The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Brutus

44 plated bullet target loads for 1894 Marlin

Bought 500 200gr. Rainier flat points not realizing they have no cannelure.
Don't want to spend the money on a taper crimp die so I'm planning on using a light roll crimp. Would like to load up some target rounds at about 1100,1200 fps.
Does anyone have any experience doing this?
What overall length feeds reliably?
Am I at risk of bullet setback using a light roll crimp?
Will probably start with 8.5gr. of Universal or some combination of either AA#9 or AA#7.
Old June 22, 2014, 10:46 AM   #2
mikld

I'm sure you can get by using a roll crimp, lightly (very easy to bulge a case using a roll crimp on a straight bullet). I would suggest you consult your reloading manual for the OAL of a similar bullet and try a few to see if they feed reliably. What gun? 200 gr. FP on website is .45 caliber.

Load data, velocity, etc.;http://www.rainierballistics.com/faq.php
Old June 22, 2014, 11:20 AM   #3
SHR970

Brutus:

If you want to stay down at 1100 - 1200 fps use the Universal. It will down load to those velocities far better; even a starting load of #7 will get you at least into the 1600 fps. zone in a Marlin.

My OAL is set for 1.605" using 240 gr. RFN 240 gr. Xtreme plated. Works just fine in my Marlin.

Light roll crimp is fine; I don't use and have never bothered to use a taper crimp with plated for 357 and 44 Mag.s. Just a light to moderate roll crimp.
I have been using plated for a long time and have not found it necessary to buy a taper crimp as long as you keep the crimps reasonable for the type and brand of plated that you are using.
Old June 22, 2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Brutus

Thanks for the response SHR970.
I'll go with that O/L and the light roll crimp.
Powder shortage being what it is forces me to use what I have on hand, may try some WSF or Autocomp instead, they have a similar burn rate as AA#5 but it's tough to find load data for them. Hate to use the universal as I'm down to my last lb. and it's my go to for 45, 44 and 38 target loads, at least until I can get some Unique. The universal was my shotgun powder till I ran out of Unique.
Old June 22, 2014, 03:22 PM   #5
02bigdogs17

I also have some Raineer 200gr FP's that I have been wanting to try in my Marlin 1894 as well. Please let us know how your loads work out. If I load some I will probably use Unique with them. Are you going to chrono your loads Brutus? I would be interested to hear what they chrono at. I know Raineer recommends not shooting there bullets over 1200fps so if any of you have ever loaded these particular bullets and powder combo and fired them in a Marlin 1894 I would love to hear from you..