The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 9, 2015, 11:49 AM   #1
nodule

NJ compliant 15 round range 9mm pistols

Hi,

What are all the 9mm pistols that come factory standard with 15 round magazines that are considered excellent for the range?

I am in NJ, so I will NEVER be carrying, its strictly for range fun so I would
perfer a 9mm with 15 round magazine.
Old October 9, 2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Oysterboy

What's your budget? Lots of 9mm with 15+ rounds.
Old October 9, 2015, 12:13 PM   #3
Whirlwind06

Beretta 92 and the PX4 compact and Glock 19 to name 3. There are tons, to many to list.

Last edited by Whirlwind06; October 9, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old October 9, 2015, 01:03 PM   #4
carguychris

"All" covers a HUGE amount of ground.

Can you narrow down your selection criteria somewhat? DA/SA vs. striker fired? Plastic vs. metal? New vs. used? Price range?
Old October 9, 2015, 01:37 PM   #5
DA/SA Fan

Better to just get out of New Jersey! I did and I am soooooooooo glad I did. No worrying about transporting a gun to the range. No magazine restrictions. I even get hollow point ammo DELIVERED!
Old October 9, 2015, 01:43 PM   #6
ammo.crafter

15+

DA/SA is absolutely correct. MOVE!

My wife and I have our NJ house on the market and cannot wait to escape as our children have.
Old October 9, 2015, 01:50 PM   #7
nodule

ha

I just love how you guys make it sound soooo easy to just pack up and leave NJ. as if my world revolves around firearms. I have a family, a great secure well
paying job and family and friends. When I retire in 15 years, the plan is to move
out of NJ but that certainly is NOT a possibility now, so come on guys, get serious!

carguychris,

You are right, I was not very specific, this may narrow it down a bit.....

Striker Fired, polymer, brand new, $750.00 max, range gun ONLY.

Last edited by nodule; October 9, 2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old October 9, 2015, 02:05 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

What have you shot that you liked?

If you haven't shot many, you might want to check around with friends to see if they'll let you try some of their guns, or use rental guns at a range, to find out what works for you.

In can find some wonderful bargains in the $350 - $750 range, particularly if you don't buy new..

Glock, SIG, CZ, Ruger, H&K, FNH, Steyr, and others make quality firearms. Some of them can be very reasonably priced, NEW!

I haven't tried one yet, but the new SIG P-320 is interesting, and the H&K VP9 is getting rave reviews. I picked up a used Ruger SR9c (and already had an SR9) that are impressive and relatively inexpensive guns. I also picked up a used CZ P-07 -- good size, high capacity, good trigger!

Avoid the less expensive pocket guns and single-stack, polymer-framed 9mm guns if you're not going to carry. There are some good values there, but the cost savings doesn't make a gun that is often unpleasant to shoot fun to play with at the range.

Don't feel compelled to buy new. Most brand-name guns are durable, and if you buy a used one from a local gun shop, you may even be able to take it back if things don't work as they should.
Old October 9, 2015, 02:15 PM   #9
nodule

ok

Thanks,

So far from my research, the only 3 striker fired polymer 9mm pistols that ship with factory 15 round magazines are the HK VP9, Walther PPQ and Sig P320.
Old October 9, 2015, 02:18 PM   #10
AK103K

Quote:
I just love how you guys make it sound soooo easy to just pack up and leave NJ.
Its not as hard as you might think. We didnt leave NJ, but we did move from right across the river, to central PA about ten years ago, and it wasnt really that dramatic, or traumatic. You just have to want to do it, and then do it.

As close as you are to PA, if your job is close to where you live, you could easily commute. Upper Bucks county is just across the river, and a beautiful area, and PA is a very gun friendly place. Got a little to crowded over the years for us, but thats why we moved.

As a side note to the 15 round thing...wasnt NJ talking about reducing the allowable mag limit to 10 rounds just recently? Did that not pass?
Old October 9, 2015, 02:22 PM   #11
nodule

no

AK103,

Yes, I LOVE Bucks County too, I sometimes just drive out there to see the
scenery, its so nice this time a year.

No, the governor vetoed that bill, 15 round magazines still stand.

Last edited by nodule; October 9, 2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old October 9, 2015, 02:33 PM   #12
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodule
So far from my research, the only 3 striker fired polymer 9mm pistols that ship with factory 15 round magazines are the HK VP9, Walther PPQ and Sig P320.
Didja forget the Glock 19?

