The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2008, 04:37 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Whats better, Old or new style case lube pads

Im wondering what gives you better case lubing and holds the lube the longest. Either the old style ink pad type or the new style styrofoam type pad? And how long does the lube last on the pad if you follow directions and add 1 tsp.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:50 AM   #2
clown714

can't answer your question.

but,I use the dillon spray.

stays on there until you tumble them clean.

never used a pad to lube cases.

but,I'm a newby,I've only been reloading for

a little over 20yrs.

clown
Old July 24, 2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Sport45

I use an old style pad and it works just fine. Didn't even know there was a"new style". I just dribble lines of Lyman case lube around the surface when I'm done and it's ready for the next session.

I'll do batches of 50-100 cases. Just a quick roll across the pad and I drop them in a plastic paint mixing cup. My case lube also stays on until I take it off.
Old July 24, 2008, 07:57 PM   #4
mikenbarb

Sport, I think its a new style? I have 2 RCBS fabric type in the silver metal cases and 1 RCBS foam one in a green plastic case. It seems like the old fabric ones do a better job but they go thru the case lube faster.
Old July 24, 2008, 10:36 PM   #5
ctulanko

I have been using the RCBS green lubing pad for near 30 years and it's old reliable. The new lubes are a dream compared to the old ones back then, which werea real bear to wipe off both your cases and hands. The new lubes are water soluable, making cleanup a snap.I bought some One Shot spray lube, but have never used it, mostly because I am in no hurry and I like old school and enjoy using the pad.
Old July 24, 2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Nnobby45

Both will "hold the lube" until you've lubed enough cases to deplete it. Then you have to put more on the pad--you certainly don't want it to stay there when it's on the cases that it needs to go.
Old July 25, 2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Shoney

How 'bout no pad at all. They only get cruddy with age. :barf:
Use Imperial Sizing Wax with fingers!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 25, 2008, 11:27 AM   #8
mkl

Shoney wrote:

Quote:
How 'bout no pad at all. They only get cruddy with age.
Well, follow the durn instructions that say to change the lube pad out every 30 years or so!

I agree with Shoney, that the finger method is best. The current generation of water based lubes work fair, but nowhere as good as some of the older petroleum based ones that were a pain to clean off the cases.

My opinion is based on the relative pressure I have to put on the press handle to force the case in and out of the resizing die.

Imperial sizing wax is pretty good, but the absolute best (least pressure to insert/extract from the die) that I have found is Rooster CFL-56 Case Forming Lubricant. This stuff was made to reform cases (e.g. 308 Win to .243 Win.) and not just resize them. Google for info. A small jar will do over 1000 cases.

Application is just like Shoney said -- finger method. Get a glob about the size of a pin head on a finger and lube five cases.

Naturally, I'm talking about bottle neck rifle cases, not straight wall handgun. For those (handgun) the "bag method" and Hornady One Shot works just fine.
Old July 25, 2008, 01:07 PM   #9
tom234

+1 Dillon spray lube. I threw away my old RCBS case lube pad.....
Old July 25, 2008, 05:31 PM   #10
Shoney

mlk: Here I am, pious potentate, commander-in-briefs, and supreme sovereign of my lil universe, and you have the audacity to shake my infallible wisdom by telling me there is a product better than ISW. OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!! Dooooooooooggggggggggggoooooooooone!!!!!!!

Now I’m going to hafta button up my pants and venture forth to purchase a vial of this vile substance, Rooster CFL-56 Case Forming Lubricant, for testing.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 25, 2008, 09:10 PM   #11
amamnn

I'm in the Imperial sizing wax camp. Hornady markets a similar product, but the Imp wax lasts forever.
Old July 26, 2008, 12:12 AM   #12
Nnobby45

Quote:
How 'bout no pad at all. They only get cruddy with age.
Use Imperial Sizing Wax with fingers!
I have some Imperial SW, but use it for setting dies and loading a few test loads.

Don't see myself lubing 200 '06 or .223 cases one at a time with my fingers. And since I've discovered spray lube, I don't see myself going back to pads.