The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 28, 1999, 03:01 PM   #1
Mikey

Anyone familiar with STI/SV guns,

I just got finished with a new IDPA gun in 40 caliber built on an STI standard
dust cover frame and slide. I have 10 pre-ban hi-cap standard length
(126mm) mags with carry base pads which I bought for dual use, IDPA and
IPSC Limited, but, alas, the gun won't fit in the IDPA box with these mags.

I see in Brownell's where SV makes a "duty" mag, which is advertised at 2
rounds less capacity than the standard, but they don't list a length. I also
see that STI makes a 120mm mag but they say it's for the 3.9 frame only.
With the 126mm mag inserted in the gun there is a 10mm gap between the
base pad and the gun butt so it appears the 120mm with the same pad
would fit but I would like to know for sure before I buy them.

Which mag do IDPA shooters use in their guns? Any help will be appreciated.

Mikey
Old August 29, 1999, 11:35 AM   #2
Ricky T

Mikey, your SVI with whatever magazine you decide to use must fit in the IDPA box with dimensions: 8 3/4" long x 6" wide x 1 5/8" deep. If you know of an IDPA club nearby take your gun and the mags and put it in the box. If you can close the cover on the box with the gun inside then it's legal. If you have a large magwell you may not be able to use the gun unless you take the magwell off or modify it to fit in the box. Your local club may bend the rules a little and let you compete but if you go to a sanction state, area or National matches, your gun must meet the IDPA specs. Regarding your hi-cap mags. , you can only load a maximum of 10 rounds plus one in the chamber.
Old August 29, 1999, 08:43 PM   #3
Mikey

Ricky T,

Thanks for the response. I failed to mention in my initial post that I was already an avid IDPA shooter. I see by your profile you are an engineer from Atlanta. I'm a designer with an engineering firm here in middle Tennessee.

I've been shooting IDPA for three years and helped found the IDPA affiliated Middle Tennessee Shooters Club two years ago. I'm painfully aware of "the box" and the whole reason for this project was to get the mag capacity to 10 rounds (been using a Caspian single stack 8 rounder). I was at the Nationals last year (lucked into a third place in CDP/MM) and our club hosted the Tennessee State Championships last year. I changed to ESP/SS for that one and got lucky again with a win. If you are an IDPA'er you ought to drive a few hours and join us this October. If you make it to the Nationals I'll be one of the SO's but I don't know what stage yet.

Anyway, the gun is 100% IDPA legal except for the mags (no mag well) and I thought the mags would be flush fit since they were listed as the "standard" size. I have been told the 120mm mags will work if they have the "carry" pad installed. Can I get a confirmation?

Mikey
Old August 30, 1999, 08:29 AM   #4
Ricky T

Mikey, glad to know you're an engineer also. I'm an EE doing power and lighting designs for facilities. If I'm in the mid Tenn area , I'll come shoot with you guys. I will be at the Nationals also, along with at least 6 others from the Atlanta area. Mike Benedict a 4 gun Master shoots with us now in Atlanta, he'll be there.
I don't know much about the 210mm mags. (sounds like an IPSC equipment, hee hee). Try it in the box, I'd like to know also if it's legal. I shoot mainly CDP (marksman) .45 ACP Colt Govt. built for street carry. Sometimes I shoot SSP (sharpshooter) with a G19. Hope to see you at the Nationals, I think I'm in squad #11.