The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 25, 2012, 08:04 PM   #26
tws92E05

I usually have a couple different rifles in the stand with me. If all the hogs that come out are small I will usually use my 204 Ruger and I always take ears shots. I haven't had one take a step with the biggest being about 100 pounds. If I have bigger pigs out I use my 270 and I try to take a shoulder shots and line up another pigs head for the exit. I ended up killing three doubles and one triple last year. Its not real hard here in Texas when you have 20 or 30 coming out at a time.

I got a new 50 cal muzzle loader at the end of the season last year and have been mainly hunting with that and having alot of fun. I have killed a couple hogs but have only taken shoulder shots but since it is so accurate I do believe I will put a few in the ear hole.
Old April 25, 2012, 09:50 PM   #27
rickyrick

Interestingly, I was Thumbing through the hunting regulations and a pellet gun is a legal weapon for hogs. It even specifically states pellet rifle.
Old April 25, 2012, 10:30 PM   #28
jstgsn

I'm surprised.

I would have thought that the proper shot would be the chest, hoping for lungs and heart, but based on shooting at center mass instead of the head or neck. True I don't know much about pigs, but if they are anything like other animals, the head and neck move around, looking for threats or food. I can see the ear or neck shots to finish them off, but thought the chest shot was the most ethical and offered a higher percentage of kill shots. Guess it's from practicing on shooting people and deer all my life.
Old April 25, 2012, 10:36 PM   #29
Flintknapper

rickyrick wrote:

Quote:
Interestingly, I was Thumbing through the hunting regulations and a pellet gun is a legal weapon for hogs. It even specifically states pellet rifle.
Since hogs are classified as "exotics" in Texas nearly any means are legal to take them (I.E. any legal rifle, Pistol, Bow, Knife, Spear, snares,Helicopters,Rocks, Pipe wrenches, what have you). They can be hunted at night with the aid of lights (private property) there is no bag limit or season (hunt them anytime, as many as you like).

If you can kill one with a pellet rifle, sling shot, blow gun or with your bare hands...the State of Texas doesn't care...and encourages land owners to reduce the number of Feral Hogs.
Old April 25, 2012, 10:46 PM   #30
MLeake

RE: Center mass and hogs

This link from about.com has a cross section diagram of a hog's vitals. http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbigg...toshoothog.htm

Center mass is actually aft of the liver.

Note how low the heart is, below and just behind the shoulder. Hogs also have a lot of hard cartilage around the shoulder.

Good odds a bullet will have to go through upper leg bone, and possibly rib bone and / or shoulder cartilage, depending on angle.

I've seen hogs run a good distance after a "center mass" hit from a 12ga slug.

Vitals on deer are arrayed somewhat differently. http://wildgameprocessing.tripod.com/deeranatomy.html
Old April 25, 2012, 10:56 PM   #31
Flintknapper

Quote:
I would have thought that the proper shot would be the chest, hoping for lungs and heart, but based on shooting at center mass instead of the head or neck.
Its a viable shot and depending upon circumstance might be the best thing to do. But experienced hog hunters will often target the neck in order to anchor the animal on the spot.

Quote:
True I don't know much about pigs, but if they are anything like other animals, the head and neck move around, looking for threats or food.
The head can move around quite a bit (mostly up and down when feeding) and is capable of articulating on the Atlas and Axis, BUT for the most part hogs tend to move their heads laterally....very little.

It has to do with their field of vision which is something on the order of 270° or better. Additionally, their tendency is to turn (the entire body) to face anything they perceive to be a threat or want to investigate.

As a result...the neck (besides the Atlas and Axis moves very little...so makes a good target (the larger the hog the better).

Quote:
I can see the ear or neck shots to finish them off, but thought the chest shot was the most ethical and offered a higher percentage of kill shots.
The thoracic region...as you would expect, does make the largest target...so depending upon the shooters level of accuracy (and other factors) it might be a good place to aim, but it is by no means the "best" place IMO.

If you do choose to take that shot, remember to aim no farther back than the middle of the shoulder. The classic "behind the shoulder" shot that is appropriate for (most) ungulates, does not work as well on hogs. The vitals are situated somewhat differently.
Old April 25, 2012, 11:09 PM   #32
Flintknapper

Quote:
This link from about.com has a cross section diagram of a hog's vitals.
In the link provided the rendering of the hog is anatomically incorrect in a number of ways. BUT, the central point....(aim closer to the shoulder) IS a valid point.

Thank you for helping to point that out. The reputation of wild/feral hogs for being "tough" is largely undeserved and is owing in no small part to poor shot placement (read too far back).

While those shots ultimately kill the animal, more often than not, the hog will run a long distance or require several "follow up" shots (usually similarly placed). The hunter is then left thinking "man these things can really soak up the lead"!

Any reasonable bullet/cartridge combo accurately placed in the neck will drop almost any hog....almost every time. IF circumstance permits, take that shot.
Old April 26, 2012, 04:35 AM   #33
rickyrick

Did yall mean like this?

Old April 26, 2012, 02:34 PM   #34
Saltydog235

If I thought a pig woudl get gangrene and die I'd shoot one in the butt with a Red Ryder. Dang vermin is what they are.
Old April 26, 2012, 02:48 PM   #35
rickyrick

Exactly
Old April 26, 2012, 02:53 PM   #36
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
This link from about.com has a cross section diagram of a hog's vitals.
Quote:
In the link provided the rendering of the hog is anatomically incorrect in a number of ways...
Specifically Mleake, go back and look at post 17 in this thread. Note that the images is to help teach deer hunters about hog anatomy, but the guy got so much wrong that I would not trust it for correctly displaying anything.