The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2012, 09:16 AM   #26
NickySantoro

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. - Thomas Jefferson
Old February 20, 2012, 12:49 PM   #27
MTT TL

Quote:
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.
Maybe. What is unjust?
Old February 20, 2012, 02:08 PM   #28
tyme
Staff

If someone can articulate a position, and is willing and eager to discuss that position, I think I would put up with almost any amount civil disobedience from them.

If someone is merely parroting tired old talking points, and is unwilling to engage in reasonable discussion, I think they give up the privilege of having their civil disobedience tolerated.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; February 20, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:23 PM   #29
Chris_B

who's "we"? and who determines 'arguably legal'? Is the original idea here moral justification for breaking laws that are not legally binding, or mere rationalization for doing anything somebody feels like?
Old February 20, 2012, 06:27 PM   #30
MrDontPlay

I believe that there are laws and that there aregod given rights. I believe that the right to defend yourself is a god given right, some places it is against the law.
Old February 20, 2012, 08:15 PM   #31
Herr Walther

In some places it is against the law to defend yourself with a firearm. Is that a just law that infringes on the Constitution that should be followed?

Or can/should that be ignored if changes through normal channels cannot be effected?

Suppose someone wants to carry a gun in that jurisdiction for personal protection? Does that fact make that person any more dangerous to you than one who follows the law in another jurisdiction that mandates a permit to exercise a Constitutionally guaranteed right?
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 20, 2012, 10:32 PM   #32
Odd

Who is the ideal citizen? Someone who can reason and make moral decisions on his own or the obedient, blindly loyal law abiding citizen who cannot think for himself?

Then there is also the matter of de jure and de facto.

In Mexico, by law, firearms are strictly controlled, however:
From http://www.npr.org/2012/01/28/145996...stance-on-guns
Quote:
The director of a pro-gun website called Mexico Armado said there is no popular movement at the moment to liberalize the nation's gun laws. Perhaps, he added, that's because anybody who wants a weapon in Mexico — be they a good guy or a bad guy — has no problem getting one.
I think of the law as a yoke that domesticates and tames man. Some bear the yoke without a second thought. Others tolerate the yoke but will cast it off when necessary.

Reason for edit: Found better example

Last edited by Odd; February 21, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:53 PM   #33
BlueTrain

Alas! Tis not so simple, for such a person would hardly count himself as a citizen of anything, would he? And does it follow that a person who follows the law (and even when there are only ten, it is difficult) is not thinking?

At the same time, I realize that some who are among us do not obey the law at all, if no one is watching.
Buy War Bonds.
Old February 21, 2012, 01:53 PM   #34
Doyle

Quote:
My point is just like owning a gun, I do not use it to shoot innocent people or threaten others, I believe I have the right to keep my gun, some people say it is illegal and should not be promoted, I disagree, the law is the law, my human rights or individual freedom is another point you cannot use the law to judge me.
Dude, you live in China. That means you don't own a gun. Get over it or move out.
Old February 21, 2012, 02:39 PM   #35
Edward429451

People do it here just like over there and its from fear to follow the law blindly.

Everyone has an innate desire to be a good guy and stay out of trouble. With guns its the same. If I follow the law and do what they say, perhaps they will leave me alone and let me be with my family...

I better stop there before I offend anyone...
Old February 21, 2012, 02:43 PM   #36
Edward429451

Quote:
Dude, you live in China. That means you don't own a gun. Get over it or move out.
Ha! How do you know? He probably has a gun and is scared of all of his friends turning him in from some stupid blind obediance training thing so ponders why...

If they take my guns, I'm going out the next day and replace it and don't say that it can't be had on the black market because anything can for the price.
Old February 21, 2012, 02:48 PM   #37
johnbt

"Everyone has an innate desire to be a good guy and stay out of trouble."

Everyone? What about the sociopaths and psychopaths? Ever work a psychiatric caseload of any sort? That reminds me of a man I had to evaluate at the old VA state pen on Spring Street, but that story will have to keep for another time.
Old February 21, 2012, 02:57 PM   #38
jimbob86

Quote:
"Everyone has an innate desire to be a good guy and stay out of trouble."
I know this to false. I have met people who have no desire to meet the kids they ....... fathered would not be accurate ..... begat?
Old February 21, 2012, 03:36 PM   #39
Skadoosh

Quote:
Although China is no democratic society, it is not as tightly controlled as the Soviet Union.
The Soviet Union hasnt existed since 1991...

Quote:
Quote:
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. - Thomas Jefferson
Maybe. What is unjust?
Unjust (Adjective): Not based on or behaving according to what is morally right and fair.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:57 PM   #40
MTT TL

Quote:
If someone can articulate a position, and is willing and eager to discuss that position, I think I would put up with almost any amount civil disobedience from them.
Too bad you are not a judge. I can make a pretty good argument for the banking system executives being corrupt and unjust therefore I should be able to liberate them of their ill gotten gains.
Old February 21, 2012, 04:50 PM   #41
BlueTrain

Okay, go ahead. We can form our own little soviet.
Buy War Bonds.
Old February 21, 2012, 05:42 PM   #42
MTT TL

Quote:
Okay, go ahead. We can form our own little soviet.
Running dog capitalist Illuminati exploiting the proletariat to build Ipods for opiated couch potatoes (oh wait that is China... Apple.... whatever )

Making allowances for nearly everyone with different ideas of what the law should be law is not wise. It is very much the same as blind obedience to the law. Either way you are lying to yourself.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:23 PM   #43
Tom Servo
Staff

...and, we're completely off topic.

Whatever that topic was.
Closed Thread