The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 4, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1
otisrush

Shipping C&R Long Gun

I need to ship a piece that I think is a C&R. I'd appreciate any input.

Topic 1: Is this a C&R?
The piece I believe is somewhat odd. From a little bit of research I've done it seems to be a Stoeger Flintlock made in the early 20th century for the trade market. I would assume this would classify as a C&R - from both the technology and age of production, if my reading of the C&R def is accurate.

Topic 2: Shipping To Another State
I think I'm concluding I need to ship it to a C&R licensee in the destination state. Is that correct? How does one go about finding a C&R licensee? A regular FFL is pretty straightforward - one finds a storefront. How about C&R? And does anyone have experience shipping something like a long flintlock? Just box it up like anything else and ship? Is there a preferred carrier?

Thanks.

OR
Old October 5, 2011, 06:10 AM   #2
noelf2

Flintlock and percussion muzzleloading rifles, musket, and guns are not c&r but they do not require any ffl license to ship or receive. They are exempt. Just box it up and send it.
Old October 5, 2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Flintlock and percussion muzzleloading rifles, musket, and guns are not c&r but they do not require any ffl license to ship or receive. They are exempt. Just box it up and send it.
In addition, a Class 03 Collector of Curio and Relic licensee (C&R) would not be allowed under law to receive a C&R firearm for another person. this would be acting as a dealer which is prohibited for C&R license holders. Anything that would have to be sent to a FFL holder would have to be sent to a dealer FFL.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 5, 2011, 03:55 PM   #4
mkk41

There are no federal laws regarding muzzleloaders , but some states/localities treat them the same as any firearm.
Old October 5, 2011, 04:09 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unless there is some law at either end, you can ship an antique gun (or a replica thereof) by USPS, and save quite a bit of money. You might want to talk to your local postmaster first to be sure they are aware of the regulations and won't "go postal" when you bring the gun in.

Jim
Old October 5, 2011, 04:11 PM   #6
primo1

As an antique you can also send through UPS.
Old October 5, 2011, 04:37 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think UPS and FedEx will charge more than the Postal Service, which is why I recommended USPS.

Jim
Old October 5, 2011, 11:41 PM   #8
otisrush

Yet again - TFL maintains its stellar reputation for having helpful and informative folks. Thanks so much for the info. It sure sounds like getting this piece to where I want it to go will not be a big deal - other than packing this cumbersome thing and making sure it doesn't get damaged.

Thanks a lot!

OR

Last edited by otisrush; October 6, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old October 6, 2011, 11:45 PM   #9
gyvel

Quote:
other than packing this cumbersome thing and making sure it doesn't get damaged.
Some folks go to Walmart and buy a cheap hard side gun case and use that as the shipping receptacle. I have seen them as cheap as $8.00. Just add it to the shipping cost. Saves a lot of headaches later on.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Winchester_73

Quote:
I think UPS and FedEx will charge more than the Postal Service, which is why I recommended USPS.

Jim
Actually no, Fedex is the cheapest of the 3 (for a long gun). Btw, I never priced DHL as a 4th option. When I had to ship K31s to C&R holders, UPS turned me around to their main pittsburgh office which is a bit of drive for me despite me having a C&R (they wouldn't handle ANY firearm unless at a main location). When I went to the main/local fedex office, they charged me approx $20 for each one (I had 2 to ship). They didn't ask me any questions, so I didn't tell any lies

USPS has new additional charges for non antique guns per my FFL and I can tell you from PA to Michigan with $300 insurance was nearly $35 from USPS but using fedex from PA to GA with $300 insurance was about $22. Big difference IMO.

As far as best choice, I would say this: if shipping an antique pistol or say a pistol or revolver with lead bullets (not loaded cartridges, just bullets) IE the gun with accessories which = additional weight, then USPS, due to the flat rate boxes. If its a long gun, I would go fed ex. Fedex doesn't ask you to declare what the item is unless its an international shipment. There are also no signs about weapons or ammo or anything prohibited. I'm fairly certain they don't care.

James K is right about legally being able to ship an antique firearm through USPS. You can ship most antique pistols, say 1911 or smaller for approx $15 with insurance with priority mail IE 3 day delivery under normal circumstance.

I buy and sell many things on ebay, and I started shipping guns to buyers as well. My info is first hand.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:44 PM   #11
TLeo

I have almost always used FedEx for C&R shipments but have had to declare the contents as a firearm for them but that was really no hassle. A lot of post offices have a stroke if you try to send a C&R weapon but some are okay with it. I guess it comes down to if the people working there know the regulations.
Old October 8, 2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Winchester_73

Quote:
A lot of post offices have a stroke if you try to send a C&R weapon but some are okay with it. I guess it comes down to if the people working there know the regulations.
I spoke to a post master one day about these issues. He stated hat only a 01 FFL can ship a non antique handgun through them. They have no special treatment for C&R handguns. He stated that shipping a long gun is ok as long as it stays in state or goes to a factory or FFL. But even so, they are more expensive than fedex.