The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 9, 2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Robk

What is the big deal about "TALO"??

So I have seen many firearms being sold with the TALO description. As far as I understand it, Talo is a distributor of firearms. So they take a gun, put some nice grips on it, change the finsih and viola, an extra $300-$400 dollars retail. Is this just a cosmetics job or do they really enhance the firearm. By such I mean, better reliabity, accuracy, and durability. At the moment I place them along side a commerative that no one asked for or no one cared anout. Am I right in this assumation or not?
Old August 9, 2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

No, you're pretty much correct. Often, the grips themselves are wretched.

Fifteen years ago, Talo did some unique 1911's, but most of their exclusives nowadays aren't different enough to merit the price premium.
Old August 9, 2011, 04:15 PM   #3
johnbt

I don't care what anybody says, I'm sorry I didn't buy this the day I bought my Colt WWI Repro. The Repro was $999 and the Dragon was $1350 I believe. I should have purchased both of them.

http://www.taloinc.com/images/ColtDragon_Big.jpg
Old August 9, 2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Jason_G

Quote:
I don't care what anybody says, I'm sorry I didn't buy this the day I bought my Colt WWI Repro. The Repro was $999 and the Dragon was $1350 I believe. I should have purchased both of them.

http://www.taloinc.com/images/ColtDragon_Big.jpg
Eh, I think you made the right choice.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 9, 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
KyJim

Occasionally, they'll come out with an unusual configuration that may be of interest to those interested in a firearm for shooting, rather than as a wall decoration. The recent Talo CCO Colt is a good example.

The Dragon isn't my style but I'll have to say I like some of the Colts with the super fine blue finish.
Old August 9, 2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Pahoo

They look pretty !!!

Quote:
Is this just a cosmetics job or do they really enhance the firearm.
Yes and Yes as well and another yes, on the enhanced price. Talked to a dealer that had as few Talos and basically asked the same questions you asked. The dealer is very familiar with the guy that's behind the Talo. He pretty much said the same thing and that there were no improvements in practical function. .....

Would add that a friend of mine, wound up with a 10/22 Talo and did not like how it felt, so he put the action on another stock and likes. He's a big guy and this Talo, just did not fit him. Asked me if I wanted to buy the stock and I passed. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 9, 2011, 06:53 PM   #7
EdInk

That is the ugliest 1911 I've ever seen.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:51 PM   #8
mrvco

I'm guessing that the Colt Dragon must look better in person.
Old August 10, 2011, 07:05 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

i'm with ed. that thing is about as classy as a pink flamingo in your yard.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 10, 2011, 07:21 AM   #10
MikeNice81

Jon I'm with you. The Dragon and the Day of The Dead Colts are on my list of fantasy BBQ guns.

Talo does mostly cosmetic stuff. However, there is nothing wrong with that. It use to be common for a person to show pride in their tools. Macines would be made with ornate touches where other means would have been more practical. There is nothing wrong with bringing the same thing to guns.

Last edited by MikeNice81; August 10, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old August 10, 2011, 07:55 AM   #11
johnbt

"pink flamingo"

I like dragons, but I don't like pink flamingoes. If it shot as great as the WWI Repro does it would make a great range gun no matter if they're laughing with me or at me.
Old August 11, 2011, 04:22 PM   #12
only1najeep

I agree with most of you the TALO editions are normally not worth the premium price, however the Boy Scout 10/22 was very nice. If I ever see one for sale locally it will most likely follow me home.
NRA range safety officer
Old August 11, 2011, 07:23 PM   #13
VTRich

Here is a Talo Colt I recently purchased used. I found this one was done with a bit of class. Not too much "bling". I added the grips.

