the thicker viscosity and it seems to leave a visible protective layer on longer than the 4T. So I dug a little deeper and found that the 15w50 has pretty much the same antiwear agents as the 4T. Plus it has additional friction modifiers not found in the 4T, due to wet-clutch requirements. As a side note, it seems that Mobil 1 uses different additives at different viscosities, across the same product line.

I've got a bunch of different oils (gun/motor) and decided to do a father/son project to test how well they prevent rust. Yes, this will be re-inventing the wheel to a large degree, but what the heck, my son is into it and I'm curious. I'll post stuff once it gets underway.
Old January 26, 2016, 07:17 PM   #3
Mill rat

Great idea for a father, son project.
Lots of documentation ( photos ) for comparison.