The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 24, 2006, 11:27 AM   #1
LH2

Glock 26/27 - anybody tried both?

Has anybody fired both baby Glocks in 9mm & .40 S&W? I'd like a to hear how these two compare. I guess the only difference should be recoil, and that the 26 carries 10+1 instead of 9+1.

The pistol would see IWB carry. Side-by-side comparison with the XD Sub shows the Glock's shorter height should hide a bit better.

Having been mostly a revolver guy, I've never fired a Glock. However I was lucky enough to meet a couple guys with several Glocks that I'll try at the range this weekend including a G27 & G30 .45.

Just need to make sure I don't hate shooting a Glock first, and then whether the .40 is too much (recoil-wise) for me to want to practice.

For sake of comparison, I enjoy shooting .357's out of my 3" GP100. However I don't consider .38+P out of my S&W Airweight to be much fun to practice with (quick accurate follow-ups are hard) but I know it's a tool, not a range gun.

I guess if the G27 is too snappy, but I like it otherwise, then the G26 makes perfect sense.
Old February 24, 2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Striker

LH2,

I lent my (former) G26 to a friend's wife to take a course at TDI in Ohio. She wouldn't give it back!

I replaced it with a G27. Gotta say to me the recoil of the G27 is an order of magnitude greater then the 26. Not uncontrollable by any means, but definitely more snappy. I carry a G19, instead of the G27, for that reason.

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."
Old February 24, 2006, 01:07 PM   #3
JMC

Ihave fired both and have had a G27 since they hit the market.

I prefer the .40 S&W but if your restriced to the 9mmx19 or find the recoil of the G27 a bit too much, which some do, then the G26 is the way to go.
Old February 24, 2006, 07:45 PM   #4
BIG TEXAS

Been carrying the 27 as a backup since they came out. Suprisingly accurate and Glock reliable. Many rounds through it and never a hitch. Yes, a little more recoil than the 26, but there is a reason for that. 40 vs 9mm. Which ever one you'll practice with the most is the one to go with.
Old February 24, 2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Mosin44az

I have owned a Glock 26 and fired a Glock 27 a number of times. The 27 will recoil more, especially with defense loads. I would try it out first with some representative ammo you might carry.

Lots of people add the Pearce Grip extenders rather than putting their little finger underneath. I found the extenders caused my little finger to pull down and back on the mag when firing, eventually leading to wear on the mag's catch and causing magazine pop-outs while firing. I switched back to the flat baseplate with no further problems and not much difference, if any, in felt recoil.
Old February 24, 2006, 09:01 PM   #6
denfoote

I've fired both and I have two Glock 26s.

I found the the recoil of the 40 was just a bit snappy for me out of that small of a gun, which is somewhat odd because I have no problem with full house .357mag loads out of my snub!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old February 25, 2006, 11:42 PM   #7
LH2

Tried G23 & G30

Hit the range today and spent some time with a G23, not the G27 I thought I was going to try. Also fired a G30 double stack .45.

The G23 is a little bigger gun than the G27 Subcompact so of course it's more forgiving. I fired about 60 rounds of mostly 180gr American Eagle FMJ with some lighter ball ammo as well (165gr I think). Anyway, the G23 wasn't nasty to shoot at all like I'd imagined. It definitely was not an intimidating gun to shoot. I think it was just about right. They say shoot the largest caliber you can control for SD, and I think .40 may be a good compromise.

The G30 in .45 seemed softer-shooting than the .40 to be honest, using Rem UMC 230gr ball. I think the huge grip of the G30 was less than ideal for me. The G23/G26/G27 grip fits me better. Although I could consider the single stack G36 .45, which is supposed to be a kicker.

Final note - many folks on these gun boards complain of the odd Glock grip angle. I guess if you're used to other pistols it may seem weird, but I've been mainly a revolver guy and the Glock grip angle wasn't strange at all, seemed to point just fine.
Old February 25, 2006, 11:49 PM   #8
BUCKMARK

You either like the Glock grip angle or hate it. If you like it...welcome aboard!

I like the G26 better than the G27 or G33 simply due to recoil.

I have a G30 and it's a fine weapon. A little thick, but fills my hands nice and shoots like a dream. Great for winter carry under a jacket or heavy coat.