Also, the Walther P99AS has the same magazine capacity as the PPQ, but has a DA/SA trigger with not only a standard DA mode but also a unique "Anti-Stress" (hence the AS suffix) mode that yields a long pull with light weight. This is a neat feature that you really have to try out to appreciate; additionally, IMHO the P99AS SA trigger is better than the PPQ trigger (and I'm certainly not the only person on this forum who thinks so).
Old October 9, 2015, 02:40 PM   #13
nodule

yes

Oh, Yes I did forget the Glock 19. Unfortunately, the grip is just a bit too small
where my pinkie finger falls off.
Old October 9, 2015, 02:45 PM   #14
2ndsojourn

"As a side note to the 15 round thing...wasnt NJ talking about reducing the allowable mag limit to 10 rounds just recently? Did that not pass?"

Gov. Christie vetoed it.
Old October 9, 2015, 03:30 PM   #15
JDBerg

Friend, just please move out of Jersey! The local cops and the NJ State Police at the Hamilton barracks near where you live are not so much anti-gunners, but they are charged to enforce the draconian NJ gun laws to the extreme. If you get stopped and your gun is not locked in your trunk or you can't prove that you are enroute to a shooting range because it's late at night or a holiday when the range is closed, you are royally screwed, you could be faced with a felony. You know that you stand no chance of getting a carry permit, right? And that is no going to change; I can't even get reciprocity rights for my Pennsylvania carry permit. The "Anti's" are everywhere in Jersey, and they would just love to make an example of you! So if you don't move, make sure you follow the NJ firearms laws to the letter!
Old October 9, 2015, 03:37 PM   #16
Pinky Carruthers

Walther all the way.
SOM
Old October 9, 2015, 03:43 PM   #17
lifesizepotato

I know someone in NJ with a USP Expert 9mm. Those are fabulous so I'd vote for that.
Old October 9, 2015, 04:45 PM   #18
Xdm nut

I too am in the same boat as you in NJ. If you buy from any NJ gun store they will have any mag pinned to 15. I own 3 xdm's. I love them. The 9mm has a 19 pinned to 15 before I bought it. That's the only way they can sell them.

Find a range near you or contact me for the name of one where you can rent a gun and try it before you buy it. It pays off in the long run. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jeremy
Old October 9, 2015, 09:43 PM   #19
nodule

ok

xdmnut,

Does pinning a magazine compromise its quality or function in anyway? Cause
jams or malfunctions when shooting? There is just something about pinning
that scares me off.
Old October 9, 2015, 09:46 PM   #20
nodule

yes

JDBerg,

I know that and I have absolutely NO desire or need to carry! Why on earth would
I need to carry?? I do never ever feel threatened, no one is after me and I live in a VERY safe community.
I gonna be honest, I really dont get this whole urge, desire and total excitement guys here have about needing to carry??

The shooting sport to me is STRICTLY casual range fun, shooting targets and such. I have NO desire to compete, learn combat techniques, etc.

Also, I am VERY familiar with the NJ firearm transport law and follow them to the letter!
Old October 9, 2015, 10:21 PM   #21
Oysterboy

Fair enough.
Old October 9, 2015, 10:39 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
I know that and I have absolutely NO desire or need to carry! Why on earth would
I need to carry?? I do never ever feel threatened, no one is after me and I live in a VERY safe community.
I gonna be honest, I really dont get this whole urge, desire and total excitement guys here have about needing to carry??
I'd wager most of the victims of mass shootings felt the exact same way, right before it happened to them.

Quote:
The shooting sport to me is STRICTLY casual range fun, shooting targets and such. I have NO desire to compete, learn combat techniques, etc.
Then why not a .22?
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 9, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old October 9, 2015, 11:36 PM   #23
marine6680

The VP9 is an excellent pistol.

For range duty, it has a very nice trigger, and standard capacity is 15rds.

With the backstraps and side plates, it would be hard to not make it comfortable in the hand.

I use the small backstrap and medium side plates, and it fits my hand wonderfully.

The PPQ is also very good, and has a better trigger than the VP9 I feel, though the adjustability of the HK puts ergos in its favor. The PPQ is also 15rd standard.

While I find the p99 trigger interesting, I do not like it. The break is too far back. The length of pull to the trigger is short, so when the trigger breaks, it feels like I am practically touching my palm.

But that is a subjective opinion.

Last edited by marine6680; October 9, 2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old October 9, 2015, 11:41 PM   #24
chris in va

Hey, to each their own. No need to carry if you don't want to.

I do want to ask why a polymer, striker gun. For purely range use why not something with a more precise trigger that uses a hammer? I'd be looking at something with a 5" barrel or thereabouts, not a 4" striker fired combat handgun.
Old October 9, 2015, 11:42 PM   #25
marine6680

If we go beyond poly strikers... I vote a CZ 75 or Sig 226 as being great options.