The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 15, 2010, 10:31 AM   #1
terryL

94 winchester information

I have a winchester model 94 xtr. The receiver is nickel with no engraving and the wood has checkering on the grip and forearm. The blueing is a dark black. I have never been able to find any information on this rifle can someone direct me in the right place to search, or does anyone know anything about this rifle.
Old February 15, 2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Sarge

The 94 is perhaps my favorite rifle but I am far from an expert on the various and sundry models they produced over the years. I don't recall nickle-plated receivers as being an option on standard XTR's. If it's a special run or commemorative, there should be identifying marks.

If you have the ability to post a photo of that 94, someone here might be able to help you.
Old February 16, 2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Scorch

The XTR rifles had high-gloss, checkered wood, and a high-gloss bluing. If your XTR has a silver-colored receiver, it is likely that someone stripped the receiver, which is made of siliceous stainless steel and cannot be blued.