The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 26, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Beretta686

Non-tin-foil-hat Saiga-12 drum DD info?

I just got a 20-round drum for my Saiga-12 SBS and it's about the most fun I've ever had with a shotgun (cactus are great to blast with it!).

I googled the topic of the ATF declaring the Saiga-12 with a drum a Destructive Device, but all I could find was paranoid smoke without any fire. It's as though the ATF posted their notice at Glenn Beck's FEMA death-camp and only those with a tin-foil-hat can find information.

Does anyone have real tangible information on it?

And on a corollary, if for some reason it was declared a DD, would it already being an short-barreled-shotgun preempt having to register it as a DD?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 26, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
David Hineline

Congress took care of that, your shotgun is good to go.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...ess-gun-owners
Old February 26, 2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Beretta686

Great! Thanks for the real info, as opposed to wild-eyed rumors and such.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 27, 2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Skans

I only wish someone other than Saiga made these - specifically with a heavier stamped receiver - I'd be all over it if there was such a thing.
Old March 1, 2012, 04:11 AM   #5
kozak6

Quote:
And on a corollary, if for some reason it was declared a DD, would it already being an short-barreled-shotgun preempt having to register it as a DD?
This question came up in a previous theoretical Saiga ban thread, but it never got an answer.

There were SBS-ed USAS-12's and Streetsweepers when they were declared DD's, so it seems there should be an answer.

I'm curious, though, if it actually matters. Are there any states that allow SBS's but not DD's?
Old March 1, 2012, 08:08 PM   #6
MagnumWill

Quote:
as opposed to wild-eyed rumors and such.

...you mean "wild-fonted" rumors, i bet?
Old March 15, 2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Webleymkv

While I don't remember the exact source, I seem to remember the ATF saying that they would not ban or declare the Saiga 12 a DD based soley on aftermarket accessories. As I understand it, guns like the Stryker 12 were ruled destructive devices not because of aftermarket parts, but rather because they were never offered in a "sporting" configuration to begin with.
Old March 15, 2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Skans

Even if BATFE declared it a DD, all you would have to do is register it on a Form 1 - fingerprints and picture required, but otherwise no charge for registration. I had to do this with my USAS-12. And, yes, it's a ton of fun to shoot 20 12 gauge slugs, buckshot, etc. as fast as you can pull the trigger.