The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Hunter Customs

45 Colt full wadcutter loads

Anyone here have any info on loads using a 250 gr full wadcutter in the 45 Colt cartridge?

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old December 31, 2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

There are several sources by powder manufacturers as well as reloading books for reloading data. However you need to tell me what powder your planning on using?

At least I think that's what your asking?
Old December 31, 2014, 02:30 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

250 grains is 250 grains. The type or shape of bullet doesn't matter. A WC is most like a cast bullet, so just use 250 grain cast data and seat 'em like you would any WC. Lots of 250 cast data on Hodgdon's site.
Decidedly interesting project, so it is.
Old December 31, 2014, 02:32 PM   #4
.45 Vet

The loaded round is with the 236gr Round Nose Waddcutter shown on the left, for comparison there is a 200gr SWC used mostly in .45ACP loads. I've had good results with Unique powder. You should be ok using data for 255gr lead starting loads.

The waddcutter style does make seeing the holes a lot easier at longer distances...
Old December 31, 2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Hunter Customs

I have several books but I don't believe any of them has any load data for 250gr full wadcutter loads.

I've searched on line and have not came up with anything yet, I'm interested in any load info that's been used with a 250 gr full wadcutter seated almost flush with the top of the case.

The powders I have on hand to use are, HS6, Win231, 2400, AA7, SR4756, SR7625, Universal Clays, 700X, 800X, Tight Group, Longshot, Unique, Herco and IMR4227 both the old and the new.

T.O'heir the 250 gr full wadcutter that I plan on using seats much deeper in the case then the semi-wadcutters, so I believe the load info for one is not compatable with the other.

.45 Vet , thanks for the picture and your info.
The full wad cutter I plan on using is a button nose wadcutter and will be seated much deeper in the case then the one you have in the picture.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old December 31, 2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Bob,

I don't have direct info, but I can give you a ratio from QuickLOAD. In QuickLOAD, I took the Speer 250 grain LSWC that is 0.66" long, and loaded it at the full 1.6" COL and put in enough Bullseye to give me the SAAMI MAP of 14,000 psi. I then assumed your wadcutter is 0.1" shorter, or 0.56" long. I seated that 0.020" over flush with the case mouth (1.286" COL), and found the charge of Bullseye that then reached SAAMI MAP was 20% lower than for the LSWC at 1.6" COL. This is due to the seating being deeper. So my first guess is 20% lower powder charges on the general assumptions the powder is quick.

Reality check: I went to Alliant's site, and their maximum Bullseye charge for the Speer 250 grain LSWC seated to 1.6" COL, same as I used in QuickLOAD, is 7.0 grains. QuickLOAD had given me 7.2 grains right at max and gives me near max 13,300 psi with 7.0 grains, and velocity at that charge weight agrees to within 14 fps with Alliant, so it was surprisingly close in this instance, despite the fact QuickLOAD doesn't always do well with straight wall cartridge cases. That gives me further confidence in the prediction. Unless your bullet lengths give you greater seating depths than I had (0.326" for the LSWC, and 0.540" for the imaginary wadcutter), I think a starting load of 4.9 grains of Bullseye, for about 750 fps from a 5.5" tube, and a maximum of 5.7 grains for about 850 fps is likely to be a ballpark range.

You can get comparable seating depths to the ones I gave using your own bullet length from the following:

Seating Depth = 1.266" + Actual Bullet Length - Actual COL

Check that against the numbers I gave. If it doesn't match, PM me with your actual bullet length and COL and I can rework it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 31, 2014, 04:59 PM   #7
SSA

For light or starting loads with the 250 gr wc in the 45 Colt, data for the S&W Schofield with a 250 gr swc should be close.
Old December 31, 2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Kosh75287

Quote:
250 grains is 250 grains. The type or shape of bullet doesn't matter.
I can see that being the case, if the two projectiles are seated to the same depth in the case. If the wadcutter is seated flush (or nearly so) with the case mouth, then the volume where the powder burns is smaller. All other factors being equal, this translates to higher pressures.

Given the modest velocities normally desired for wadcutters, the elevated pressure is probably not high enough to present a hazard, but it COULD mess with accuracy.

My "go to" load for .45 Colt +P is 18.0/2400/250 RNFP. Length overall is a little under 1.60". My "standard" load is 9.5/Herco/250 RNFP. I don't think I'd be very willing to shoot those same loads with a 250 grain flush-mounted wadcutter. Sometimes, equal-weight projectiles are NOT all created equally.
Old January 1, 2015, 11:22 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

Unclenick, thank you very much for doing what you did with quick load.
The formula you posted should help a lot when I get started loading for the full wadcutter.
The bullet I'm thinking of using will be cast from NOE mold 454 250WC, at this time I don't have the info on actual length of the bullet.

Kosh75287, one of the loads I've worked up for the 45 Colt is a 255 gr SWC on top of 9.5 grs of Herco.
It gives me 931 fps from a 4 3/4 inch barrel revolver and seems to be an accurate load.
It's one of my go to hunting loads.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old January 3, 2015, 01:07 PM   #10
slugoo

I use full wadcuters in 45 colt that are 225 real wadcutters. there's no place to find real numbers for loads that I have found. the loads that I use are
8.0__8.9 4756
7,9__8.8 Longshot
7.0__7.5 7625
these are very accurate loads and punch nice holes for me. maby you can use these numbers by taking a percent difference but I do use them inserted into the last ring.
Old January 3, 2015, 05:34 PM   #11
Hunter Customs

slugoo, Good info, thanks.
Would you by chance have any velocity info on those loads?

Best Regards
Bob Hunter