The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2014, 12:58 AM   #1
mendozer

fix rust spots

so hunting this year took me into a rainy spot. While out there, like an hour after the rain, i noticed rust spots on my barrel. How did it form so fast?

I know it's surface only, but after coming home from the hunt and cleaning the gun, I can still see some brown discoloration in the metal. does this need to be blued again somehow?
Old November 4, 2014, 04:27 AM   #2
Scorch

It happens fast because the steel was not oiled.

Just keep it oiled and don't worry about it.
Old November 4, 2014, 09:00 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rub it with oil.
Old November 4, 2014, 01:50 PM   #4
mendozer

I did oil it but it didnt improve. Should I soak it for a while? What about 0000 steel wool?
Old November 4, 2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Doyle

0000 steel wool lubricated with any oil. Not too hard and do enough of the barrel to make it look even.
Old November 4, 2014, 03:07 PM   #6
mendozer

Even? Is it gonna remove blueing?
Old November 4, 2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

If its already rusted, 0000 steel wool wont harm it much at all, but the rust needs to come off. I oil and vigorously wipe dry, then apply a paste wax to all the metal on weapons I hunt with. You do it just like waxing your car. It will give a long lasting protection.
Old November 4, 2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
Even? Is it gonna remove blueing?
No but it might change the sheen. Doing over a large area keeps one spot from standing out.
Old November 4, 2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Romulus

Use Flitz and a soft cloth, using your fingers and not a dremel...Flits will remove the rust but not the bluing with virtually no pressure applied. It also leaves the bluing looking gorgeous. I've used both methods, ultra fine steel wool and oil vs. Flitz. The Flitz treatment worked much better, no hairlines that steel wool leaves behind no matter how fine, blue is lustrous, ready for a good oiling.

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old November 4, 2014, 05:54 PM   #10
mendozer

Which flitz product? I see a wax polish paste etc
Old November 5, 2014, 02:02 PM   #11
eveled

I wouldn't use steel wool, knock any heavy rust off with a flattened empty shell, like a chisel. Then oil and rub with a rag. Don't worry about it, that is how old field guns get their charm.
Old November 5, 2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Tipsy Mcstagger

Copper wool.
Old November 6, 2014, 06:51 AM   #13
Ritz

I've had good luck with the 0000 steel wool + gun oil method. Keeping it well oiled is about all you can do if you "like" hunting in the rain.
Old November 7, 2014, 10:03 AM   #14
gunnut69

The stainless steel pads that look very curly work best. Always use these with lubrication, I like automatic transmition oil. Walmart carrys them as cleaning pads.. The stainless seems softer than the blue but removes the rust easily.
Old November 7, 2014, 10:25 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

No steel wool. As an abrasive, it will also remove some of the finish. I'd use a brass scraper and oil. Mind you, anything done will still leave the stain but will arrest the further deterioration via rust.
Old November 8, 2014, 12:02 PM   #16
gwpercle

For light rust spots I have had good results with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover. Apply as directed with a cloth patch, when no more red/brown color rubs off onto the patch, the rust is gone. Touch up the area with a cold blue. This stuff has a very fine polishing compound in it and takes a good bit of rubbing before removing any remaining blue.
I worked over a Model 58 S&W that had a bad case of " freckles " and light surface rust ( went over it three times ) and was just amazed at how good it turned out. The secrete is to go slow, be gentle, work over small areas at a time, keep an eye on when the rust is gone-then stop. After the rust has been removed do not keep rubbing because you will start removing blue.
Whatever you do DON'T use any power tools or polishing equipment on it, they take rust and blue off before you can blink.
Good luck.....Gary
PS The best stuff for protection is something like Birchwood Casey Rust Prevent it was called Sheath but it might be called Barricade now. It has a wax film in it so it doesn't evaporate or remain greasy or oily. Actually a good automotive paste wax does a fine job of protecting, makes guns look good too.

Last edited by gwpercle; November 8, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old November 8, 2014, 03:25 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...will also remove some of the finish..." No it won't. 0000 steel wool and oil has been used to remove light rust on blued steel for eons.
"...and Rust Remover..." Bluing is rust.
Old November 11, 2014, 10:17 PM   #18
Romulus

Mendozer, sorry for the late reply...use Flits Metal Polish...test an inconspicuous area just in case they changed the formulation. I had my brother's 10 gauge in a light rain, I got water drop size specs of rust. Just cream on the paste, wait 30 secs, then wipe off with microfiber or soft cotton. The rust will be gone, bluing totally safe and so pretty it's a shame to have to oil it (see my note above about testing first, I did this about 5 years ago). Best,

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old November 11, 2014, 10:31 PM   #19
mendozer

haven't done it yet so I'll look for this stuff if oil doesn't work
Old November 12, 2014, 10:35 PM   #20
natman

Quote:
"...will also remove some of the finish..." No it won't. 0000 steel wool and oil has been used to remove light rust on blued steel for eons.
"...and Rust Remover..." Bluing is rust.
+1

I used to work in a gun shop and I got to remove the rust from hundreds of consignment guns. 0000 steel wool and light oil will NOT damage bluing if you have the slightest notion what "gentle rubbing" means.

Do NOT use rust remover on bluing. It will remove bluing completely.
Old November 16, 2014, 01:18 PM   #21
mendozer

Finally got around to it today. Took no longer than 5 minutes. About the pressure of squishing a gnat.

Rust spots are gone, some darker blue spots remain, but only a couple on the entire barrel. 0000 and oil worked like a charm.

Thanks everyone!