The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 22, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Tomsriv

Winchester Model 57 Long R

The other rifle I received from my now deceased grandfather is a Winchester Model 57 Long R. It is a .22 with a side mount scope. I did a google search and a forum search and noone has mentioned the model 57. Is this an unusual rifle? It is in ok shape, and not nearly as sexy as the 30-06 I received, but I am still curious about its origins. All I know is that it my grandfather got it from one of his old girlfriends. It had belonged to her ex-husband. Does anyone know in what years these were produced? The serial number is 21736.

Also, the clip is missing. Is this something that I could replace easily, or is it specific to the rifle? The clip sits inside the body of the rifle and is released with a button on the side.
Old January 22, 2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Blue Book says Winchester 57 was made 1926 to 1936.

I think all those Winchester side-button .22 magazines are the same. Numrich has aftermarket replacements.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...KU=294390A&MC=

Some discussions on them in Rimfire Central, like:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=winchester+57
Old January 22, 2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Tomsriv

Thanks Jim. This one is also alot older than I thought. I don't know how many rifles they made a year, but based on the serial number I would bet it is a 35 or 36.
Old October 22, 2007, 02:44 AM   #4
madd68

model 57

Hello, I just happened across you post for your model57 winchester it was made in 1931, here is the website i used to find the year

http://armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm
Old October 13, 2009, 08:01 PM   #5
RASteve

Winchester model 57

Let me give you a little history of the Winchester model 57 as I understand it: production lasted for approximately 11 years from 1926 through 1937, making the newest of them over 70 years old. Somewhere between 27400 and 27500 were manufactured. It was to be marketed as a target rifle and was sold with a Lyman receiver sight and a folding leaf sight on the barrel. Most of them were sold with a blade front sight but I have seen several with what appears to be a globe front sight. It is a petite rifle weighing approximately five pounds and measuring 38 and ¾ inches from the heel of the stock to the muzzle. As for it being a target rifle, all I can say is that every one I have shot, and that’s three, have shot very well.
I still have 2 of the three; I sold the first one to a collector friend when I was a typical college student; read that broke! I've had the second for years and just recently acquired one in deplorable condition that I have restored. As I said early, they all shot well! Enjoy your gun.
Old March 18, 2011, 09:24 AM   #6
KBP75

Winchester Model 57

Hi! I'm looking for a barrel band for a Winchester model 57. I've looked EVERYWHERE! If you know where I can get one, please let me know! Thanks! Ken PS please don't send me to Numrichs or other suppliers. They DON"T have the barrel bands!