Old August 11, 2011, 08:39 PM   #14
GuitarsAndGuns

VTRich that is a great looking Colt. Very tasteful and classy in my opinion.
Old August 12, 2011, 08:10 AM   #15
whyrob

TALO guns

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ix1009copy.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w26/whyrob/200.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...CCColtJPEG.jpg

These guns are normally ordered from the factory in special configurations, with special factory serial numbers, in limited edtions. TALO has raised over $500,000 for the USA Shooting Team using Ruger guns
Old August 12, 2011, 08:37 AM   #16
whyrob

2004 Article on TALO Dragon

In 2004, We made 100 blue guns & 200 Stainless about a year later. They were done using copper, silver & gold inlays. Special serial numbers.
Wiley wrote them up. He wasn't too sure about a company that would drape a dragon over one of his favorite .45's but he wrote a nice story & the photographs were amazing. This is well before we ever considered working together.

Sure, it doesn't appeal to a lot of folks. It did make 300 people very happy.
You don't often see them coming up for resale & when they do they bring a reasonable premium for a 7 year old Colt.

Heck, we try to provide value & interesting products. If you follow the forums you know how tough it is to please all the people, all the time.
We're enjoying the process.
Old August 12, 2011, 08:42 AM   #17
chadstrickland

Beautiful pistol. Different sure, but pretty nonetheless
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old August 12, 2011, 08:49 AM   #18
D-Ric902

This one was worth it for sure.
But it is the only TALO I have.
Old August 12, 2011, 09:17 AM   #19
mavracer

I wanted a 1911a1 replica that I could shoot this Talo limited edition was ~$100 more than the others. It's fit and finish is outstanding and accuracy is supurb.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 12, 2011, 01:49 PM   #20
buck460XVR

Quote:
So they take a gun, put some nice grips on it, change the finsih and viola, an extra $300-$400 dollars retail.

I just picked up a Talo 3-5-7 686plus. It had the unfluted cylinder and the 5'' barrel I wanted on a 686. The grips were a moot point to me as I changed then immediately to X-frame shock absorbing grips to match my X-frames, 629s and other 686s. The list price is a whole $10 more than a standard 686plus. My dealer gave it to me for the same price.......so in other words, I got a gun with features I wanted, that not everybody has, for no more monies. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Old August 12, 2011, 01:55 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

As a few other posters have said-
Occasionally, they'll have a "Distributor Exclusive" that is a configuration (barrel length, metal finish, etc) the manufacturer doesn't normally produce. When that happens, you buy the Talo version, or continue to wish for the manufacturer to pull their head out...

Generally, I find their 'Exclusives' to be stupid, and over priced. $400 for plastic sights and butt ugly grips; when both are a down-grade from the factory versions? Yea....
Old August 12, 2011, 05:23 PM   #22
KyJim

whyrob --

Welcome to the forum. From your posts, it sounds like you are associated with Talo. I'm a SW and Colt revolver guy but that Ruger looks very sweet.
Old August 13, 2011, 04:42 PM   #23
whyrob

TALO guns

Thank you. I am associated with TALO as the Executive Director for the last 14 years. I helped to make Lew Horton Specials before this.
I'll take responsibility for most of the "stupid, over-priced, downgrades".

I am not offended. Can't please them all.

Much of the email we get at TALO is from folks who are pretty happy with their guns.

We'll keep doing it.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old August 13, 2011, 07:13 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Thank you. I am associated with TALO as the Executive Director for the last 14 years. I helped to make Lew Horton Specials before this.
I'll take responsibility for most of the "stupid, over-priced, downgrades".

I am not offended. Can't please them all.
And that's the perfect attitude to have (as I'm sure, you know very well). If there was a one-size-fits-all solution, we'd all be using the same, boring weapons. It's the variety that makes people love particular pieces.

I just happen to find many of the TALO exclusives to be unappealing. But, they're obviously selling to some one. ...And there IS, occasionally, something interesting.
Old August 13, 2011, 08:35 PM   #25
Jason_G

Post #13 is absolutely sharp. Classy, and not gaudy. I like the Ruger as well. That dragon is awful to me.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America