The G19/23/32 are about the same size as the G30 only thin along the grip frame. The G36 is also a good gun.

If I could only have one Glock for carry it would be the G26.

Thank God I can own many!

Let's Roll!
Old February 25, 2006, 11:57 PM   #9
Mosin44az

LH2, all I can say is, since you appear to be thinking of carrying it for defense, try with defense ammo before making a final decision in favor of .40.

With range-type ammo, even 10mm seems reasonable in recoil.
Old February 25, 2006, 11:59 PM   #10
drifts1

I would try both then pick the one I liked and shot best. I personally have the G19, I dont think i'll ever get the smaller subcompact models but if I did i would go with the G26 because my magazines would be intechangeable.
Old February 26, 2006, 12:07 AM   #11
Doug S

I've owned both, and liked both. That said, I ended up selling the G27 and buying a second G26. The primary reason being that although the 27 was reliable with regular mags, it was not quite as reliable with extended "full capacity" mags. When I say it was not as reliable, I mean that occasionally would have a round in one of my 15 round mags fail to go all the way into battery. This simply required that I pull back on the slide a second time. My 26 is totally reliable with both 17 and 33 round mags. The 27 has a bit more recoil, but it wasn't bad. Aside from the recoil, the pistols handle the same. Also, I'm not quite as comfortable with the 40 S&W in the Glock. My 27 bulged the 40 cases at the 6 o'clock position. Not badly, but enough to notice.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old February 26, 2006, 12:32 AM   #12
LH2

Quote:
LH2, all I can say is, since you appear to be thinking of carrying it for defense, try with defense ammo before making a final decision in favor of .40.

With range-type ammo, even 10mm seems reasonable in recoil.
Point taken. I think true defense ammo in the smaller G27 would be pretty snappy.

When I think about the lower price of 9mm ammo (means more practice) and the hot 9mm defense loads available, then factor in what Doug S mentioned above about his .40 bulging cases, I come back to leaning in the direction of the G26 or G19.

After looking at them up close, I'm not sure the 26 is really that much easier to conceal than a 19. And the pinky rest and extra capacity of the 19 is nice.

What do you guys think?
Old February 26, 2006, 12:46 AM   #13
Mosin44az

Either one is an excellent pistol. You should just try them on with the type of holster you are contemplating. I am sure many people carry the G19 concealed. They are the same thickness; the shorter slide of the G26 might help if you carry IWB toward the front; the shorter grip is also less likely to print. However, it is my experience that even small differences in dimensions affect how you can wear them.

I have found the G19 and G26 to be about the same in controllability and handling recoil, even with the shorter grip on the G26. Lately I have kind of liked shorter grips where the little finger is tucked under; the gun kind of rolls on recoil rather than slamming straight back. This definitely seems to be the case with the boot grips on my .357mag, because when I tuck my little finger under my middle finger is moved away from the back of the trigger guard. Probably not quite the same effect with a G26, but I just don't think the shorter grip hurts controllability much on the 9mm. .40 you might find to be a different matter.
Old February 26, 2006, 01:30 AM   #14
Pointer

My daughter has rheumatoid arthritis...
She has usurped my Glock 27 and loves it... She has to have someone "jack" the slide for the first round... but after that she is an exceptional shooter. The trigger is easy for her to operate with her arthritis and the full pull DOAs are much too difficult for her hands.

She has tried her half-sister's Glock 26 and she feels that the 9mm has a sharper recoil while the .40 produces a stronger push... she prefers the 27. Her petite half-sister has very small hands with very short fingers and she finds it easier to maintain a good grip on the 9mm.

They both very much like their Glocks and my son and daughter-in-law are excited to get a 27 as well.

I would get another one, but I have been carrying the same Bulldog .44 or 1911 .45 for almost four decades and I'm very stuck in my ways.

30-06 FOREVER
Old February 26, 2006, 02:10 AM   #15
Rainbow Six

I've owned a G26 (still have one) a G27, and a G33. I love them all. No difference in accuracy. The only differences are what you listed... capacity and reciol. I've never had an issue with the recoil of the 27 (or the 33 for that matter). For recoil sensitive shooters though, the 26 would be more enjoyable to shoot. I usually carry 124gr +p in my 26, so the recoil I get is probably near on par with a .40 or .357SIG anyway...

