The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 12, 2006, 11:03 PM   #1
littlmak

Outdoor Range Shooters/Reloaders

For those of you who reload and use outdoor ranges. Rifle and pistol. How do you collect your spent brass? It must get tedious if you shoot 100 rounds and need to comb the grass afterward. I was thinking of bringing a roll of tent window screen or a cheap plastic tarp of some kind to lay on the ground. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there some other way to do this in a timely manner?
Old October 13, 2006, 05:44 AM   #2
Lurper

Several companies make brass mats. Too lazy to find one and link it for you. I don't use one. I shoot at least 500 rounds when I practice (almost every day). I use the time spent picking up brass to wind down and evaluate the practice session. It doesn't take that long, but our ranges are dirt, not grass.
Old October 13, 2006, 11:37 AM   #3
TheGrouch

Hang the tarp vertically so that spent rounds hit, bounce off and form a pile 2ft in diameter. Other than that you can use a brass catcher:

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe...=brass+catcher

Beyond that if you are looking for complete brass control, you'll have to use bolt-action rifle and revolvers.
Old October 13, 2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Venison_Jerkey32

At home depot and some stores you can buy magnets with handles, like a broom, but with a magnet on the end. I don't know how magnetic shells are, but it might help.

Last edited by Venison_Jerkey32; October 13, 2006 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 13, 2006, 02:15 PM   #5
JDG

I use a plastic tarp, but when it's windy, ya better bring something to hold er down