The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 4, 2013, 12:54 AM   #1
kraigwy

It's offical, Hi Viz Shooting system is moving to Wyoming

Hi Viz Shooting system is moving to Laramie WY, according to the Casper Newspaper Trib.com.

One company for sure stuck to its promise to move if Colorado passed its silly gun laws.

Others are planning to move but no decision for a location yet.

Looks like Wyoming is going to be a huge gun industry state. Hard to find a more gun and business friendly state.

SE Wyoming is a good choice for companies moving from the Ft. Collins area, beings employees can commute without moving.

http://trib.com/business/hiviz-shoot...b21b4b2dd.html
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 4, 2013, 01:48 AM   #2
Dalek

Sorry to see them go but, as someone living in CO., I fully support their choice to do so.

Let this be a lesson to others about what happens when we let sniveling politicians run wild.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
SaxonPig

I don't know why gun or accessory company would remain in an anti-gun state.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:45 AM   #4
steveno

I'm not sure that a Ft. Collins to Laramie commute in the winter time is something I would like to make every day. that stretch of hwy. 287 can get ugly at times. the thing that bothers me about these companies that are going to move is that their employees may not be able to afford the drive every day with gas prices the way they are or too deeply rooted in the towm to move. I'm sure the company doesn't want to lose their people either.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:10 AM   #5
2ndsojourn

Well, sadly, after enough employees, statewide, are affected by their legislatures, they'll start to vote differently. They need to get loud.
Old May 4, 2013, 02:32 PM   #6
hunttheevil

Steveno, I can't speak to the other companies but Magpul said all their employees are moving with them.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:22 PM   #7
steveno

so exactly where is Magpul moving to? I'm not sure how many they have working for them? I have heard numbers anywhere from 200 to 400 people and I would be surprised that many people can just pull up stakes and move. however it is commendable for that many people to do so.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:59 PM   #8
deepcreek

I don't think a commute from Ft Collins to Laramie would be very doable in the winter, blizzards, drifting whiteouts, with pure black ice.
Old May 4, 2013, 04:30 PM   #9
steveno

I lived in Windsor for 21 years and worked in Ft. Collins & Loveland in those years. there is a lot of weather that Laramie (and Cheyenne) gets that Ft. Collins doesn't get. it could be 50 degrees in Ft. Collins and south bound semi's from Wyoming would have snow on them.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:30 PM   #10
bustersmaster

Driving after dark in much of wyoming is a white knuckle trip. Jack rabbits in the center of the highways the size of german shepards and the "deer and antelope playing" on the shoulders of the road. I tried driving all night once and lost my nerve a little after midnight.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:32 PM   #11
LockedBreech

Hey, I live there!

As for the Highway 287 commute, I always take I-80 to I-25 via Cheyenne anyway. 287 is theoretically quicker but in reality having taken about a billion trips to FoCo it's only about 5-10 minutes quicker at most, and slower when it's nasty and slick. Also an extraordinarily dangerous little stretch of road, I have personally known 3 people who died or were crippled on it the 6 years I have been here.

I've been taking 200+ mile drives at night in WY since I was 16. It's not bad if you're an attentive driver but you definitely have to look out for wildlife.

I'll be leaving Laramie in about a year. I love this state but the weather is truly horrible in this part of it.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:19 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Steveno, I can't speak to the other companies but Magpul said all their employees are moving with them.
What I read was employees would have the opportunity to move. No details on relocation allowance or similar. I seriously doubt everyone at Magpul can make the move or that Magpul can afford to relocate everyone.

I thought they said they would be manufacturing out of state by now, but it seems the have not moved anything yet.