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old February 26, 2006, 10:21 AM   #16
WESHOOT2

here we go.....

IMNSLE the M26 is more reliable more often for more shooters.
I recommend Glock M26.

Terminally, the 40 S&W (using someone's good 135g JHP ammo ) is perhaps slightly more effective in the real world.

I almost never wear my 40-chambered gun, because I can swap its top to 9x19, or even better, the 41 AE. My 'always' is a 22, its back-up is a 22, and I have a love affair with oneamy 45s and oneamy 9s.
Old February 26, 2006, 02:01 PM   #17
kymasabe

I've shot both and don't like .40 cal in a sub-compact. Personally, I don't even like shooting the Glock 26 without the Pearce grip extension. I can do without it, I'm just much more accurate with it on and makes for a more pleasant range experience when you're running a couple hundred rounds downrange.

I DO like .40 cal in the larger H&K USP's and in guns like the Glock 35 (I think it's 35...the IPSC sized gun).
Old February 26, 2006, 02:08 PM   #18
stephen426

I borrowed my cousin's G27 when I decided I wanted to get a baby Glock. Although I like the power of the .40 S&W, I found it a little too snappy for my taste in such a small package. I ended up getting the G26 instead and have been very happy with my decision for the past 5 years. I shot a friend's G27 not too long ago and I am still glad I got the G26 instead of the G27. I believe in good shot placement and I can get follow up shots off a lot quicker and more accurately than with the G27. I guess if you hit everything you shoot at with one shot, then it is not an issue. I guess I'm just not that good yet!
Old February 26, 2006, 02:49 PM   #19
dairycreek

Used to own both the G26 & G27. Carried each for awhile. Both functioned quite well. G27 more recoil. My choice, hands down the G26!

GOOD SHOOTING
Old March 21, 2006, 09:16 PM   #20
osuflipster

G26 No contest

Looks like I'm a little late getting to this thread, but since I just bought G26, I'll throw my two cents in. Decided about a month ago I wanted sub compact for IWB or pocket carry. Came down to three choices XD 3inch 9mm G26 G27. After shooting the G27 it was down too two, the recoil with 165Gr GD was not unmanageable, but was annoying there is no reason to deal with that much recoil in a high pressure situation. I think ten shots of 124Gr GD 9mm will get the job done, and follow up is much quicker. Between the XD and G26 there wasn't much difference, got a great deal on the Glock. Have since added IWB and pocket holster, maybe next the ankle glove.
Old March 21, 2006, 09:46 PM   #21
glockfan1963

glock owner

I own glocks g19 9mm g26 9mm g36 45 and a sig sp2340 40 cal out of them all the 19 and 45 are my favorites to shoot the 45 is less snapy then my sig 40 i dont like the 40 it tends to sting my triger finger so it sits home my glock 36 45acp is a tiger but very easy to control with no sting and dead on accurate all my glocks are very accurate wright from the box no adjustments needed
Old March 21, 2006, 09:56 PM   #22
Rivers

With the G27, you don't have the luxury of sticking a 33-rd. factory Glock mag in for long sessions at the range.

I carry a G26; fired a friend's G27. Don't like the G27. Don't like the .40.

I don't feel undergunned with 11-34 rounds of 9mm.
Old March 21, 2006, 10:04 PM   #23
LH2

I've pretty much decided on a G26 or maybe a G19 9mm.

I think the G26 is a bit easier to conceal with the warm weather climate we have here much of the year.
Old March 21, 2006, 10:38 PM   #24
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I had a G-27 for 'bout three years, and actually I could shoot tighter
groups with this small .40 caliber, than I could with a G-23 or a SIG
P229~! Go figure
Old March 22, 2006, 03:11 AM   #25
gmeister

I owned and liked a G27 until a bad case of "tennis elbow" (caused by something other than shooting) made me think that a G26 would be a little less aggravating to my condition. The G26 did cause less pain but after my arm healed, I didn't notice a lot of difference. When it was time to sell one of them, I kept the G27 because of its superior ballistics.