The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 7, 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
thomaswaynem

What kind of Romanian AK did I buy? Help!

So yesterday I made a trade with a guy for a Romanian AK. At the time neither of us really knew much about it, but I assumed it was just one of the typical Wasr's of some variation. However after doing research and looking online I honestly am not sure what it is.

*It has all matching numbers from what I can tell.
*It has the stamped dimples on the receiver. Which I keep reading that no Wasr's have.
*It has no other marking other than the triangle with an arrow, 1971, and the serial number. There is nothing other than that.
*It has a chrome lined barrel.
*The original furniture has a wider front grip which I have read several times is a giveaway on a Sar-1

All of this would leave me to believe it is a Sar-1, however it also has a threaded barrel which I keep reading is not part of those guns. Is it possible it is a Sar-1 and one of the previous owners threaded the barrel?

I'm very happy with the gun either way, but would just like to know for sure if I ever decided to move it in the future. Any and all help is appreciated. I will add pictures as well. If it is a SAR-1, what is the value these days?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg serial marking.jpg (104.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg original furntirue.jpg (166.6 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by thomaswaynem; October 7, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 7, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
thomaswaynem

More pictures. It also came with this pouch, extra furniture, and oil can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrell.jpg (159.3 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by thomaswaynem; October 7, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old October 7, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

That is a wasr. Look at the bottom of the receiver for your makers mark and serial number.
Old October 7, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4
thomaswaynem

There is no other marking other than the serial number and triangle with arrow. Absolutely none. I've checked under the receiver, on the sides, can't find a thing. It doesn't even have the caliber anywhere on it.

Last edited by thomaswaynem; October 7, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old October 7, 2013, 03:05 PM   #5
DubC-Hicks

I would say its a WASR. Cugir/Century probably got a batch of receivers with the dimples. They use whatever they can. It also has the WASR-standard mismatched handguards. The upper one doesn't match the lower one because it is made in the USA for compliance. It's the same as my WASR. I've never seen any other companies do it like that.
Old October 7, 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
thomaswaynem

That was my original thought and expectation when I went to buy it, however with absolutely 0 stamping on it I felt that was a bit odd. I found this old thread and this guy's gun seems to be near identical in description to mine, although the picture links don't work anymore.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463950

Like I said the Trunnion and dust cover are matching numbers. Keep the replies coming!

Last edited by thomaswaynem; October 7, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old October 7, 2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

Here's a site that pretty well covers the Romanian AK rifles. The AK Models section shows all of them and describes the features:

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/whyromanian.shtml
Old October 7, 2013, 06:42 PM   #8
thomaswaynem

I checked out the site and emailed the guy. Like I said I don't care either way because I am happy with the gun. I'd just like to see if I'm right and if it is a SAR-1
Old October 9, 2013, 08:39 AM   #9
AK103K

I have both a SAR1 and an early WASR-10. Other than the "dimples", converted mag well, and markings, the guns are the same.

Both were marked with an electric pencil. The SAR I assumed was done by Katherine Hepburn in her latter years, as its really bad. The WASR looks like it was machine done, and a much better job.

On the right side of both guns ....."Made by CA ROMARM SA/CUGIR...... IN ROMINIA.......IMPORTED CAI GEORGIA, VT"

On the left side, front bottom, just ahead of the mag well, they are maked either SAR-1 or WASR-10 ..... caliber 7.62x39

Serial number on the SAR is S1-xxxxx-2001, the WASR is 1-xxxxx-2002.

Both my SAR and WASR came with furniture like the set you show removed (one dark, one light) .

As far as the threaded barrel, my SAR has no threads or means for attachments, my WASR has a welded on muzzle nut.

Awhile back, over on the old AK47.net, they were passing around a threading tool for threading the barrels. There was a long list, and it was always out somewhere. A number of people posted their results, so its really probably not that uncommon to come across one that has been done.
Old October 9, 2013, 01:54 PM   #10
thomaswaynem

Thank you for reply. One thing I still can't figure out is why it literally has no markings whatsoever aside from the serial number. It has the triangle with the arrow, 1971, and the serial number. No other etchings, no century arms, nothing but 1971 and serial number. It doesn't even have the caliber marked anywhere. Not on the left side, right side, or underneath. What would explain that?
Old October 9, 2013, 02:06 PM   #11
AK103K

Its starting to sound like its a "kit" gun someone assembled.

If it were a SAR or WASR, and was imported, it would have to have the importers marks on it (ie. the CAI Georgia, VT or similar markings).

How does it shoot? Thats usually a clue.
Old October 9, 2013, 02:16 PM   #12
thomaswaynem

It shot fine. Not a tack driver by any means but plenty good for me. And every number I have checked has been matching. What are the odds a kit would be matching? Honest question please forgive my ignorance.
Old October 9, 2013, 02:32 PM   #13
AK103K

If they just whacked the receiver, and kept the rest of the parts together, then the numbers would match.
Old October 9, 2013, 04:46 PM   #14
thomaswaynem

Hmm not sure if that is bad or good. Seems like a well built rifle and shoots well. Thanks for the info!
Old October 9, 2013, 05:33 PM   #15
AK103K

If it is a kit and was done properly, its probably fine. From your pics, fit and finish looks pretty good.

Thats why I asked how it shot. 3-4" 100 yards groups with ammo it likes is the norm for a decent AK.