The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Hardcase

Where are you going, Poly Choke?

We had a great round of sporting clays last weekend (other than my wife's recoil issues, which I think we've ironed out), except for one kind of funny incident about halfway through the 100 round course.

I was really tearing it up with my old Winchester Model 50 with its equally old Poly-Choke when one of my buddies says, "What's that silver spot on your barrel?"

I looked and the "silver spot" was the shiny steel between where the Poly-Choke used to be seated and where it had slid up to. Seems that the set screw holding it onto the barrel had fallen out and I was slowly blasting the darn thing off the end of my shotgun!

Thankfully we caught it before the thing went sailing off into the tall grass. And doubly thankfully, one of the guys had brought a couple of extra guns. So the Winchester is at the gunsmith's shop getting put back together. No harm done.
Old August 31, 2011, 03:31 PM   #2
zippy13

Live and learn. You were very lucky not to have lost more than the screw!
Old August 31, 2011, 05:31 PM   #3
highvel

Both of the Poly-Chokes I have are soldered to the barrel, I didn't know they also used set screws.
Learn something new everyday!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old August 31, 2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Slugo

here's the newest version...

screws right into your new threaded barrel. $99 bucks at Cabela's...

Old August 31, 2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Doc TH

poly-choke

Very interesting! Thanks for the news - didn't know they made a new screw-in version.
Old August 31, 2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Hardcase

What is this "screw in choke" that you speak of?

I'm not gonna say that they didn't exist in the early '50s, but not for my gun!

I also thought that the choke was soldered on, too. Anyway, the gunsmith says that when he's done with it, it'll be good as new. So if it's supposed to be soldered, I guess that's what he'll do.
Old September 1, 2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Gehrhard

The screw-in Poly-Choke has actually been around for a few years... Also kinda cool though of course they were part of the overall barrel length when originally on.
Old September 8, 2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Hardcase

Got it back last night, good as new (or at least good as it was before the great escape attempt)!

The choke is not soldered on. Apparently it is swaged onto the barrel and then a set screw holds the works together. So, a drop of Loktite will hopefully keep everything in one piece.

Tonight is skeet night, Saturday is sporting clays!
Old September 8, 2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Let us know how it shoots. Thanks....
Old September 11, 2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Hardcase

Well, it shot great for the five or six clays, then I noticed that it was doing the same thing as before - slipping down the barrel.

I bit the bullet (so to speak) and put barrel in the vise and pulled the choke off the rest of the way. I found the problem. There's some erosion at the junction of the choke and the barrel. It's not a smooth transition from the barrel to the choke, so some shot must be catching on that rough part and pushing the choke off the barrel.

So, I'm left with a conundrum. I can replace the choke, get a new barrel (if I can find one) or see what a gunsmith can do about threading the barrel. I really like this shotgun, even though it's older than I am.

I've got an email in to Poly Choke and a couple of others to some obsolete parts houses (Numrich says that they're out of stock). And I'm open to suggestions from you guys, too.

EDIT: Todd Martin, the owner of Poly-Choke emailed me back and asked me to send the barrel and choke to him so that they could see if it's repairable. I'm sending it out tomorrow or Wednesday.

Last edited by Hardcase; September 12, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Hardcase

As a member of the royal family of procrastinators (I'm definitely not the king...maybe a duke or an earl), I didn't send the barrel off until the first week of this month.

There was some sort of problem with the sleeve and the entire assembly apparently had never been properly installed on the gun. Anyway, the folks at Poly-Choke put a new assembly on and the turn around time was about 10 days. It only cost about $120, so I've got my blob-ended shooter back in business. We shot a few rounds of skeet last weekend and it certainly out-performed me!
Old November 15, 2011, 02:32 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, I love happy beginnings even more than happy endings....