The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 13, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
pghrich

Tried out pyrodex P today

Hello, Gander was out of goex 3f so out of desperation i bought a pound of pyrodex P, and to my surprise it shot just as accurate as goex, i was using my 44cal. 1851 civilian with 25g volume powder, cornmeal, and a .454 ball, also after just one pass with a dab of bore butter the barrel was like new,[i clean after every cylinder] and my hands were not as dirty, after this pound is gone i will buy another and try it out in my remmies, pghrich
Old September 13, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2
smokepole14

I've noticed that pyrodex P isn't as messy or should I say bp gets messier faster. As far as cleaning to me there both easy to clean. Goex does make a little more smoke tho. As long as I got one or the other I'm happy.
Old September 13, 2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Roshi

Pyrodex Rocks!

I've used Pyrodex exclusively for the last 20 years in rifles and pistols, even in the priming pan of a flintlock. Has always been reliable and accurate. I prefer it because it is safer to store than black powder and more available locally.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:14 PM   #4
pghrich

I live in pa. flintlock only season, i have never even imagined of using pyrodex for priming, come to think of it the flame from the flint/frizzen 'is' hot enough, i had trouble using pyro as my main charge [to many hang fires] but in the pan now that sounds ok, pghrich
Old September 13, 2012, 10:22 PM   #5
mykeal

Hawg must be grinning from ear to ear.
Old September 14, 2012, 05:27 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg must be grinning from ear to ear.
I'd druther have black but Pyro is good.....Real good.
Old September 14, 2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

PG

I lived the first eighteen years of my life in southeastern PA and never once hunted. But My Uncle and cousin were avid hunters and trappers.

Is Primitive weapons season still the same as dough season?

Used to be that dough season was some number of days tacked onto the beginning of the deer season. It was only during dough season that primitive weapons could be used. And they had to be flintlocks.

Still the same way?
Old September 14, 2012, 10:36 AM   #8
pghrich

Hello, actually things have changed a lot, there is a modern muzzleloader season in early october doe only, then after buck season primitive season starts, as usual after buck season you are lucky to see a deer , buck or doe is permitted as long as you have the proper doe tag, pghrich
Old September 14, 2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

Thanks, PG

Do I recall correctly that you are from western PA?
Old September 16, 2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Shotput79

Pyrodex has worked good for me for the last 30 yrds. It's a lot easyer to get The real bp dried up here about two, three yrs ago and it cost to much to order the real stuff unless you have some other fellas to go in with you. Heck I keep six lbs of Pyro on hand all the time. Each month I buy two lbs and open the oldest bottle first and it works out fine. Only thing I ever use FFF in is the .36 cal pistols. The FF powder works fine in the .44 cal pistols.
Old September 16, 2012, 05:23 PM   #11
pghrich

Actually Pittsburgh
Old September 16, 2012, 07:07 PM   #12
Roshi

Pyrodex in pan

I'm thinking that using Pyrodex in the pan of my "flinchlock" probably worked because I was living in Nevada and the climate is so dry there.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:11 PM   #13
dickydalton

I've used Pyrodex for over 30 years and just started using Goex last winter. Now I have some Swiss 3F to learn to use right. I will say 2F Goex cruds my T/C 50 bad in just two shots and Pyrodex RS wasn't that bad.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:09 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pyrodex is cleaner, but I prefer the smell of rotten eggs over dirty socks. that's just me.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:37 PM   #15
dickydalton

The 3F in all my cap n balls didn't seem bad. And the 2F in my 12 gage wasn't bad, but I could hardly get a prb down the pipe on my Hawkin after 2 shots with 2F 80 grains. My next try is 80 grains of Swiss 3F and I'll see how that goes.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:52 PM   #16
YARDDOG(1)

Pyrodex Been in my box a long time 20+ years. I like RS in my long guns & P in my revolvers
Y/D
Old September 17, 2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Shotput79

Now what ever happen to plain old spit to swab them rifle barrels between shot's. I think spit on a patch works better than anything you can buy to swab a bp barrel with.
Old September 19, 2012, 12:46 AM   #18
Chowmif16

Pyrodex Shmyrodex!

Okay, I just can't resist....
I tried Pyrodex when I arrived in a new town and couldn't find BP. The first time this happened was in 1994 and I was shooting ML Skeet with my double barrel 12 bore. After missing every target, an old hand at the club asked me what I was using, because it didn't sound right. He gave me some 2F BP and I started hitting targets. It was only then that I realized what a delay Pyrodex was giving me.
Since then, I have paid attention and can now hear the lag in igniting Pyrodex in my shotgun and cap'n ball revolvers. I will never go back to Pyro.
Call me a snob, or tell me that I didn't give it enough compression, or that I didn't use Magnum primers or whatever you like, but my rather thick-headed mind is made up: never again.
I also can't stand the fact that it is historically inaccurate and just panders to those who want to shoot without the realism/effort required to do it right.
Rant complete,
with all due regards,
Old September 19, 2012, 04:57 AM   #19
pghrich

Of course in my flintlock i use nothing but 4f goex in the pan and 3f goex down the tube, but in my colt style cap and ball revolvers it going to be nothing but pyrodex p from now on, going to try it in my remmies today, pghrich
Old September 19, 2012, 05:30 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
I also can't stand the fact that it is historically inaccurate and just panders to those who want to shoot without the realism/effort required to do it right.
With me its not about effort. Its about affordability. I can buy a pound or two of Pyro locally. I cant afford to buy five pounds of black at a time.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:46 AM   #21
Sure Shot Mc Gee

For an investment under a $100.00 you fellows should consider making your own B/P if your State allows for it.
Old September 19, 2012, 12:31 PM   #22
pghrich

Pyrodex 'P' works in the remmie real good

Hello, well i tried pyrodex out today in the 1858 steel frame remmie, [already use it on my 1851brass 44, 1851 civilian 44]. I used 30 grains volume cornmeal and a .454 ball, every bit as accurate as goex 3f, one more gun to try [1858 brass bison] and then i will use nothing but pyrodex in all my cap and ball revolvers. pghrich
Old September 19, 2012, 10:50 PM   #23
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Before all you Pyrodex and substitute users start slapping each other on the back. You might want to read this link I'm posting of interest for everyone. As mykeal once threaded me not to long ago.
Quote:
If you stick around long enough you just may learn something!!
" Yup!!"

http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_babylon.htm

P.Script: How you doing down there Hawg? Get'in around a little better these days Sir? (I hope so.)

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; September 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:13 AM   #24
mykeal

That's one of the better glimpses into Mr. Wakeman's confused version of reality. He says it best himself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Wakeman
It has all the elements of good drama: death, deception, and perhaps a touch of greed.
I certainly can't improve on that.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:22 AM   #25
Hawg

Yeah, I'm a lot better but I still have a long way to go to be right. Thanks for asking.